Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-11, 08:25 AM   #217
ArrowMk84

Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Just curious - you folks who beat the kayran, how many times did you die before beating it?

This has to be the hardest boss I've ever fought, I must have gone down 40 times so far, playing on normal difficulty, sometimes right near the end of the fight going by it's health bar.

I sure hope the bosses don't get any harder from here. This is brutal.
It took me six or seven tries. After getting smeared three times I checked Youtube for a demo of how to beat it.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 08:49 AM   #218
Yaboze

Quote:
So far -

No quest arrows showing direction about 20% of the time. Exit game and restart they're there. - this happened 4 or 5 times so far.

Formulas disappearing from inventory. Once so far, emptied my formulas completely.

NPC no shows as you mentioned.

Monsters disappearing in the middle of a battle - several times on this one now.

Monsters turning their backs in battle and just standing there. Easy kills I guess, so far just nekkars and drowners.

All little bugs except for the kayran - it won't let me kill it.
I have had all of those issues, very often, too. However, I was able to kill the Kayran.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 09:01 AM   #219
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post
It took me six or seven tries. After getting smeared three times I checked Youtube for a demo of how to beat it.
I just saw on youtube what other sign to use too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I have had all of those issues, very often, too. However, I was able to kill the Kayran.
I'm just taking pity on it because it's dying anyway.
Old 06-06-11, 10:44 AM   #220
LurkerLito

It's funny the Kayran was an easy fight for me. It only took like 4 tries and most of them were because I missed seeing the QTE prompts. It was probably because I made a mistake and had the wrong sign selected and it happened to be the sign most effective for the battle. In hindsight the most difficult battle for me was mainly difficult because I went charging in like a tank with out any planning and you are not in anyway a tank.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 10:55 AM   #221
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
It's funny the Kayran was an easy fight for me. It only took like 4 tries and most of them were because I missed seeing the QTE prompts. It was probably because I made a mistake and had the wrong sign selected and it happened to be the sign most effective for the battle. In hindsight the most difficult battle for me was mainly difficult because I went charging in like a tank with out any planning and you are not in anyway a tank.
I've actually been taking this pretty slow, planning, trying to determine timing and all. bottom line for tbh is I'm just not very good at this type of combat

I will be by the end of the game though.
Old 06-06-11, 04:29 PM   #222
Blacklash
8^9^3

It took me six tries to beat the Kayran, primarily due to stupid mistakes on my part and ignoring the script the game wanted me to follow. On the other hand, I beat Letho on the first try.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 04:41 PM   #223
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
steam still hasn't released 1.2 yet..

i hope its not another 9gb patch
steam did the first patch wrong

instead of releasing the patch, they updated the game files on the server side, and then forced you to download all the files that changed, so about 9gb.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 06:36 PM   #224
Yaboze

Quote:
Just curious - you folks who beat the kayran, how many times did you die before beating it?

This has to be the hardest boss I've ever fought, I must have gone down 40 times so far, playing on normal difficulty, sometimes right near the end of the fight going by it's health bar.

For me, it was about 5-6x, but my friend killed it before me and gave me the general strategy.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-11, 07:34 PM   #225
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Quote:

first playthrough, approx 6 tries. I had built the kayran trap and was unsure how to use it correctly so I got splatted several times while trying to figure that out. Then I needed to figure out the correct timing for dodging the tentacles. Once I figured that out though, the rest was a piece of cake.

second playthrough, once. didn't bother with the trap, and just yrden trapped the tentacles. never had trouble with the QTE's, but then I'm not playing on hard either.
it really is pretty easy once you know the strat. and that goes for pretty much all boss fights in this game. letho is a complete joke so long as you have enough throwing daggers (and the requisite skill). and the chapter 2 boss is even easier than both the kayran and letho. I almost teared my hair out trying to figure him out but then read up a little on a strat and the next time I fought him the fight was literally over in about 30 seconds.

haven't taken on the chapter 3 boss yet, will report back on that later.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 03:15 AM   #226
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
steam did the first patch wrong

instead of releasing the patch, they updated the game files on the server side, and then forced you to download all the files that changed, so about 9gb.
Yep.

Old 06-07-11, 06:16 AM   #227
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

lol another 9gb download, and I was going to get it on Steam.
Old 06-07-11, 09:45 AM   #228
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidric View Post
first playthrough, approx 6 tries. I had built the kayran trap and was unsure how to use it correctly so I got splatted several times while trying to figure that out. Then I needed to figure out the correct timing for dodging the tentacles. Once I figured that out though, the rest was a piece of cake.

second playthrough, once. didn't bother with the trap, and just yrden trapped the tentacles. never had trouble with the QTE's, but then I'm not playing on hard either.
it really is pretty easy once you know the strat. and that goes for pretty much all boss fights in this game. letho is a complete joke so long as you have enough throwing daggers (and the requisite skill). and the chapter 2 boss is even easier than both the kayran and letho. I almost teared my hair out trying to figure him out but then read up a little on a strat and the next time I fought him the fight was literally over in about 30 seconds.

haven't taken on the chapter 3 boss yet, will report back on that later.
I figured out why I had such a hard time with the kayran. For some reason

SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN"T PLAYED IT YET

with difficult QTEs enabled, the prompt to let go of the tentacle wasn't showing up, so I just kept mashing mouse buttons and 'enter' trying to get him to let go. Once I disabled that I could see it clearly. Hit 'space' and I was home free.

END SPOILER

I know what you mean about the others, I try to get through without looking online for tips, but I'm not good at this type of game anyway so I usually need some help.