Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-11, 11:20 PM   #37
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: Goodbye Onboard NIC. Hello Killer NIC 2100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
I have QoS set up and it works fine on my router. If someone else is downloading at full speed and I begin a download, it quickly equalizes our speed so we get about the same bandwidth. This also works for games, but I'm usually the only one on the net and I've got a 10Mb down line, so it's not an issue. It does not however affect what program gets more of the bandwidth on MY computer, which is what I'll be using the Killer NIC and its software for. I do things other than play games, but I prefer for the games on MY computer to be prioritized over all other traffic. I download/seed torrents 24/7, so this will fix my issue of my ping jumping around even though I've limited the upload of my torrent client to 1/2 of my upload speed of 220 KB/s.

The best you can do is name calling. Real mature.
See, now the problem here is, that according to the marketing of the NIC, it says it will do what you want it to above. Now, saying and doing are two different things, and according to this, it does not do what it says.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...network-card/5

Quote:
Our happiness was short lived though: as soon as we moved around in the game we knew something was wrong. Even though our ping was reported by the game as playable, the experience was very laggy. For example, wed walk forward through a door only to have the screen stutter before putting us back outside the doorway we walked through.

This kind of thing should be familiar to anyone whos attempted to play on a borked server, and it obviously made the game unplayable. Its intriguing that the Killer 2100 was doing enough work for the server to report our ping as 60ms, but its obvious that something was still stopping the game being playable. Whether our ping was micro-stuttering or we were losing too many data packets, we couldn't tell.
Spoofing low pings, and having low pings are also different things.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 11:37 PM   #38
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
The killer nic is only good for retards who cant figure out how to setup QOS on their routers.
don't forget, it also helps you snipe better in BC2.
Old 04-15-11, 02:19 AM   #39
AngelGraves13

I don't care about the marketing crap. If it offloads networking from my CPU then it is worth the $50 I paid for it.

Installed and working fine.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:33 AM   #40
Bman212121

Quote:
The killer nic is only good for retards who cant figure out how to setup QOS on their routers.
Done trolling yet?
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 01:07 PM   #41
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Done trolling yet?
No, I decided to change the device ID of my NIC to Killer 2100 and open up BC2. To my surprise it made me a much better sniper.

Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 03:26 PM   #42
AngelGraves13

I haven't played BC2 yet...It looks kind of boring, but I bought it on Steam when it was on sale.

The game I really want to play is BRINK, but Portal 2 will do till then.
Old 04-15-11, 05:52 PM   #43
AngelGraves13

Ok, so I've been using it a day now. It's better than onboard NIC for sure, which isn't a surprise.

It also offloads networking from the CPU to the NPU, which helps about 3-9%, but nothing major.

I've also used the software to configure which program gets the most bandwidth, which helps when running uTorrent and a game simultaneously. You can prioritize bandwidth from 1 to 4, and uTorrent is now set to the lowest while browsers and games are set to the highest. I left Steam in the middle so it can get normal priority, but not over web browsing.

All in all, better than onboard NIC. Software which only works with the Killer NIC is the most useful part of the Killer NIC. CPU offloading is great, but impact minimal. Every little bit helps though.

Happy with purchase
Old 04-18-11, 08:12 AM   #44
hirantha
SUC SUDO

Quote:
dang, i didn't know about Qos or i didn't wanna pay attention before.. I set my router to give the main priority to my gaming machine Mac address and wow to my surprise i got extra 8Mbs, now i got 30mbs .. Its amazing! browsing is faster too and no lag in games either.

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-11, 10:14 PM   #45
AngelGraves13

I setup the QoS today on my router...again.

I set my LAN port for the Highest priority and also created two profiles for Steam and Steamworks with their range of ports to get Highest priority for gaming. I have no idea what TCP/UDP ports other games use, but they probably fall in the same range, so I'm all setup on the router.

I found the ports used by Steam here if anyone is interested.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8571-GLVN-8711
Old 04-19-11, 04:16 AM   #46
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammu3 View Post
I decided to change the device ID of my NIC to Killer 2100 and open up BC2.
Another troll, and he doesn't even have original material. I'm disappointed.

What it didn't make you a better sniper? Oh wait...you're not Roadhog. You probably don't even have BC2.
Old 05-04-11, 04:17 PM   #47
AngelGraves13

Ok, so after playing games with this for over 3 weeks now, I can say it was a wise purchase for me.

I'm now able to download at my max speed of 1.4 MB/s and play a game at the same time. Before with my onboard NIC, the ping would be around 500ms and hit 1000ms every minute or so when I had uTorrent running. Now, I can run uTorrent and play L4D2 and my ping is about the same as if I wasn't downloading...about 70ms, usually lower when I'm not downloading, but that server was 60ms with uTorrent off.

So...UDP offloading works like a charm and games that use UDP have much lower ping when gaming. TCP ping is the same or slightly lower by 1 or 2 ms, and doesn't make a difference. That's what this card does...nothing more.
Old 05-18-11, 08:09 AM   #48
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
It averages about 5% CPU usage, sometimes hitting 8-10%. I'd rather have my CPU free to do more important things.
id get a dedicated soundcard instead, that would use more CPU than the lan
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote