Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-11, 07:22 PM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Windows 8 User Interface Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
yea after moving back home for a bit and observing how my parents use computers its made me realize how much bs goes on in daily computing tho. A few things i have noticed:

The start menu is seriously outdated and maybe unnecessary for many common users or those who just need to launch applications or browse the web. My dad drags every internet link onto his desktop as its own icon!

Having to search 40 different places for 1 document because you accidently saved it in the wrong place or clicked save while reading an attachment in outlook is total bs. Files should be easily associable and found within the application they pertain to.

Application directories and subsystems should never be seen by the common user, only those of us who like to tamper and tweak.

Basically theres just too much crap to go wrong for the common user, even tho kids having grown up in this era will ultimately be the common user, it just irks me to see how difficult something can be to use for non pc enthusiasts, and these stripped down, what you see is what you get interfaces are really what they need. Just make sure they leave in God mode for us

It actually reminds me a lot of Omnimo for rainmeter
http://fediafedia.deviantart.com/art...eter-158707137
This. I think that companies like Apple and MS are going to start making their OS's more like a tablet experience: simple, yet powerful. And I agree. After dealing with business users all day long on a mix of WinXP, WinVista, Win7 and OS X, all they "need" is Internet Access, Documents and Email. Why wouldn't you make your OS to focus on those important tasks? Luckily Win7 and OS X have very powerful search abilities to find stuff fast. But in order for these features to be used properly, users will have to be "pushed" in the right direction and learn these new "ways". Good luck with that lol.

I just hope they don't ignore us IT power users and leave in God mode.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 07:23 PM   #14
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
would be hilarious if MS would gain mobile market and then loose majority of desktop market.
Isn't that the goal of all of these companies? Aren't mobile devices taking over desktops/laptops anyway?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 11:28 PM   #15
mullet

Looks stupid. I am so sick of hearing the word apps.
Old 06-03-11, 09:38 AM   #16
Yaboze

Not sure how that will work on the desktop in the corporate world.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 11:01 AM   #17
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
Seems nice for a tablet os, but no way im going to lean forward and use my finger to do **** like that on my monitor though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Looks FANTASTIC for mobile/tablet OS. Looks terrible for desktop/PC OS.

Kinect.
Old 06-03-11, 11:21 AM   #18
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Isn't that the goal of all of these companies? Aren't mobile devices taking over desktops/laptops anyway?
nope, mobile market is growing, but not taking over.

MS biggest revenue stream is corporations, and they won't be switching employees to some stupid "metro" interface tablet.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 11:31 AM   #19
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
nope, mobile market is growing, but not taking over.

MS biggest revenue stream is corporations, and they won't be switching employees to some stupid "gay" interface tablet.
fizt
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 12:01 PM   #20
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

called it "metro" because its the same stupid interface from windows phone 7, and metro is the codename for it.

probably by windows 9 they will get it right.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-11, 07:24 PM   #21
bacon12

Why do people keep posting like that is gonna be the only version of windows 8 that ships? FFS do you really think MS is gonna pitch that to the corporate world?

Come on guys. The nerd rage was laughable over at [H] in this thread.

Windows 7 is damn near a perfect desktop os as it is, and I honestly don't see anything groundbreaking coming with 8.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 12:21 AM   #22
mojoman0

windows 8 is about the convergence of the mobile market into the desktop market. OS X is doing the same thing. People spend an incredible amount of time on their mobile devices these days and having the productivity and experiences of each device exist their own domains is a waste of potential. Hence the cloud. With similar apps and UI's between platforms, the desktop and mobile device can seamlessly integrate and synchronize with each other.

The whole point I believe is akin to closing a book on one device and being able to open up on the correct page on the other device, but with every app from news readers to excel, to paint and beyond.
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 06:31 AM   #23
FearMeAll

I loooooooooooove windows 7. It's going to be really hard to convince me to leave. (I even still like windows XP) This video did not convince me. But for others in my family, they'll love it's n00b style interface. It looks kinda like windows media center with Windows 7 under it. The real file managing interface looks exactly like windows 7(with less screen space..sigh) and that would be the only one I would use. The "multitasking" of full screen applications is a joke at least to me. They got the OS right finally with windows 7 so it's really hard to improve on it without breaking what people love about it.

However for HTPCs I really want to run this OS. I only use xbmc for video, music, etc..but maybe this could have a really cool game launching interface. If it doesn't, not interested. I also hope we are allowed to customize the tiles to launch the "apps". ugh... Windows media center doesn't give you any control of this stuff without going behind its back, and I've got a feeling they'll close up this interface just as much if not more.

Windows 7 + Objectdock plus FTW. I pretty much use objectdock for all my "apps". (I can't help but put that in quotations because I have never called my applications that..non mobile user here)
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 01:27 PM   #24
mojoman0

You can use Win 8 just like Win 7. The desktop and everything from what we have seen is still there. This other UI is just an additional layer that can be ignored if you dont have a use for it.
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote