Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-11, 08:15 PM   #1
avesta

Default Recommendation for Video editing/Gaming PC

I'm upgrading my PC after a long while, and I need a fast desktop for video editing and gaming.
I want a high end desktop since it be used for video editing, gaming, and may also be used as a home theatre system to a 42" TV.
I was thinking of something like this, and it's within my price range:

http://lucomputers.com/site/system_v...03116&class=52

CPU Intel Core i7 950 Quad Core 3.06GHz 8M 4.80 GT/s 130W LGA1366
CPU Cooling Cooler Master HYPER 212 PLUS (LGA1156/1136/775/AM3)
Motherboard MSI X58-M Intel X58 MATX 6 DDR3 1600 SATA FSB 6.4GT/S Audio 1394 GB Lan
Memory Kingston 1333 DDR3 (3x1GB) (KVR1333D3N9K3/3G)
Hard Drive Seagate 1TB (1000GB) SATA 3GB 7200RPM,32MB Cache
Optical Drive LG GH24LS50 SATA 24X DVD-RW DRIVE, LIGHTSCRIBE, BLACK, INTERNAL, Retail
Video Card Gigabyte Video Card GV-N450-1GI
Network Adapter Onboard Network Adapter
Power Supply Quality Quiet 550 Watt ATX Power Supply w/Large Fan
Case Coolermaster Storm Scout (Black)

Core i7 950 should be fast enough for what I'm doing I take it? I'm open to suggestions though.
I'm undecided on the video card. I'd like it to be a high end one, since I'll be using a multi monitor setup, and playing games. I wouldn't mind spending a little more for a better graphics card, but not in the $500 range. Any suggestions are appreciated.
avesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 08:26 PM   #2
Albo

Default Re: Recommendation for Video editing/Gaming PC

If you're serious with the video editing, you're going to need MUCH more than 3GB of ram. At least 6.

If you're knowledgeable enough with PC's and think you can build one yourself, I'd recommend that. Getting separate pieces, and building it at your house.
If you're going to build it, I'd recommend Sandy Bridge, (2500K) with a nice mobo. And with 6 GB of RAM. And a decent video card, maybe a 560 TI. That's what my friend got about a month ago, and from what he says its amazing.

Check out newegg.ca (Although the prices from what I've seen are higher in canada than in the US.)
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 10:16 PM   #3
avesta

Ok somebody recommended this to me:

Intel Core i5 2500K ($219.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819115072
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 ($189.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813128494
SAPPHIRE 100314-2SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 ($199.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814102913
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 @ CL8 F3-12800CL8Q-8GBRM ($113.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231327
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($99.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811119216
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 ($79.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817139019
SAMSUNG SpinPoint F3 1 TB 7200 RPM ($74.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822152185
LG GH24NS70 DVD Writer ($18.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16827136236

Subtotal: $997.92

I really like that setup, but i'm not sure about the 6870 though. I have a 22" crt that I insist on using with this machine, but it connects via vga. I'd also like to connect a flat panel LCD 22 or 23". But I'm not sure, the 6870 has two DVI outputs it seems, and 1 hdmi.
Old 05-15-11, 10:39 PM   #4
Albo

That's pretty much perfect. The video card should come with an adapter from DVI to VGA, if not you can pick one up for like a cup of coffee.

Check out the 560 ti, or the 6950, if you don't like that one. All three are pretty good.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 01:02 AM   #5
shilk

I wouldn't get an ATi card for video editing. If anything, OpenGL is used as a rendering engine so that's about it. But if a program is using CUDA, which is more common than ATi's API (Stream), then you're screwed. I got my 5770 for video editing a long time ago since OpenGL is what we use. But after a while, I needed to use other programs that used CUDA and I was pretty screwed.

But as of now, I have yet to see anything that actually utilizes Stream. There is NOTHING out there that uses it that I've come across for usage in day-to-day editing.

YMMV.
Old 05-16-11, 01:30 AM   #6
avesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilk View Post
I wouldn't get an ATi card for video editing. If anything, OpenGL is used as a rendering engine so that's about it. But if a program is using CUDA, which is more common than ATi's API (Stream), then you're screwed. I got my 5770 for video editing a long time ago since OpenGL is what we use. But after a while, I needed to use other programs that used CUDA and I was pretty screwed.

But as of now, I have yet to see anything that actually utilizes Stream. There is NOTHING out there that uses it that I've come across for usage in day-to-day editing.

YMMV.
So you think I should go with the 560 Ti over the 6870?
Old 05-16-11, 04:13 AM   #7
shilk

Out of those two, I personally would. So far my experience has been... varied... Both have pro's and cons, but it's really hard to say without knowing what it is exactly you'd be using it for other than gaming. I know you said video editing, but some of the more professional/costly programs out there take advantage of hardware and drivers as well.

My friend was building a PC and asked pretty much the same question. I told him that he'd probably have less issues with a NVIDIA card. He's not too PC savvy, so it was perfect for him. He doesn't have to fumble around with more than one installed program to get something to work. Or wait for an application to be supported via driver update. Long story short, he had to wait on numerous occasions for me to get my drivers sorted when we decided to play something together. It's always give and take with their drivers for me. Something works, but another thing is broken.

Even though ATi's offerings are plenty fast, it's sort of stagnant right now since the 6xxx series video cards are still fairly new, iirc. The drivers really haven't been ironed out as well as they should, imo. They feel really "amateurish" for some reason. They're constantly moving and changing things around at the driver level right at the release of their new videocards and it's kind of irritating.

Right now, there's this super-annoying bug where the mouse get's "laggy" in the upper right corner of the desktop/screen. For those that play RTS games and/or use that corner of the screen to navigate on the map, or even if you go up there to close a window that's maximized, you get snagged. It's irritating to say the least. I didn't even mention the 100% desktop idle bug, either. Or the pink-hued screen some people are still having. I have personally experienced all of these (still experiencing the mouse lag issue right now).

But as I mentioned, it varies. Some people have it, and some people don't. It's really weird.

When I had my NVIDIA card, I would just install and play. With ATi, I have to wait for a driver or CAPs (Catalyst Application Profiles) update which is a pain. I want to play NOW, not next month (if I'm lucky). It's a matter of patience as well. I honestly don't see why I have to roll-back drivers, disable mouse shadows or wait a whole month for the next driver set to fix a CURRENT bug in the drivers. I never understood that. They seriously need to get it together. They've released hotfix drivers, but it's getting really old, very fast for me. I spend more time messing with drivers and what not instead of being productive.

In the end, the only thing I like about ATi right now is the wattage consumption and how quiet they are. They also idle very, very cool. My 5770 is sitting at 27c right now. When my sister's boyfriend brought his PC over, I could hear the damn GTX 580 fan in the next room. Sounded like a freakin' minivac, LOL. If I had to use that for video editing or playing games, it would be pretty damn distracting to me. The 560 Ti should be fine though.

ATi's EyeFinity is nice... when it works. I remember I had to give it up since their only solution was to raise the idle clocks to keep the second monitor from flickering. Seriously. What was the freaking point of that? Their display overlay is broken right now as well.

I know it sound like I'm ripping on ATi right now, but my experience with them has been a big unnecessary headache. I would gladly take a NVIDIA card right now, but I just don't have the money. It was very cost-effective to go with the faster and cheaper card for the price range at the time, but in hindsight I should have waited.
Old 05-16-11, 07:15 AM   #8
K007

cuda is way more popular when it comes to video editing, u can see a lot of compression programs have the cuda check box to use...i personally don't have any experience with it..it might be alot faster...but i noticed ure going for the z68 series mobo...don't those have some special intel thing to help with video compression?

when it comes to gaming..i think both ati and nvidia are trading off small blows here and there...ati tends to be a bit cheaper, but nvidia does have phyx/cuda and none of ati features have eva really taken off....i mean eva...

there is not a single game out there that really takes ati's features to the next level....but do remember phyx comes at a performance cost...but most games from the ut3 engine run blazing fast..if it runs like ****...then its not ure card..its the dev.

i went with ati because for price/perfermance it was good, along with the heat and mine came with a sapphire customer cooler and o/c and it was still cheaper to its counterpart from nvidia with stock...and nvidia stock coolers are...god...just dont buy it stock. lol.

also with memory...go with the max u can support...memory timing is pointless...and the more you have the better it is..and belive me i did some ae editing...having that 8gb of ram vs 4gb...wow massssssssssssssive difference...the more the better!...get a quality brand...but stick to the standards...none of this o/c bull****...and don't be premium for amazing timing ones...totally and utterly useless...other than benchmarks at 640x480...

to the guy above me complaining about CAP drivers...i think ure just pulling pointless garbage...most of these games nvidia have their amazing logo stuck to it...ati doesn't even get a chance to play with the game/optimze the drivers...and the ati drivers have been top notch for me...yea they have some minor issues...but so does nvidia...i've been out of the nvidia bus for awhile now...but they release drivers left and right...and it was just quality over quantity.....i do how eva agree that ati drivers need to step up because the hardware it self is quality and the drivers are letting them down...but for me...personally i have not had much issues with the drivers...i just wish there was ATi logo in games instead of nvidia and more ati features....maybe next dx can help unify the features...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-11, 12:43 PM   #9
frenchy2k1

For video compression, forget CUDA and go with intel conversion engine inside the new core processor (definitly present in the i5 2500K). The Z68 should let you use it while using an external vid-card too.

It's both faster and better quality.
Old 05-16-11, 05:22 PM   #10
shilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
to the guy above me complaining about CAP drivers...i think ure just pulling pointless garbage...most of these games nvidia have their amazing logo stuck to it...ati doesn't even get a chance to play with the game/optimze the drivers...and the ati drivers have been top notch for me...yea they have some minor issues...but so does nvidia...i've been out of the nvidia bus for awhile now...but they release drivers left and right...and it was just quality over quantity.....i do how eva agree that ati drivers need to step up because the hardware it self is quality and the drivers are letting them down...but for me...personally i have not had much issues with the drivers...i just wish there was ATi logo in games instead of nvidia and more ati features....maybe next dx can help unify the features...
This is all, of course, my personal experience. So take it as you will. Don't let it sway your purchase, avesta. But K007 pretty much said the same thing.

When ATi gets the drivers right, they're fine. It's not about what company sleeps with the developers to ensure their hardware works with an application. It's the overall compatibility. Big difference there.

You can sit there and not have to update NVIDIA drivers for ages and be contempt. New application or game comes out and you'll most likely not have to worry about it. With ATi, you're waiting for the compatibility. They have awesome hardware and image quality, but its the drivers that are holding them back.

What's broken in one driver set gets resolved in the next release, only to come back in the release after that again. Then that bug gets put on the back burner for ages. That's what pisses me off. I couldn't keep track of how many times OpenGL was broken in CS5 since the 10.4 driver release until now. At least on my NVIDIA rig (that's MUCH slower and used part of a render farm), has been doing just fine for 6+ months now without a driver incompatibility. I don't have half the issues most people report, but when I do get them, it really, really takes a lot of patience to mess with a fix.

I know Terry Makedon stepped down from the Catalyst role back in December, and Andrew has replaced him. He's doing a great job, but they really need to work on their drivers. It's really disheartening when they can't stay consistent. But, they're releasing yet another hotfix driver (11.5 RC3) for single GPUs and performance issues with Brink, tomorrow. I don't play it, but that's awesome. They're getting there slowly but surely.
Old 05-16-11, 07:07 PM   #11
Bman212121

If you have quality videos I don't know of a program that will utilize CUDA. You'd want to encode to x.264 so it's going to be dependent on the processor. A Sandy Bridge 2600K would be a better buy IMO since it has higher clock speeds. That would mean a different board and memory setup though.

Have an ATI card here. No real reason to complain about the drivers. Install them and forget about it. I don't feel the need to update them every month so that could be why they work better than if you constantly were switching them out. Would agree that there might be issues with certain releases, so the best thing to do is just figure out which releases were solid and stick with that.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 02:28 AM   #12
avesta

thanks for the response guys.
I'm pretty new to video editing so I'll be doing only basic stuff, but I'll be using some HD sources and I'd definitely like the ability to output nice HD videos.
I have a 22" CRT that goes really high on the res, and I'll be getting another screen - an LCD flatpanel to have a dual monitor setup.
As for gaming I'll be playing quite a lot if I find the time, so I'd like to have a decent card.