Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-20-11, 11:06 PM   #73
dikinher
Grab em!

Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

That was one of my gripes with the first Witcher. You couldn't run through a bush either.

Edit:

666 posts!!!!!! And the world is ending soon!!!!!! Six exclamation marks too!!!!!!
Old 05-20-11, 11:22 PM   #74
LurkerLito

After playing a while, I can say I love some parts of the game, like the quest system, the crafting, the upgrading system, the story as it is so far (still on chapter 1), and the graphics of course. Still I think they completely downgraded the GUI and the combat system and I am not liking those parts much.

I really loved the old combat system so this new one is not sitting well with me. It seems that mouse timing click thing is gone, stances gone, so it is just a plain old mouse click spamming. Add that to the fact that I am stuck in this battle

at the I think end of chapter 1 fighting Letho and for the past 90 minutes I can basically only hit him once dodge run away, over and over, and can't seem to get past this point; except the one time where I triggered the cutscene but he cast a fire spell on me right before it triggered, so after the scene I dropped dead and have do it over again . In the old system you could at least try to get a combo going, it doesn't seem possible in this battle I am on.

So, I am beginning to hate the combat system. Also the QTE system is not hard for the few I have done, but they are hard to see. It's a very small indicator on my 1920x1200 screen and amber in color and I really have a hard time noticing when a QTE starts.

When fighting the Kayran I died 2x after chopping off 4 of it's legs cause a QTE started but I didn't notice the amber colored press right mouse button indicator.

The GUI seems much worse than the original Witcher 1. Console-ish as if they are planning to port the game to consoles at some point. For example the quick meditate menus. If you are in that meditate kneeling mode, you can't access your inventory. This screen is like it was made for consoles. You can access only 4 modes and they are arranged on screen as if it were ready for a controller Up Down Left and Right. So if you are brewing potions, and just want to look how many of these potions you have in your inventory you can't. You have to exit meditate mode then go to inventory. The alchemy GUI is horrible. At first you think it's good cause it auto picks the ingredients for what you are brewing, but that is the biggest problem with it. If you use alternatives to the auto picked ingredients, it lets you, but once you make the potion it resets to the auto-picked ingredients again. And you can only make 1 at a time so if you want to make several using customized ingredients, it takes forever. The save/load system is functional but missing basic things like deleting old save files and no overwrite capability with the exception of the one quick save "F5" button that overwrites the one set file all the time.

Still overall I think it's the best RPG game of the year so far. Better than DA2 for certain.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 01:51 AM   #75
PeterJensen

crap game....no invert mouse....lame ass devs
Old 05-21-11, 04:51 AM   #76
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Whats this with invert mouse? I can understand it maybe in a flight same game but in a third person game.. that makes no sense..
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 06:38 AM   #77
Jon

I'm going to put it back in the box for a bit and see if they do anything with the performance over the next few weeks. No matter what graphics options I change I always get 15-28fps (out of combat) and the gpu is 50% used apparently. The only thing that makes a difference is switching the uber sampling on which drops me to 8-17fps. Just grabbed the latest nvidia beta drivers and no change.

I guess its a good thing as I'm working the next few weekends and really don't need the distraction.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 07:24 AM   #78
Sean_W

Shame it's not DX11 being a PC only game. Nobody ever said DX9 games don't look good but because it's PC they can ramp up the detail. DX11 just makes things easier to do, so they could have had a DX9 and DX11 mode.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 07:32 AM   #79
ATi
RooR

I accepted all the notices on the notice board in Flotsam. However they're not all in my journal. I did see that one of them was the Troll Trouble quest notice, but it didn't appear in my journal either. Are their some notices that don't give quest?
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 03:59 PM   #80
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATi View Post
I accepted all the notices on the notice board in Flotsam. However they're not all in my journal. I did see that one of them was the Troll Trouble quest notice, but it didn't appear in my journal either. Are their some notices that don't give quest?
Hmm, I had no issues with the quests. After I accepted them they were in my journal. Though the Troll Trouble one there was a kind of delay. I looked it wasn't there, so I thought maybe it didn't install right, but after I walk around it suddenly popped up that a new quest was added to the journal.

Quote:
Whats this with invert mouse? I can understand it maybe in a flight same game but in a third person game.. that makes no sense..
For you maybe for a lot of people, invert mouse is essential. I have played flight sims since the Commodore 64 days, so that is how I like it and don't want to change. I have before gotten use to "normal" Y axis type settings, and it just feels unnatural. And BTW it makes perfect sense cause like an airplane you are staring out to a monitor like looking out through the windshield of a plane and I am controlling the viewport like I was controlling a plane.

Quote:
crap game....no invert mouse....lame ass devs
The game is definitely great. There is a temporary config setting you can do to invert mouse for now, and this coming week they will officially patch it to be in the game menu. That is quick for a AAA game. Usually with larger companies, they take weeks of user complaints to issue a patch for things like these.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-11, 04:15 PM   #81
Redeemed

Hmm...

I've not played the first witcher, let alone this one. If I absolutely loved Oblivion, what are the odds of me liking these games?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 04:25 PM   #82
Sean_W

Just brought it today myself, comes with 4 DVDs, 2 for the game, one bonus and one sound track. 24.99 from Tesco if you like in the UK.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 06:35 PM   #83
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATi View Post
that quest is actually a dlc. you need to register your game through the launcher, then access the DLC through the Downloadable Content link on the launcher. then you can download/install the DLC through that menu. easier said than done however, since evidently their servers are getting pretty slammed. I'm getting like 20-50 KB/s, and that's when its not randomly dropping the connection.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 08:01 PM   #84
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Hmm...

I've not played the first witcher, let alone this one. If I absolutely loved Oblivion, what are the odds of me liking these games?
Combat is somewhat similar to Oblivion, but tuned for 3rd person, and without having a shield. You've got a quick attack (left mouse), power attack (right mouse) and parry/block (E). At first it seems like you're randomly clicking, but you actually have to time it, and pay attention to what your opponents are doing (and if they knock you down, you're pretty much screwed).

NPCs that occasionally accompany you have been invulnerable so far, and range from not helpful to helpful (they haven't gotten in the way yet, like some Oblivion companion mods). You have no control over companions, either (some mods gave you some control).

And the graphics are very, very pretty.

That's where the similarities to Oblivion end. Maps and moving through are lot like Baldurs Gate and BG2, actually, with an occasional on-rails section (this is rare, and happens when you've got something trying EAT you).

While you play as Geralt, you have lots of customization options with four skill trees (think Diablo 2 on steroids). You can also acquire bonus attributes and upgrades by finding hidden places, specific books and performing dialog actions.

Most of your gear comes from the crafting system - it's usually better to by the recipes and materials offer by a merchant or workshop than the equipment they sell - you get better stuff that way.

Witcher 2 is more what you'd expect from 90's era Bioware given modern technology than something you'd get from Bethesda; Oblivion's mostly a different style of game. Oh, and don't forget the game's ale and whores - those are very important
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote