Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-11, 03:46 PM   #49
Qbert
*BANNED*

Default Re: My PS3 just YLOD.

I am now officially a YLOD victim as well. Can't even get my new GT5 out (tried the turn off then leave finger on eject button, no luck).

No way I'm paying Sony $$ to fix. Will attempt the heat gun method tonight to get my disk out then sell the unit to EB as a scrap heap (they will pay $60 bucks even on YLOD).

Looks like it's time for a slim....at least these are built on 40nm tech and won't destroy the soldered parts as quickly...I hope.

F Sony and lead free soldered crap made in China since the PS3 is considered a 'childrens toy'.
Qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 03:48 PM   #50
Albo

Sorry to hear that Qbert, how you get that squared that away quickly.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 04:14 PM   #51
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert View Post
F Sony and lead free soldered crap made in China since the PS3 is considered a 'childrens toy'.
Eh I think the PS3 is a quality built product. Yeah I had mine fail on me but I was more then happy to pay Sony because I had a backwards compatible device. I payed $130 to get it repaired even though they offered me a slim for $99.
Old 06-20-11, 04:19 PM   #52
Hogrider

How is the warranty on the PS3? I just got my 360 repiared for free and it is 1 month shy of having owned it for 3 years. Should be getting it back this Thursday.
Old 06-20-11, 04:31 PM   #53
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
How is the warranty on the PS3? I just got my 360 repiared for free and it is 1 month shy of having owned it for 3 years. Should be getting it back this Thursday.
1 year warranty... I had my PS3 since launch so I would have been way over 3yr warranty. The X360 only has 3yr AFTER years of RROD issues and design flaws discovered.
Old 06-20-11, 04:39 PM   #54
Qbert
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Sorry to hear that Qbert, how you get that squared that away quickly.
Yeah, I need to before the withdrawal shakes get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Eh I think the PS3 is a quality built product. Yeah I had mine fail on me but I was more then happy to pay Sony because I had a backwards compatible device. I payed $130 to get it repaired even though they offered me a slim for $99.
Yeah, it's a good product, just frustrating the way Sony deals with it's customer base. Not that Sony is any worse than any other major international company. As to your repair, I hope it lasts...heard many stories of those units getting a 2nd YLOD months...maybe a year down the road. The heat will eventually corrupt the solder points on the board again so keep it as cool as possible. The ones that get re-flowed by a technician tend to last longer, not sure what Sony does. Unfortunately, doing a reflow on the solder points invalidates the warranty....Sony just replaces your unit with another unit most of the time = all save games lost.
Old 06-20-11, 04:51 PM   #55
|MaguS|

See I didn't get YLOD. My system just stopped reading discs. I don't put too many hours into the console in a single sitting due to the lack of time.
Old 06-21-11, 10:35 AM   #56
Qbert
*BANNED*

Update:

Well, I tried the 'hot box' method on my PS3 brick last night and it worked! Basically, wrapped the PS3 in a large towel then took my wife's hair dryer, put it on the back of the PS3 for 10 mins (by the HDMI input where the heatsinks are) and then cooled it down with a fan for another 15. Plugged it back in, connected the HDMI and presto!....my GT5 disk ejected and the YLOD was gone. Was able to get on and backup all my saves, etc (thank god) and transfer to my new slim.

This is only a temporary fix from what I have read...the solder softened enough to restore the contact points on the board, but it will degrade again in time (anywhere from a couple of days to several months down the line). So now I have a backwards compatible PS3 to use as backup/for PS2 games at need.

If anyone has the YLOD and wants to try this partial fix...just search for 'PS3 YLOD hair dryer' on the tubes and you will find several examples of how to fry your brick back to life. Just know that applying hot air to any electronic device is generally not a good idea, only do in case of emergency or withdrawal.

Cheers for now.

Old 06-21-11, 10:40 AM   #57
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert View Post
Update:

Well, I tried the 'hot box' method on my PS3 brick last night and it worked! Basically, wrapped the PS3 in a large towel then took my wife's hair dryer, put it on the back of the PS3 for 10 mins (by the HDMI input where the heatsinks are) and then cooled it down with a fan for another 15. Plugged it back in, connected the HDMI and presto!....my GT5 disk ejected and the YLOD was gone. Was able to get on and backup all my saves, etc (thank god) and transfer to my new slim.

This is only a temporary fix from what I have read...the solder softened enough to restore the contact points on the board, but it will degrade again in time (anywhere from a couple of days to several months down the line). So now I have a backwards compatible PS3 to use as backup/for PS2 games at need.

If anyone has the YLOD and wants to try this partial fix...just search for 'PS3 YLOD hair dryer' on the tubes and you will find several examples of how to fry your brick back to life. Just know that applying hot air to any electronic device is generally not a good idea, only do in case of emergency or withdrawal.

Cheers for now.
Thats kind of risky though isn't it? Seems like there would be a danger of popping capacitors and what not...
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 10:56 AM   #58
Qbert
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Thats kind of risky though isn't it? Seems like there would be a danger of popping capacitors and what not...
Yeah, I agree it's risky but it worked. When the only options are paying Sony over $150 US to fix (and waiting 4-6 weeks for a refurbed unit) or ending up with a nice & shiny paper weight, I decided to take the risk (after much reading up on others results). This method should only be used as a last option as it is not a permanent solution, it is only a temp fix to get your disk out/crap backed up.
Old 06-21-11, 11:15 AM   #59
|MaguS|

It's not a 4-6 week wait. I got mine back in less then 2 weeks time. They also provide a 90 day warranty.