Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-24-11, 12:54 PM   #1
Belegdol

Default Tearing on DVI output

Hi,
I am getting a lot of tearing when watching movies on my external monitor. THis is on a Clevo P150HM laptop equipped with 485M card, running Fedora 15 x86_64 and 270.41.06 driver. I am getting a lot of tearing with gnome-mplayer and vdpau, and a little less with totem and gstreamer.
Both screens, internal and DVI are running at 1920x1080@60, so I am not sure where the tearing is coming from. I am running gnome shell.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (63.1 KB, 73 views)
Belegdol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 04:51 PM   #2
one_and_only

Default Re: Tearing on DVI output

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ausupport.html and look for the VDPAU_NVIDIA_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE
one_and_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 04:04 PM   #3
Belegdol

I tried
Quote:
$ export VDPAU_NVIDIA_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE=DFP-2
but it did not help much. Besides, both screens run at the same resolution and refresh rate, so I think the problem must lie elsewhere.
ETA: actually nvidia-settings says 59.93 Hz for LVDS and 60.00 Hz for DVI, so that might explain it.
Old 05-26-11, 04:43 PM   #4
one_and_only

Your DVI monitor is DFP-2? It's how you see it in nvidia-setting? Because mine is DFP-1 (DFP-0 is the notebook's display)
one_and_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 04:53 PM   #5
Belegdol

Yes, it is DFP-2. I guess DFP-1 must be the HDMI output.
Anyway, I had a closer look and the videos tear with vdpau on DFP-0 too - I guess the screen is smaller so it is less visible. For mplayer, -vo xv and -vo gl look much better, but still not perfect (due to gnome shell, I suppose).
Now I have a much better test case, a 1080p24 "tearing test" from youtube. You can get it via flashgot.

ETA: I checked with KDE. While in windowed mplayer vdpau, xv and gl tear like crazy, fullscreen works perfectly for all 3 on all drivers. Screen-wise, for xv I need to change the synced screen in nvidia-settings, gl tears on DVI and vdpau works on both without touching anything.
Old 05-27-11, 01:08 PM   #6
Belegdol

I did some more testing with Gnome 3 fallback mode:
- vo vdpau does not tear on both screens without the need for any environmental variables
- vo xv needs a switch in nvidia-settings
- vo gl needs __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE=DFP-2 not to tear on the DVI output.
Moreover, in the fallback mode there is no tearing in windowed mode either (as opposed to KDE).
Summing up, it seems that the compositing WMs are interfering with the driver's ability to sync to vblank properly. KDE in windowed mode only, gnome-shell all the time. Is that a bug in the driver, WM, or architecture limitation? I thought the fence syncing in xserver 1.10 were supposed to end this problem once and for all.
Old 05-31-11, 04:35 PM   #7
Belegdol

Default 485M does not sync to vblank on laptop screen properly (w/ gnome-shell)?

I opened a bug against gnome in the meantime. I was able to get rid of tearing on the secondary screen altogether with
$ __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE=DFP-2 gnome-shell --replace --display=:0
The only issue remaining is the "static tear line" on the laptop screen when it was selected as device driver should sync to. Basically, windowed mplayer looks OK but in full screen there is a static (as in not moving) tear line close to the top of the screen (with xv) plus some small artifacts appearing in the bottom part (vdpau and gl). Can it be caused by the fact that, according to nvidia-settings, external screen is 60.00 Hz while the internal one is 59.93 Hz? Could someone from nvidia please comment on this?
Old 06-11-11, 08:07 AM   #8
Belegdol

This is still an issue with 270.41.19 drivers.

Old 06-12-11, 10:21 AM   #9
darklegion

For me I get tearing in a number of applications:

-Games run with Wine, either forced through nvidia-settings, or through environment variables. This is with fullscreen mode, windowed mode, or virtual desktop mode.

-Flash video (Tried 10.2, 10.3, and the 11 beta)

I don't get tearing with:

-Quake Live

-Mplayer (with -vo gl/vdpau/xv)

This is just on a single HDMI output (DFP-0). Have tried forcing vsync on that specific output and as expected, it doesn't help. Additionally, tried with TripleBuffer on and off, but it makes no difference.

The tearing does go away with compiz, but I don't want to use compiz.
darklegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 05:05 AM   #10
Belegdol

275.09.07 still suffers from this problem.
Old 06-20-11, 01:22 PM   #11
mocharhw

If you disable composite in your xorg.conf and setup your mplayer config file to use vdpau you should never see tearing when using vdpau rendering regardless of which monitor is showing the video. If you are using xv rendering, then use the nvidia-settings program to control which monitor to sync to. If you are using some opengl application, then set the environment variable before running whatever application.
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 04:06 PM   #12
Belegdol

The topic is misleading now but I don't know how to change it. The problem has been narrowed down to gnome-shell and weird tearing on the monitor it is supposed to sync to.