Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-18-11, 07:38 AM   #241
GitDat

Default Re: Official Duke Nukem Forever Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
Just download eduke port and put Your Duke file in there. Its one of best ports to the old games! It supports widescreen and all resolutions!
ALL resolutions? Even 5760 x 1080 on 3 screens?
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 6,330 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 09:38 AM   #242
|MaguS|

Default Re: Duke Nukeum Forever has gone Gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
consoles only have so much ram, they need to keep stopping the action with a cutscene while it loads the next area.
No because that style of level design doesn't work with good story telling. I personally like the more story focus the games have taken. If I want open level design I will play an open world game.

A good developer knows how to work around the memory limitations. Take the God of War series or Uncharted almost no loading throughout the entire game except for the initial load.
Old 06-18-11, 12:03 PM   #243
Quick420

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitDat View Post
ALL resolutions? Even 5760 x 1080 on 3 screens?
No.Up to 2048 resolution. Thats still pretty sweet stuff for old build games
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851

If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 12:08 PM   #244
GitDat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick420 View Post
No.Up to 2048 resolution. Thats still pretty sweet stuff for old build games
Wow, this eDuke32 works way better than xDuke. Only thing I can't get to work is Vsync. It locks hard when I enable it. Now if I can just get multiplayer figured out with stupid port forwarding on Yang
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 6,330 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
Old 06-18-11, 01:27 PM   #245
GitDat

Got it figured out I think. Who wants to play some old school Duke3D on eDuke32/YANG? Join up! lol
Old 06-18-11, 03:50 PM   #246
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

This game is ****ing epic just because it's duke... you really can't say it sucks for any specific reason because honestly it's true to the heart of what duke is. It's exactly what I've wanted after years and years of waiting for a damn sequel. I really don't think you SHOULD have expect anything else.

That's the only reason people are giving it bad reviews is because they were expecting a game of some other play-style and story, but this is exactly 100% what it should have been and what it deserves to be.

It's perfect
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 06:00 PM   #247
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
This game is ****ing epic just because it's duke... you really can't say it sucks for any specific reason because honestly it's true to the heart of what duke is. It's exactly what I've wanted after years and years of waiting for a damn sequel. I really don't think you SHOULD have expect anything else.

That's the only reason people are giving it bad reviews is because they were expecting a game of some other play-style and story, but this is exactly 100% what it should have been and what it deserves to be.

It's perfect
No its not. Its a show of poor game design. While I don't agree with the horrible reviews mainly because THEY are rating the game on todays levels I do not think it would have been a good the way it released now even 10 years ago.

Elements like Bosses only take damage from Explosives is stupid, especially when your rocket launcher holds 5 rounds and you need to run to the crate to refill constantly. The use of two weapon style is horrible. I can understand if they did it with different gun classes but its not even that. No FPS should have platforming in it, it was proven to be a bad idea back then and it still is.

God I can continue to go on and on about so many bad decisions made in the games design. I am just glad that 3DRealms is gone. This game is proof that they did not evolve with the industry and should have faded into the dark long ago.

I don't blame gearbox, they didn't have the IP long enough to actually fix the game. They completed what was on the books and shipped it. I just hope they can revive the IP in the future with a better game developed by them.
Old 06-18-11, 07:29 PM   #248
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
No its not. Its a show of poor game design. While I don't agree with the horrible reviews mainly because THEY are rating the game on todays levels I do not think it would have been a good the way it released now even 10 years ago.

Elements like Bosses only take damage from Explosives is stupid, especially when your rocket launcher holds 5 rounds and you need to run to the crate to refill constantly. The use of two weapon style is horrible. I can understand if they did it with different gun classes but its not even that. No FPS should have platforming in it, it was proven to be a bad idea back then and it still is.

God I can continue to go on and on about so many bad decisions made in the games design. I am just glad that 3DRealms is gone. This game is proof that they did not evolve with the industry and should have faded into the dark long ago.

I don't blame gearbox, they didn't have the IP long enough to actually fix the game. They completed what was on the books and shipped it. I just hope they can revive the IP in the future with a better game developed by them.
A few things I've noticed about this game.

People's defense of the game can be summed up in a few options:

1. Everyone says "it's Duke Nukem" - its not to be taken seriously, it's not about graphics, etc

2. No one blames Gearbox due to the limited time they had to work with it.

3. Its a 10 year old game - level design, gameplay, etc don't reflect that of games started today.

Thats all fine and each are feasible reasonings to accept... however...my one question would be - who is the guy that signed off and released this game to the public? At the least he should lose his job for giving it the green light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-11, 06:14 AM   #249
K007

3/10 on gamespot....

i think if this game didn't have the "Duke" title...it would have been sold as a indie game for 4.99
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 08:40 AM   #250
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post

It's perfect
Except that's completely wrong. The reason people are giving it bad scores is because it's a horrible game. Unlike people who are defending this game, the rest of us can find plenty of specific reasons for this, we don't have to use the lame fallback of "it's duke" to support our views.

And it is certainly not true to the heart of what Duke is about, unless you never even played a Duke game before or only remember the one liners. Half of the things he does or says, Duke would never say or do. The level design is linear, bland and uninspired compared to Duke 3D, and to top it all off there are numerous gameplay mechanics that seem to try and bridge the gap between the old school feel of Duke and the feel of newer games, which only makes it a mashed up version of both.

Claiming it's perfect just goes to show that people are so enamored with the IP that they lose their perspective and common sense and good taste flies out the window. Of course, even the worse games have fans, so it's no surprise that this game will have some, especially when you consider how long people have had to wait to play the game.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 11:33 AM   #251
K007

people saying this game is amazing and 'its duke' are just as same as the apple sheeps...

this game is horrible end of story

and they want full price (80USD for AU users)...

since when did we set the bar so low for games to be priced at that level? I've seen indie games that are better than this game.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 01:54 PM   #252
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

You know what dude, why don't you quit stating your opinions as facts. You don't like the game fine. I couldn't give a flying Fck about your juvenile opinions. You wouldn't know a good game if it hit your upside the head (you probably think Brink is a good game, meh)! Another freaking know it all wannabe gamer teenager trying to become a game critic. I wish the mom's of all these kids who have flooded this forum wouldn't have told them about this place. Shame on you moms for sending your kids here.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote