Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-22-11, 01:09 PM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Tablets

I'm sure some of you sport tablets now a days, so I was just wondering about your opinion on them. What kind do you have? Have you found a good balance of use between your tab and laptop? Is the tablet worth it to have along side of a laptop?

I've been looking them for a few weeks now and I have my mind made up. Just wondering if I would use it a ton.

Let's hear what you gotta say.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 01:10 PM   #2
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Tablets

depends on how much you want to spend.

I find the nook color incredibly versatile.

PZ
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 01:24 PM   #3
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I'm sure some of you sport tablets now a days, so I was just wondering about your opinion on them. What kind do you have? Have you found a good balance of use between your tab and laptop? Is the tablet worth it to have along side of a laptop?

I've been looking them for a few weeks now and I have my mind made up. Just wondering if I would use it a ton.

Let's hear what you gotta say.
i have a nook color.

no balance yet as I'm still in the 'wow' phase of having a tablet. i will admit that at home, i reach for my tablet for facebook or twitter or email or web access. especially when wife and I are looking something up. also, when it played a video of my daughter on facebook, right there on the tablet (flash) i was sold.

i have it rooted with cm7 on it.
Old 06-22-11, 01:45 PM   #4
DiscipleDOC

I have an Asus EEE Transformer TF101. I'm loving it.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 01:46 PM   #5
DiscipleDOC

Six, I moved this thread to the proper forum.
Old 06-22-11, 06:55 PM   #6
six_storm

I'm seriously considering getting an iPad 2 in the next few months. The Android line up looks good (2 or 3 of them honestly) but I'm just over Android right now, mainly due to the lack of games and cool apps.

I just have one question: Will I use it enough to spent $500 on a tablet? I use my MBP at home a lot and I enjoy using it, but what about when I wanna read an ebook? Or when I just want to check something online real fast? Or have something a little more portable than my laptop?

Doc and zoomy, have you guys incorporated your tablets into your work?

Anyone with an iPad, what do you guys think?
Old 06-22-11, 09:21 PM   #7
RaidenWoW
ಠ_ಠ

imho tablet gaming is stupid unless you count the emulators. I love to play all my favorite psx games from the era they're 3d and would be considered great tablet games if they were branded as such

I'd go with vizio tablet for its IR beamer, or the samsung galaxy 10 for its slim design
Old 06-23-11, 07:24 AM   #8
zoomy942

Or a nook color for the savings

Sent from my Nook Color using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-11, 07:40 AM   #9
Hogrider

My wife loves her ipad2 and uses it every day. It seems so much more polished and finished than Android to me and if I had to choose between an Android tablet and an ipad, the ipad would win easily.
Old 06-23-11, 08:22 AM   #10
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
I'm seriously considering getting an iPad 2 in the next few months. The Android line up looks good (2 or 3 of them honestly) but I'm just over Android right now, mainly due to the lack of games and cool apps.

I just have one question: Will I use it enough to spent $500 on a tablet? I use my MBP at home a lot and I enjoy using it, but what about when I wanna read an ebook? Or when I just want to check something online real fast? Or have something a little more portable than my laptop?

Doc and zoomy, have you guys incorporated your tablets into your work?

Anyone with an iPad, what do you guys think?
I can use mine to remote into my servers and look around that way. I use mine for emails when I'm a way from the office, and that's pretty much all I need it for. I can also use "docs to go" (an app) to read my office 2010 documents.
Old 06-23-11, 08:48 AM   #11
six_storm

Thanks for the responses guys.

After much debate in my mind and some good thorough research, I keep going back to the iPad. Android tablets are alright but I think I would be disappointed. There would be lots of hours testing ROMs and kernels just to get it to where I want it to be, whereas the iPad is smooth right out of the box.

I see that Apple's official refurb store has 1st gen iPads for $350, so I think I may bite. iPad 2 refurbs (whenever they show up) will probably only be $50 cheaper. Not worth it to me.
Old 06-23-11, 08:53 AM   #12
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

After much debate in my mind and some good thorough research, I keep going back to the iPad. Android tablets are alright but I think I would be disappointed. There would be lots of hours testing ROMs and kernels just to get it to where I want it to be, whereas the iPad is smooth right out of the box.

I see that Apple's official refurb store has 1st gen iPads for $350, so I think I may bite. iPad 2 refurbs (whenever they show up) will probably only be $50 cheaper. Not worth it to me.
Food for thought: For the same price you can pay for an 32GB iPad2, you can get an Asus EEE Transformer TF101 tablet and a keyboard.

Before you make a purchase for an iPad, do some research on the reviews for the Transformer TF101.