Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-09-03, 08:54 AM   #1
Wakabounia

Unhappy don't understand how to install nvidia drivers

I've just installed linux (Redhat 9.0) on my computer and I want to install my nvidia GF2 with the newest drivers, but I never used linux before and I am a little bit lost.

Can someone say me wich files I must download and how Ican install those ones ?

And how shall I know if I must download IA32, IA64 or AMD64 drivers ?

Thanks for helping a neophyte.
Wakabounia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-03, 09:58 AM   #2
SnapIT

If you don't know which driver to use you probably want the ia32 driver... :-)

Installing it is pretty simple (yeah, i know, everything is simple when you know how), download the file, open a terminal (if you are using KDE it is called Konsole) window, cd /[place where you downloaded it to] sh [filename], after that you need to edit the /etc/XF86Config file, basically, you replace [nv] with [nvidia], reboot and you are done...

If you have problem with any of that, reply to this thread...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-03, 07:38 AM   #3
Wakabounia

Ok I installed the file (it didn't say me anything when I ran it neither show an error message so I think it's right).

But when I opened the X86 config file (wich is in /etc/x11) I've seen that it was in read-only and untouchable cause don't have right to touch its protections.

Any idea ?
Old 12-10-03, 07:54 AM   #4
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Wakabounia
Ok I installed the file (it didn't say me anything when I ran it neither show an error message so I think it's right).

But when I opened the X86 config file (wich is in /etc/x11) I've seen that it was in read-only and untouchable cause don't have right to touch its protections.

Any idea ?
Yeah, i am stupid...

You should be logged in as root when you install the driver and when you edit the file... if you can read this, log in as root and do not reboot before you are SURE that your XF86Config file is saved with the [nvidia] driver in place, there are other things, but i don't want to complicate the process, it is all in the README file...

Sad thing is, you may not be able to boot up X now and read the response, my stupidity surprises me at times...
Old 12-10-03, 10:49 AM   #5
Wakabounia

Talking still a little problem

I managed to reboot this hell machine but when I ran the nvidia....pkg2.run it says that I must be out off X window but I don't how I can do, so can you help me ?

I think that tomorrow I'd buy a linux guide book
Old 12-10-03, 11:14 AM   #6
SnapIT

Default Re: still a little problem

Quote:
I managed to reboot this hell machine but when I ran the nvidia....pkg2.run it says that I must be out off X window but I don't how I can do, so can you help me ?

Well, first of all, linux has several init modes, init 1-6, the init basically tells the OS what it should start at boot... (yeah, rip me if you have to, i said basically because he does not need to know about 6 being shutdown at this point)...

What you need to do is boot to your standard bash shell, there are several ways to do this, one of them is to press ctrl-alt-f6, then alt-f1(to get back to your original login), press ctrl - c to cancel the X processes, press ctrl - d to log out and then log in as root...

From there, run sh 4496whatever.run and then edit your XF86Config...

Now, remember how you did this, because soon someone else will need to do it, and then you can tell them how... :-)
Old 12-10-03, 11:32 AM   #7
Papol

Default Re: still a little problem

Quote:

There's a couple of ways, (or a million ) -- It sounds like your default mode is set to boot you to runlevel 5, which is an X login. You can try to change this by rebooting, and when at the lilo, or whatever boot manager prompt you've got, go into text mode (not sure what it is for all boot managers, but try <ctrl><x>) and hit tab, enter the first name on the list which should be the default boot kernel choice (linux maybe) and 1. (e.g. lilo/grub boot prompt> linux 1).

If that works, you'll get a nongraphic screen, be logged in as root, etc and be able to cd to your *NNN*.run nvidia file and ./*.run it.

I don't boot into X in case there's a problem and edited /etc/inittab, changing the line "id:5:initdefault" (or whatever it says) to "id:3:initdefault:". This'll require you to login at level 3, which is all services up except X and when you are done doing whatever you wanted to do in console mode, then do a 'startx' command to start your X/Destop etc.

This stuff might work if your RH9 default kernel happens to match a precompiled version that's in there, and if not, you may be left with a system that won't start x, so it really helps if you know which files are affected and back them up in case everything is hosed. I suspect there's no linux book, not that you shouldn't get one, that'll tell you a thing about nvidia drivers and their idiosyncrasies.

Someone else that knows more than I can tell you if you get at least one shot at this for "free" if you're going from the stock xfree "nv" driver to the "nvidia" driver. I've been using nvidia drivers for so long that I don't recall the answer to that one, but I do know that once they're installed and you change a) kernels or b) nvidia driver, that you can easily overwrite something working with something that isn't right for your system.

The thing is, the nvidia drivers are so much better than <4.4 xfree drivers (haven't seen 4.4 yet) that you may as well try it, and ask questions here if you can still get on a browser on some other system. G/L

ps: It's probably just me, but I find this process much easier if you've gotten into keeping up with development kernels, building your own each time you can, and then you can have up to date source and just do a make after unpacking the (--extract-only) the nvidia *.run file. I'm running 2.6.0-test11-bk8 with the latest nvidia beta and it runs as well as the last one (4496), and is easy enough to install. Keeping up with development kernels (as long as you are careful about it and keep known good kernels as boot mgr choices) will probably teach you quite a lot about linux as well.
Papol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-03, 11:43 AM   #8
SnapIT

Default Re: Re: still a little problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Papol
There's a couple of ways, (or a million ) -- It sounds like your default mode is set to boot you to runlevel 5, which is an X login. You can try to change this by rebooting, and when at the lilo, or whatever boot manager prompt you've got, go into text mode (not sure what it is for all boot managers, but try <ctrl><x>) and hit tab, enter the first name on the list which should be the default boot kernel choice (linux maybe) and 1. (e.g. lilo/grub boot prompt> linux 1).

If that works, you'll get a nongraphic screen, be logged in as root, etc and be able to cd to your *NNN*.run nvidia file and ./*.run it.

I don't boot into X in case there's a problem and edited /etc/inittab, changing the line "id:5:initdefault" (or whatever it says) to "id:3:initdefault:". This'll require you to login at level 3, which is all services up except X and when you are done doing whatever you wanted to do in console mode, then do a 'startx' command to start your X/Destop etc.

This stuff might work if your RH9 default kernel happens to match a precompiled version that's in there, and if not, you may be left with a system that won't start x, so it really helps if you know which files are affected and back them up in case everything is hosed. I suspect there's no linux book, not that you shouldn't get one, that'll tell you a thing about nvidia drivers and their idiosyncrasies.

Someone else that knows more than I can tell you if you get at least one shot at this for "free" if you're going from the stock xfree "nv" driver to the "nvidia" driver. I've been using nvidia drivers for so long that I don't recall the answer to that one, but I do know that once they're installed and you change a) kernels or b) nvidia driver, that you can easily overwrite something working with something that isn't right for your system.

The thing is, the nvidia drivers are so much better than <4.4 xfree drivers (haven't seen 4.4 yet) that you may as well try it, and ask questions here if you can still get on a browser on some other system. G/L

ps: It's probably just me, but I find this process much easier if you've gotten into keeping up with development kernels, building your own each time you can, and then you can have up to date source and just do a make after unpacking the (--extract-only) the nvidia *.run file. I'm running 2.6.0-test11-bk8 with the latest nvidia beta and it runs as well as the last one (4496), and is easy enough to install. Keeping up with development kernels (as long as you are careful about it and keep known good kernels as boot mgr choices) will probably teach you quite a lot about linux as well.
Man, you explained that so much better than i could have... :-)

Old 12-10-03, 11:49 AM   #9
Papol

Lol, I don't think so, but thanks ..

I looked back at what I wrote and thought "Huh?" so I think its only because I knew what I meant that I wrote it. I should include a list of files for him to back up and a way to restore them after this method fails he he..
Old 12-10-03, 11:52 AM   #10
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Papol
Lol, I don't think so, but thanks ..

I looked back at what I wrote and thought "Huh?" so I think its only because I knew what I meant that I wrote it. I should include a list of files for him to back up and a way to restore them after this method fails he he..
Nah, i think you explained it perfectly, i don't see anything going wrong if he follows your procedure... :-)
Old 12-10-03, 01:51 PM   #11
Wakabounia

Thumbs up Now it works

It has been hard but I did it with your help.

I really want to thank you all and I'll play now one or two games of Tux Racer and have fun.

Thanks all and hope that I can help you too another time.
Old 12-10-03, 02:39 PM   #12
Papol

Cool

Grats, and enjoy.