Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-11, 12:00 PM   #13
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 96.43.19 and XOrg 1.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfdav View Post
Aside of promising exact date or anything, can you estimate the time frame it would take?
I mean days, weeks, months ... at least a rough estimation please. Thank you for your time!
I'm afraid not, sorry.

You have to appreciate my dilemma here: I'd love to be able to say it'll be available on MM/dd/yyyy, but unexpected and sometimes significant delays always crop up. I'm afraid you'll simply have to be patient (I know, that's not what you wanted to hear.)
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 01:49 AM   #14
foontala

Thank you for helping us AaronP Wan Kenobi.

You're our only hope!
foontala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 05:12 AM   #15
xenotrax

That's my story..
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...71#post1480171

I hope as AronP can make this work!

xenotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 11:33 AM   #16
baryluk

Hi,

It is really a shame that quite simple update of driver interfaces cannot be released for legacy drivers. I have GeForce 440 MX and Debian Testing, but as some people said, also Ubuntu 11.04 and Fedora 15 have problems. This is already problem for this major distributions for 2-3 months now. I know it isn't so simple, but should be much simpler than updating current (non-legacy) drivers. Please at least tell us if updated driver will be released in this or next month, or something. Are anybody at least works on this problem, or it is only queued to be done and not yet fixed. Even some beta drivers will be usefull here.
baryluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 11:53 AM   #17
Gusar

If those distros don't provide means to use an earlier X, that's a distro problem.

Sure, nvidia should also update their driver. But their primary Linux market is high-end workstations running the latest and greatest, not desktops/laptops running 9 year old cards.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 10:05 AM   #18
baryluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
If those distros don't provide means to use an earlier X, that's a distro problem.

Sure, nvidia should also update their driver. But their primary Linux market is high-end workstations running the latest and greatest, not desktops/laptops running 9 year old cards.
Primary market? Tell me how many people out there have high-end modern nvidia cards, and how many have a legacy nvidia cards? I understand business reasons, but it essentially means that nvidia do not care about its customers. And one day it will also stop supporting current gpus also. And if they do not want to work on legacy drivers (even simple things like updating to newer API of xorg), then please release documentation or open-source this older drivers, if you do not care.
baryluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 12:13 PM   #19
Gusar

I love how you skipped the first part of my post.
Old 06-15-11, 05:49 AM   #20
luinuz

Thanks AaronP for your support

We can wait.
luinuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-11, 06:46 AM   #21
R O B

Thumbs up Re: 96.43.19 and XOrg 1.10.1

Thanks AaronP!

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
R O B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 02:31 PM   #22
named

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryluk View Post
... if they do not want to work on legacy drivers (even simple things like updating to newer API of xorg), then please release documentation or open-source this older drivers, if you do not care.
+1

I know that updating the legacy driver is not on the top of your priority list but this situation and the apparent lack of any real development would make me think twice before buying anything from you again.
FYI, I have been a Linux user for more than 10 years now and it is exactly because of the solid support that all of the five video cards which I own have nvidia chips no them.
named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 05:48 AM   #23
Gusar

Do you guys really expect nvidia to actively support several generations behind, 8 year old hardware? Not even intel supports their 8xx line anymore, and the intel driver is open! Making future decisions based on the status such old hardware is kinda silly to me.

Also, I really love how people ignore the thing I said in post #17 above.
Old 06-25-11, 06:44 AM   #24
Huogo

Gusar : so what ? Are you so happy of having found something interesting to say that you have to underline twice how clever you are and how stupid are everyone here asking for basic support for the cards they _paid_ ? Stop congratulating yourself.
People don't care whom the fault is, what they see is that the company they purchased a card from isn't even able to catch up with new Xorg developments -- and we're already in late June, maybe for Christmas I'll be able to use Ubuntu 11.04.

Besides, yes of course I also criticizes Xorg for the changes and the distros for not providing an alternative version of the server. But how do you explain that Nvidia users are the only ones affected ? Ati and Intel drivers aren't working just by chance with Xserver 1.10 !

And if Nvidia is not able to update the legacy driver, why don't they just opensourced it ? They still are useful to a lot of users. I'm sorry but the computer I have for which I use the legacy driver still runs well even if it's 8 years old.

What is sure is that I won't buy again any Nvidia product. Sorry but by purchasing a product I also buy support for it. If Nvidia is just careless about legacy users, no problem, I'll switch to a brand that respect its customers.
Huogo is offline   Reply With Quote