Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-11, 04:09 PM   #193
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Anyone else having cutscene performance issues? I can't get past the escape the guards part in the cell - getting around 10fps with an overclocked 480 and the 275.33 drivers.

All cutscenes are choppy, but this is completely unplayable. Oh, have just about everything disabled or at medium in graphics settings.

EDIT: I have been googling the problem, I'm not alone, and it's being blamed on everything from overheating cards to memory leaks. bleh.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 05:25 PM   #194
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Anyone else having cutscene performance issues? I can't get past the escape the guards part in the cell - getting around 10fps with an overclocked 480 and the 275.33 drivers.

All cutscenes are choppy, but this is completely unplayable. Oh, have just about everything disabled or at medium in graphics settings.

EDIT: I have been googling the problem, I'm not alone, and it's being blamed on everything from overheating cards to memory leaks. bleh.
Turn off Cut Scene DOF, a lot of people say that helps quite a bit.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 05:31 PM   #195
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Turn off Cut Scene DOF, a lot of people say that helps quite a bit.
It is, along with most other effects.

I didn't really explain the problem in full though. When a cut scene is choppy, the first few minutes of play after are unplayable. Have to quit and restart, which usually puts you back in the cutscene I can't even get out of the jail it's so bad.

I'm rolling back to the 260.71 drivers to see if that changes anything - I'd hate to have to wait for a patch for this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 05:37 PM   #196
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
It is, along with most other effects.

I didn't really explain the problem in full though. When a cut scene is choppy, the first few minutes of play after are unplayable. Have to quit and restart, which usually puts you back in the cutscene I can't even get out of the jail it's so bad.

I'm rolling back to the 260.71 drivers to see if that changes anything - I'd hate to have to wait for a patch for this.
Is this with the new 1.2 patch released today? Some people are reporting issues with it. I haven't played with it yet.

I had the 275.25 drivers when the game and just installed the 275.33 drivers the other day, both seem to be working fine.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 05:54 PM   #197
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Is this with the new 1.2 patch released today? Some people are reporting issues with it. I haven't played with it yet.

I had the 275.25 drivers when the game and just installed the 275.33 drivers the other day, both seem to be working fine.
I didn't notice steam dl anything new, so I'm guessing no patch. But I rolled back to the 270.61s and it's perfectly smooth on all high, uber disabled of course - so it was a driver issue on my end.

Should have tried that before I posted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 06:04 PM   #198
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

One last question.

What the **** is with the idiotic screwed to hell boxing in this game? Kill one guard and I'm forced into this interactive cutscene that flashes prompts, but no keys or mouse makes Geralt do anything??? Seriously?

between this and the having to kneel to drink a potion, what else have they killed in witcher land?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 06:12 PM   #199
jolle
Registered User
 
jolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,804
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
between this and the having to kneel to drink a potion, what else have they killed in witcher land?
Ill tell you what they HAVENT killed unfortunately, the "no looting in combat" thing from the first game..
Still have to stand around twice as long as it took to kill a stray enemy to be able to loot it..
really gets tiresome when running through areas with easy mobs..

There is a option to disable "Difficult QTEs", which removes most of them, except the boxing and stuff..
Default for input on the boxing is AWD keys for left up and right.
__________________
Q6700, Abit X38 QuadGT, 8Gb (4x 2GB) OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066MHz, Gainward GTX 285 1Gb, X-Fi XtremeMusic
jolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 06:16 PM   #200
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
One last question.

What the **** is with the idiotic screwed to hell boxing in this game? Kill one guard and I'm forced into this interactive cutscene that flashes prompts, but no keys or mouse makes Geralt do anything??? Seriously?

between this and the having to kneel to drink a potion, what else have they killed in witcher land?

Boxing is done with QTE's. If you are using the mouse/kb, hit the wasd key when the prompt comes up. It should pretty straight forward.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-11, 07:47 PM   #201
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Ill tell you what they HAVENT killed unfortunately, the "no looting in combat" thing from the first game..
Still have to stand around twice as long as it took to kill a stray enemy to be able to loot it..
really gets tiresome when running through areas with easy mobs..


There is a option to disable "Difficult QTEs", which removes most of them, except the boxing and stuff..
Default for input on the boxing is AWD keys for left up and right.
Yeah I picked up on the looting while escaping the cell - Lord that is annoying as heck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Boxing is done with QTE's. If you are using the mouse/kb, hit the wasd key when the prompt comes up. It should pretty straight forward.
Got it figured out, I have to fast double tap. The first few times before I posted I went straight for wasd, which is when I got really annoyed

Thanks for the replies though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 08:24 PM   #202
Sidric
Evil Clown Face
 
Sidric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 524
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
LOL! You've got this game mapped out to a T. I just want to stay alive right now.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these games. I've actually restarted 4 times since originally playing the game. Not just because I wasn't happy with my talent choices (although that was one of them, man I would kill for a respec mod right about now), but I wasn't satisfied with what decisions I made and what sort of character I had molded Geralt into. I kind of like to follow a certain theme when playing (i.e. compassionate, knightly as opposed to renegade, don't care attitudes) and if a certain decision seems "out of character" it bugs the crap out of me and I usually end up restarting. I would normally reload a save, but this game's save management system is garbage and takes up too much space, not too mention killing my load times when I go to the main menu.

So anyway, that's why I know quite a bit of how this game works. A side effect of starting the game over and over is that I do a lot of research into the game's mechanics, and what builds work/what builds don't work.

Also, I'd like to provide a tip for anyone having trouble making money in this game. Once you get to Chapter 2, go to the forest just outside Vergen and farm the crap of those nekkers. I made about 7k orens in under an hour using this method. More details in this link:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/975399-th...ngs/faqs/62417

The instructions on how to do it are in section 7. Credit to the original author of course.
__________________
[Mastermind]
[Case]Silverstone TJ10
[PSU] PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 11:26 AM   #203
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior
 
Stoneyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kaplan, LA
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Forgot to post this:

My Review
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 04:44 PM   #204
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidric View Post
I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these games. I've actually restarted 4 times since originally playing the game. Not just because I wasn't happy with my talent choices (although that was one of them, man I would kill for a respec mod right about now), but I wasn't satisfied with what decisions I made and what sort of character I had molded Geralt into. I kind of like to follow a certain theme when playing (i.e. compassionate, knightly as opposed to renegade, don't care attitudes) and if a certain decision seems "out of character" it bugs the crap out of me and I usually end up restarting. I would normally reload a save, but this game's save management system is garbage and takes up too much space, not too mention killing my load times when I go to the main menu.

So anyway, that's why I know quite a bit of how this game works. A side effect of starting the game over and over is that I do a lot of research into the game's mechanics, and what builds work/what builds don't work.

Also, I'd like to provide a tip for anyone having trouble making money in this game. Once you get to Chapter 2, go to the forest just outside Vergen and farm the crap of those nekkers. I made about 7k orens in under an hour using this method. More details in this link:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/975399-th...ngs/faqs/62417

The instructions on how to do it are in section 7. Credit to the original author of course.
Wow, I just read that faq and feel like I've already missed so much. I just completed the troll quest and now I feel like I need to start the game new.

Thanks for the tips though, there's so much to this game I always feel like I'm missing something.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.