Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-11, 02:54 PM   #1
proliferazor
this won't hurt a bit

Default Help interesting problem with computer!

I live about 30-40 miles from Joplin Missouri so we have been having really bad storm the last few weeks, the storm that leveled Joplin also hit us!

So during one of these storms there was a lightning strike and the power went out right after for a few seconds maybe 5-10. And then came back on. But then there was another lightning strike and the power went out again for 5-10 seconds. I was in bed at the time but the lightning strikes woke me up. They were very loud and close.

So the next morning I get out of bed and get on the pc and my computer is acting really strange, its being sluggish. It's not doing multiple things at once fast like it used to. When I open a program sometimes it hangs for awhile like a short freeze but then it rights itself. If I'm already running another app or 2 it gets worse and worse the more apps that are running. And booting up is super slow, I can't do anything while its booting up not even open IE or firefox cause those will hang for a while until the other programs have loaded.

I have a fast computer an i7 930 ( 4 cores hyper threaded), 6 gigs of ram, 64bit windows 7, 295 GTX evga

So I thought well maybe windows got messed up with the power outages and stuff. And it had been a while 3-5 months since a reformat/reinstall of my os.

Decided to just reformat and reinstall windows 7 brand new. After I did that the problem is still there!

This morning I get out of bed and my computer has blue screened, I didn't get to see what it said though.
proliferazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 01:10 AM   #2
proliferazor
this won't hurt a bit

Default Re: Help interesting problem with computer!

update:

memtest86(mem tester) passed successfully and prime95(cpu tester) has been running in blend mode for almost 2 hours with no errors.

If its not the cpu or memory could it be the harddrive? Is there a way to test harddrives?
proliferazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 01:53 AM   #3
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by proliferazor View Post
update:

memtest86(mem tester) passed successfully and prime95(cpu tester) has been running in blend mode for almost 2 hours with no errors.

If its not the cpu or memory could it be the harddrive? Is there a way to test harddrives?
How long are you letting Memtest run? I do a minimal of 8 passes, or however many is closest to about 8 hours (typically just run it over night while I sleep). If it passes all of those, then the RAM is perfectly fine.

Same with Prime95, usually do the SFF tests so it's stressing all cores/threads and let that run typically over night as well. If it'll run that long pegged at 100% across all threads and not error out/freeze/restart, your CPU is solid.

For the HDD, hmm... been a while since I've had to run diags on an HDD but you may try
SeaTools
and HD Tune. I'd make sure to run both just to cover all the bases, over night each of course.

If all that passes, you might check the hardware readings section of your BIOS and see what your PSU is doing. If anything is too high/low your PSU may be causing the instability. If that's solid, then lastly I'd suspect the mobo.

Might seem like a lot, and a lot of time- but I'm quite certain doing it this way you'll get very accurate results and not waste time/money replacing one component just to find out it's some other component.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 04:37 AM   #4
Pennyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by proliferazor View Post
update:

Is there anything strange in the event viewer??
Are you running Western Digital Hard drives? if so you can dnl WD tools and run tests on your hard drives.
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 x2 SLI
Corsair H100i Hydro Water Cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Intel 520 480GB SATA3 SSD
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Edition
Corsair Obsidian 900D Case
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe
Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers
Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500s Mouse
ASUS VG236H 23.6" 120hz LCD with nVidia 3D Vision
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Pennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 06:32 AM   #5
grey_1

Here you go.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...imeter/1056686

I bet your PSU took a hit. Don't rely on any kind of software to check voltage output, using the multimeter isn't hard even if you've never done it before.
Old 06-02-11, 12:47 PM   #6
frenchy2k1

things to do, in order:
- reset BIOS and reconfigure it manually. A voltage spike can mess it up.
- check voltages. your PSU is the main culprit. IF it is a good quality one, it should have protected the rest of the system.