Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-11, 04:26 AM   #277
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/n...e-card-king/16

The GTX 590 definitely uses more power under load (discounting the furmark results as nvidia throttles their cards on that)
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 07:46 AM   #278
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/n...e-card-king/16

The GTX 590 definitely uses more power under load (discounting the furmark results as nvidia throttles their cards on that)
The 11W and 15W differences you linked are pretty irrelevant given the power consumption of these cards. No one will be saying,"I'm environmentally conscious, so I use a 350W 6990 instead of a 365W 590!". (at least no one who doesn't want to look foolish)

The only factor that matters in the power/heat/noise category is noise, because it's the only metric with a significant difference. (most reviews I saw had the 6990 50-100% louder)
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 11:25 AM   #279
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Only a matter of time before this moron is banned again.
Amen
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 12:53 PM   #280
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
The 11W and 15W differences you linked are pretty irrelevant given the power consumption of these cards. No one will be saying,"I'm environmentally conscious, so I use a 350W 6990 instead of a 365W 590!". (at least no one who doesn't want to look foolish)

The only factor that matters in the power/heat/noise category is noise, because it's the only metric with a significant difference. (most reviews I saw had the 6990 50-100% louder)

That's not so much the point i was making though....It's mostly that it wasn't that long ago where if a card used more than 200 watts and was a power hog and didn't perform well and was noisy and ran hot,it was considered a failure basically for not taking the speed crown.....One that comes to mind is ATI's X2900XT wich didn't live up to the hype.


Here we have cards using 350 watts +, do run hot and can be very noisy, but their performance is great in either case, yet that 50% + power consumption is now somehow acceptable?...It's that moving goalpost attitude that having great performance justifies all the other drawbacks that come with it, be it increased power consumption, or heat or noise.


Where you do draw the line though?.....The current cards already exceed the 300 watt limit of the PCI-e express specification quite easily afterall, so will users accept even higher power use from next years cards if it doubles performance over what we have now?
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 02:43 PM   #281
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
The 11W and 15W differences you linked are pretty irrelevant given the power consumption of these cards. No one will be saying,"I'm environmentally conscious, so I use a 350W 6990 instead of a 365W 590!". (at least no one who doesn't want to look foolish)

The only factor that matters in the power/heat/noise category is noise, because it's the only metric with a significant difference. (most reviews I saw had the 6990 50-100% louder)
The fact of the matter is the GTX 590 uses more power than the HD 6990. The reason I posted this is because someone said the HD 6990 uses more power, which is clearly not true.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 02:49 PM   #282
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
The fact of the matter is the GTX 590 uses more power than the HD 6990. The reason I posted this is because someone said the HD 6990 uses more power, which is clearly not true.


Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 05:03 PM   #283
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
The fact of the matter is the GTX 590 uses more power than the HD 6990. The reason I posted this is because someone said the HD 6990 uses more power, which is clearly not true.
I'll buy that.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 05:11 PM   #284
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

I see nobody answered that question i posted earlier:


Quote:
Where you do draw the line though?.....The current cards already exceed the 300 watt limit of the PCI-e express specification quite easily afterall, so will users accept even higher power use from next years cards if it doubles performance over what we have now?
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-11, 06:03 PM   #285
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
I see nobody answered that question i posted earlier:
Who cares? If you buy the card you don't care about power. If you do care about power buy a lower powered card.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 06:31 PM   #286
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Where you do draw the line though?.....The current cards already exceed the 300 watt limit of the PCI-e express specification quite easily afterall, so will users accept even higher power use from next years cards if it doubles performance over what we have now?
Of course they will. Why wouldn't they?

If you look at the performance compared to the wattage they actually aren't all that bad. If these cards didn't exist and you tried to get the same performance, you'd have to use two cards and your power usage would be even higher.

Where do you draw the line? You don't, because the line will move every time the performance of these cards go up. What's acceptable power usage on say a 580 isn't acceptable on much older card.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 06:36 PM   #287
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Who cares? If you buy the card you don't care about power. If you do care about power buy a lower powered card.

It's mostly about reaching thermal limits while keeping it quiet really, and Air coolers can only go so far, then it's the issue of the amount of heat that gets released into the case, and while i know people can add more fans to improve the air circulation inside the case, it can also make it sound very noisy each time you turn it on....


For ****s and giggles, let's assume that next years high end single GPU card is twice as fast as a GTX580, but it also uses close to 300 watts(it's still PCI-e compliant), so put 3~4 of those in SLI and you got 900~1200 watts of power being pulled out of your power supply just for graphics, and that's before the user even overclocks the cards....



Keep in mind that i'm not even considering the requirements for the CPU's or how much they use when they're overclocked too, and that the majority of homes use 15 amp circuit breakers wich at 120 volts, means the outlet where the PC is plugged into delivers up to 1800 watts before the breaker pops open, or that power supplies are at most 85~90% efficient in converting that into DC power...


Taking a longer term view at this, i can imagine that if power consumption on video cards keeps going up like this, 3 and 4 way SLI or crossfire setups become impossible in practical terms within a couple of years....The total power requirements and heat/noise issues and strong enough power supplies and even the wiring in your house itself, might very well kill those kinds of extreme setups, with users being limited to 2 card setups at most for practical real world reasons ....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 07:40 PM   #288
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
It's mostly about reaching thermal limits while keeping it quiet really, and Air coolers can only go so far, then it's the issue of the amount of heat that gets released into the case, and while i know people can add more fans to improve the air circulation inside the case, it can also make it sound very noisy each time you turn it on....


For ****s and giggles, let's assume that next years high end single GPU card is twice as fast as a GTX580, but it also uses close to 300 watts(it's still PCI-e compliant), so put 3~4 of those in SLI and you got 900~1200 watts of power being pulled out of your power supply just for graphics, and that's before the user even overclocks the cards....



Keep in mind that i'm not even considering the requirements for the CPU's or how much they use when they're overclocked too, and that the majority of homes use 15 amp circuit breakers wich at 120 volts, means the outlet where the PC is plugged into delivers up to 1800 watts before the breaker pops open, or that power supplies are at most 85~90% efficient in converting that into DC power...


Taking a longer term view at this, i can imagine that if power consumption on video cards keeps going up like this, 3 and 4 way SLI or crossfire setups become impossible in practical terms within a couple of years....The total power requirements and heat/noise issues and strong enough power supplies and even the wiring in your house itself, might very well kill those kinds of extreme setups, with users being limited to 2 card setups at most for practical real world reasons ....
If you're really that worried about performance/watt you should own ATI cards as they have had the best performance/watt for a while.

Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.