Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-11, 11:25 AM   #181
jolle

Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtomat74 View Post
If you play around with Ubersampling, the game will be jumpy/jerky. Also, Ubersampling doesn't look as good IMO anyway. It blurs the textures just like Crysis 2. Everything looks more clear w/o it which works out well. Google has many screenshots showing the difference in clarity.
I set ubersampling to 1 in the user.ini file, itīs a nice tradeoff thing there, 2x1 SSAA (or 1x2 maybe) instead of 2x2.
Performance is fine compared to the default "2" setting here, there is still some crawling in the image at times, but I feel that generally foilage looks better.

I also raised the TextureMemoryBudget setting from 100 to 900 and it may be placebo but it feels a bit smoother.
Old 06-02-11, 12:04 PM   #182
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
I set ubersampling to 1 in the user.ini file, itīs a nice tradeoff thing there, 2x1 SSAA (or 1x2 maybe) instead of 2x2.
Performance is fine compared to the default "2" setting here, there is still some crawling in the image at times, but I feel that generally foilage looks better.

I also raised the TextureMemoryBudget setting from 100 to 900 and it may be placebo but it feels a bit smoother.
Pretty sure the ubersampling set to 1 is a placebo. I see no difference in either quality or fps when using 1 vs. 0.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 03:49 PM   #183
mojoman0

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cdp-summer-days

bunch of info from CDP. 400k units sold first week. Patch 1.2 tomorrow, bunch of fixes, all DLC exclusives included for everyone, etc. Game coming to xbox 360
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 04:08 PM   #184
HiCZoK4

impressive.
PC game 400k first week. Thats great!
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 04:40 PM   #185
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
Personally I dislike the whole you must kneel to drink potions before battle thing cause it seems illogical to me. I can understand it for mutagens, and alchemy, but to drink a potion, he should be able to do that during combat, and just be watching the toxicity bar like in the first witcher game then use meditate or something else after combat to reduce toxicity. The way it is now, I can't see how anyone could finish the game on the hardest difficulty without having played through at least one time. I was very ill prepared many times and had to reload often.
This

I'm on the first real battle and am just having a horrible time with this. I know it'll likely smooth out once I'm used to the new system, but I'm not liking it much atm.
Old 06-02-11, 05:13 PM   #186
mojoman0

so do people struggle with combat throughout the entire game?
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 05:32 PM   #187
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
so do people struggle with combat throughout the entire game?
No. Once you learn it, you can usually keep from getting your ass kicked. One thing to remember is your not a tank - if you've got more two guys on you, dodge away (and you really should keep it down to one on one as much as possible).
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 07:24 PM   #188
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post
No. Once you learn it, you can usually keep from getting your ass kicked. One thing to remember is your not a tank - if you've got more two guys on you, dodge away (and you really should keep it down to one on one as much as possible).
Yep. The thing I'm noticing in this as opposed to the first is there seems to be a pause after every single move before you can do anything, like Geralt is frozen for a split second and it allows bad guys to get plenty of hits in.

I seem the remember his actions being much, much more responsive in the first one.

I do have to say though, the kneeling for potions really takes away from the game imo.

Old 06-02-11, 08:22 PM   #189
Greedo

parry [e], then attack. don't mash...
Greedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 08:38 PM   #190
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedo View Post
parry [e], then attack. don't mash...
That's what I'm doing - it's getting there. Went through this with the first game too, wound up loving it.

Right now I just want it to stop crashing to desktop.
Old 06-03-11, 12:16 AM   #191
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Yep. The thing I'm noticing in this as opposed to the first is there seems to be a pause after every single move before you can do anything, like Geralt is frozen for a split second and it allows bad guys to get plenty of hits in.

I seem the remember his actions being much, much more responsive in the first one.
It seems that way because the game is expecting you to time your mouse clicks. If you don't time them correctly (usually right after Geralt finishes a sword swing is a good time to click, doesn't seem to matter whether its a strong attack or weak attack), Geralt stumbles or otherwise doesn't attack and that leaves you open to enemy attacks. Also anything interrupting your flow, i.e. getting hit in the middle of a combo, will leave you open to an attack. Being parried initially seems like it does the same thing, but so long as you resume your attacks quickly after the parried attack Geralt resumes the combo from where it left off.

Also I've used parry a grand total of one time on this playthrough. Because its tied to vigor and the build I'm going with is kinda strong in magic(more on that later), I just roll dodge. Its usually a lot more responsive than parrying, and it doesn't root you either.

The build I'm using is going to be heliotrope sign/combat acumen with enough points in alchemy for 2/2 Impregnation. Basically it will be set up so that I build up lots of adrenaline through beefed up quen and sword attacks, and take advantage of the improved reaction time that heliotrope gives me and (periodically) one shot a whole group of enemies with group finishers. 2/2 Impregnation will be for the enhanced mutagens. Trying to farm madness mutagens(they give armor, vit, AND damage), but they are crazy rare. If I don't get enough of those I'll just through in a bunch of Greater Power Mutagens for max damage.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 05:24 AM   #192
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidric View Post
It seems that way because the game is expecting you to time your mouse clicks. If you don't time them correctly (usually right after Geralt finishes a sword swing is a good time to click, doesn't seem to matter whether its a strong attack or weak attack), Geralt stumbles or otherwise doesn't attack and that leaves you open to enemy attacks. Also anything interrupting your flow, i.e. getting hit in the middle of a combo, will leave you open to an attack. Being parried initially seems like it does the same thing, but so long as you resume your attacks quickly after the parried attack Geralt resumes the combo from where it left off.

Also I've used parry a grand total of one time on this playthrough. Because its tied to vigor and the build I'm going with is kinda strong in magic(more on that later), I just roll dodge. Its usually a lot more responsive than parrying, and it doesn't root you either.

The build I'm using is going to be heliotrope sign/combat acumen with enough points in alchemy for 2/2 Impregnation. Basically it will be set up so that I build up lots of adrenaline through beefed up quen and sword attacks, and take advantage of the improved reaction time that heliotrope gives me and (periodically) one shot a whole group of enemies with group finishers. 2/2 Impregnation will be for the enhanced mutagens. Trying to farm madness mutagens(they give armor, vit, AND damage), but they are crazy rare. If I don't get enough of those I'll just through in a bunch of Greater Power Mutagens for max damage.
LOL! You've got this game mapped out to a T. I just want to stay alive right now.

I see exactly what you mean about the timing though. I'm still at the beginning and just finished the underground passage to the fight where you open the gate for Foltest and once I started thinking more about timing and strategy than simply "dash in>hit>run>repeat" it suddenly got a whole lot easier.

I went through this learning phase with W1 too, and wound up loving the game. I still don't like the new inventory system, but I'll get used to that.

Oh, and this game is absolutely gorgeous, even on medium specs.