Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-21-11, 09:15 PM   #85
Sean_W

Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidric View Post
I've gotten really good at the combat now . . . it was really daunting to learn initially, but once you figure it out you're a total badass. just learn to use your signs (defensive, offensive, crowd-control) as well as your bombs and traps, and learn when to dodge or parry. I won't get into too much detail (believe me, I could) but suffice it to say the combat in this game is incredibly deep.

as for the other aspects, game is absolutely gorgeous. haven't run into any issues stability/performance wise. story/writing/voiceacting are all top-notch so far. cdproject really brought their A game with this one.

Bioware/EA, take notes. THIS is how you do an RPG properly.
Yeah, I've been playing this for a short time and it's got quality all round and truely a PC worthy game. Just shows you what the PC can do and not some lame over processed blurry crap with low quality textures and detail.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 10:18 PM   #86
styles-T
-========-

Ok after hours of gameplay the only gripe I have is the in game options. I think they failed here as there are none. You have to set everything pre game which is ok but a bit annoying. I dont know why they wont let you set your keys in game if you decide to change stuff. Also the in game layout is a bit more complex then the first witcher. I wish they would have stream lined it a bit. It just seems easier to work through menus and items in the first witcher as opposed to part 2. Other than that its a solid game and a must buy!!
Old 05-21-11, 11:45 PM   #87
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Styles, the lack of key config is the only real big failure... and it is a pretty huge failure for a non-console port too. It will be in the patch in the coming week though.

I am disappointed the graphic settings are so far outside of the game as it makes it a big pain in the ass to test and tweak things.
Old 05-22-11, 02:45 AM   #88
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post
Combat is somewhat similar to Oblivion, but tuned for 3rd person, and without having a shield. You've got a quick attack (left mouse), power attack (right mouse) and parry/block (E). At first it seems like you're randomly clicking, but you actually have to time it, and pay attention to what your opponents are doing (and if they knock you down, you're pretty much screwed).

NPCs that occasionally accompany you have been invulnerable so far, and range from not helpful to helpful (they haven't gotten in the way yet, like some Oblivion companion mods). You have no control over companions, either (some mods gave you some control).

And the graphics are very, very pretty.

That's where the similarities to Oblivion end. Maps and moving through are lot like Baldurs Gate and BG2, actually, with an occasional on-rails section (this is rare, and happens when you've got something trying EAT you).

While you play as Geralt, you have lots of customization options with four skill trees (think Diablo 2 on steroids). You can also acquire bonus attributes and upgrades by finding hidden places, specific books and performing dialog actions.

Most of your gear comes from the crafting system - it's usually better to by the recipes and materials offer by a merchant or workshop than the equipment they sell - you get better stuff that way.

Witcher 2 is more what you'd expect from 90's era Bioware given modern technology than something you'd get from Bethesda; Oblivion's mostly a different style of game. Oh, and don't forget the game's ale and whores - those are very important
Hmm... your discription here doesn't seem to get me any more interested in this.

Thanks though. Been playing a lot of Oblivion in anticipation of Skyrim, but thought that maybe if I could find a great deal on this it'd better keep me occupied. Oh well.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 03:23 AM   #89
Greedo

well it only took about 30 tries about the ****ing kayran is dead. RIP.

redeemed the witcher is better than oblivion.
Greedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 05:57 AM   #90
Muppet

I only just started playing this. I never played the original though. I must say so far, it is a great game. The combat is easy enough to master (with the exception of 5 or more enemies at the start) it's hard to try and block them from all directions. Love the spells and potions. they make a huge difference in combats situations. Also the performance is great with everything maxed except Ubersampling. I can still play with it enabled, but frame rates drop into the high 20's. Without it, I average in the 50-70 frames. Game is very nice looking, only Surround doesn't work yet. There is a work around for the Steam version, but not the retail. Looks like I bought the wrong one. So all in all, very satisfied so far.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 06:20 AM   #91
K007

the training comments...at the start move a bit too fast lol...i dont get time to read it.

the combat..does it still use the similar click timing as in witcher 1?
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 11:34 AM   #92
StoNer
Ubėr Baked

I'm not entirely sure yet if the combos are set in stone. I usually just do like a one two type deal. Left click Left click and then follow through with a Right click.

Also stunning enemies and getting that quick assassination kill is pretty easy.

All of your Oblivion fans, If you haven't beat the English version of the Nehrim total conversion mod for Oblivion - TRY IT OUT! It was crazy, a totally unique story and world. The Dwarves are from friggin' space!

Here's the German Trailer. The translated version of the game still has German voices, but the text/subtitles etc are all in English. Gotta love it!

[Display Dell S2309W 23", Samsung 933HD+ 18.5" on NeoFlex LCD Arms]

[Now Playing Star Wars The Old Republic, Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Super Street Fighter IV AE, DayZ]
StoNer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-11, 12:05 PM   #93
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Hmm...

I've not played the first witcher, let alone this one. If I absolutely loved Oblivion, what are the odds of me liking these games?
Oblivion is storyless, boring world, G rated game. If you actually like story, like to have a reason to do quest, and feel that G rated games are not for you, then you will like the Witcher.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 12:11 PM   #94
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedo View Post

redeemed the witcher is better than oblivion.
yap, there is no comparison
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 12:20 PM   #95
Sean_W

As said, the combat is quiet hard and like Gothic 4 but much harder and doesn't feel pre-set. I'm having trouble doing the mission at the start, where you to take the guys out firing the fire arrows at you, lol.

Guess I'm not used to the fighting yet.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 12:24 PM   #96
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Oblivion is storyless, boring world, G rated game. If you actually like story, like to have a reason to do quest, and feel that G rated games are not for you, then you will like the Witcher.
Oblivion and Witcher are at two different ends of the western RPG spectrum. Yeah, Oblivion doesn't have much story, but it's free-form and heavily modable world where you can do pretty much what you want with a character of your own creation (which is why I've got over three hundred hours in that game).

Witcher and Witcher 2 are a lot more story focused, centered on one character with a defined skill set; it's world is more restricted and you're not modding it. That doesn't mean it isn't a lot of fun (especially since the story is kicking ass so far), but it's not going to appeal to a player that only likes Oblivion style RPGs. Personally, I like both styles (but I can't stand Japanese RPGs).
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote