Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-11, 09:38 AM   #13
moenchmeyer

Default Re: FX2800M - driver 260.19.44 - adaptive clocking not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
Yes, we normally expect this GPU to be able to switch clocks for power management purposes. When we tried to reproduce your problem we saw that our system changed clocks normally.
Dell has meanwhile exchanged the FX2800M against another FX2800M.

Unfortunately, this did not (!) change anything regarding Linux. Also the new FX2800M runs constantly at maximum frequency.

Dell has assured me that the do not modify the FX2800M behaviour by some electronics or switches on the cards.

Dell has asked me to perform some more tests under Windows 7 - with the GPU-Z tool. We tested different settings for the power saving options under Win 7.

With the recommended Win 7 "balanced" mode the FX2800M always runs at maximum frequency. Its temperature accordingly rises from 40 degrees Celsius to 58 degrees celsius - without any load - the PC is running practically idle. Disonnecting the power supply leads to a frequency reduction by one step - there it remains constant. This is the behaviour one sees under Linux, too.

However - if you you enable "prolonged akku time" (German: "Erweiterte Akku Betriebsdauer"), i.e. the maximum energy saving option under Win 7 and if you then disconnect the power supply the graphics card then changes it frequency step by step down to 200 MHz. However, it would not do it with the power cable connected.

I have attached the log-files from GPU-Z.

Dell has tried to do the same with an FX3800 on an M6500 and there the frequency changes are as expected - but only after you once activated the maximum power saving option.

Any ideas what the behaviour under Win 7 could mean ?

By the way: Dell is now going to fetch the M6500 to its lab in Halle, Germany, to perform further tests.
Attached Files
File Type: txt GPU-Z_Sensor_Log_Balanced_Powersaving.txt (66.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: txt GPU-Z_Sensor_Log_Erweiterte_Akku_Laufzeit.txt (82.7 KB, 58 views)
moenchmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 09:40 AM   #14
moenchmeyer

I should add that a change to Opensuse 11.4 with KDE 4.6.2 and Nvidia driver 270.41.06 did not change anything.
Old 05-02-11, 06:41 PM   #15
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, we can't reproduce this on any of the hardware we have in house. Please let us know if Dell finds anything interesting, or better: once they have reproduced the issue themselves, please have Dell Mobile file a bug with NVIDIA and send us the relevant hardware so that we can observe the issue.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 11:27 AM   #16
moenchmeyer

Some update on the problem:

Dell has checked my system in its German lab very extensively and confirmed that there is a real problem. To verify it they even took my harddisk with my linux installation and built it into another M6500 with an FX3800M and another LCD screen. Adaptive clocking worked with that system as expected and at once. So the linux/nvidia configuration was quite OK.

However, not with my system. After some more experiments they found out that a replacement of my FX2800M with a FX3800M did not resolve the problem. A change of the mainboard did not help either.

Actually, it seems to be the combination of the screen i my M6500 with the Nvidia mobile cards that causes the trouble regarding adaptive clocking. It is a high resolution white LED panel, which optically is a really brilliant panel in my opinion - the best I have seen in a laptop ! The other M6500 test system which worked correctly with my Linux/nvidia setup had a different and minor screen than my system.

Probably, Dell has got into contact with Nvidia and the panel supplier, meanwhile.

I find it very surprising that the combination of the graphics card with a special LED panel should stop adaptive clocking. What in the present drivers could cause such a behavior ?
Old 05-20-11, 12:46 PM   #17
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Is the panel a much higher resolution than the standard one? It's conceivable that the driver might need to keep the GPU at a higher performance level to be able to supply the bandwidth necessary to drive that resolution.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote