Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-11, 08:58 AM   #13
Airbrushkid

Default Re: Tablets

I got the iPad 2 32 gig black couples months ago. And love it. As for a keyboard. Why if you need to get one then you should just get a laptop instead of a tablet.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 09:42 AM   #14
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Food for thought: For the same price you can pay for an 32GB iPad2, you can get an Asus EEE Transformer TF101 tablet and a keyboard.

Before you make a purchase for an iPad, do some research on the reviews for the Transformer TF101.
But again, it's Android. Tinkering and lack of games/apps are the dealbreaker. I'd rather spend that money on something I know that has games/app and is smooth right out of the box, no tinkering required.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 09:48 AM   #15
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
But again, it's Android. Tinkering and lack of games/apps are the dealbreaker. I'd rather spend that money on something I know that has games/app and is smooth right out of the box, no tinkering required.
Tinkering? Lack of games? The android market has hundreds and thousands of games. As for the tinkering? I love customizing my tablet to the way that I want.

As for the keyboard: It's an accessory that I love to have. I love the fact that I can transform my tablet into a full blown laptop at any time. This tablet/keyboard was the best investment I've made in a long time.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 09:52 AM   #16
six_storm

Quote:
Tinkering? Lack of games? The android market has hundreds and thousands of games. As for the tinkering? I love customizing my tablet to the way that I want.

As for the keyboard: It's an accessory that I love to have. I love the fact that I can transform my tablet into a full blown laptop at any time. This tablet/keyboard was the best investment I've made in a long time.
Yes lack of games. Android doesn't hold a candle to the amount and quality of games on Apple's app store. Where is Infinity Blade for Android? NBA Jam?

As one IT pro to another, I've got burned out on wasting tons of my time to get the butter smooth, stable experience I want with my gadgets. I just want something that works right out of the box.

And before anybody brings it up, I have no wish for Flash on my tablet. It's simply a waste. Just my opinion.
Old 06-23-11, 09:54 AM   #17
Hogrider

Quote:
I see that Apple's official refurb store has 1st gen iPads for $350, so I think I may bite. iPad 2 refurbs (whenever they show up) will probably only be $50 cheaper. Not worth it to me.
Why would an ipad2 be $50 cheaper?

Also if you really want an external keyboard go with the Zagg Mate. My wife has it and it is slick as hell. It is $99 though.

Old 06-23-11, 09:58 AM   #18
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Yes lack of games. Android doesn't hold a candle to the amount and quality of games on Apple's app store. Where is Infinity Blade for Android? NBA Jam?
I never said that Apple don't have games. In fact, that's one of the things that I loved about my iPhone was the amount of games that they had.

With that said, The Android market is still young, but there are still some good games for it as well: Spiderman HD, Samarai HD, etc.

Quote:
As one IT pro to another, I've got burned out on wasting tons of my time to get the butter smooth, stable experience I want with my gadgets. I just want something that works right out of the box.
I completely understand where you're coming from..but my philosophy is that if it's my tech, I want it to look like I want it to look.

Quote:
And before anybody brings it up, I have no wish for Flash on my tablet. It's simply a waste. Just my opinion.
Flash was not a deal breaker with me. But I do love the fact that I can watch hulu movies with it enabled.
Old 06-23-11, 10:08 AM   #19
six_storm

Quote:
I never said that Apple don't have games. In fact, that's one of the things that I loved about my iPhone was the amount of games that they had.

With that said, The Android market is still young, but there are still some good games for it as well: Spiderman HD, Samarai HD, etc.
Spot on. Apple does have 2 years on Android.

Quote:
I completely understand where you're coming from..but my philosophy is that if it's my tech, I want it to look like I want it to look.
I agree with that too. Honestly the iOS interface is good enough for me. I never run widgets on my Droid so I don't use them. Other than that, I'm good.

Quote:
Flash was not a deal breaker with me. But I do love the fact that I can watch hulu movies with it enabled.
I haven't been on Hulu in months. Comcast On Demand sure is nice lol.
Old 06-23-11, 10:19 AM   #20
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

you could spend half of those prices and get a nook color. that asus is nice, but you have a new mbp so you wont be wanting to replace your laptop anytime soon. thus, you want a quick and dirty way to do <insert actvity here>. i think spending 500 on a tablet if it's NOT replacing a laptop is silly. get a cheap tablet so you can do the things you need and call it good.

sure my nook color isnt a fancy as DD's asus, but i paid half and outside the keyboard attachment, i can do everything he does.

and as for flash, sure you dont care but it will come up, it always does... and saying "i dont have an interest in it" is flawed. its like saying "i dont have an interest in changing the oil in my car" - neither do i but i can promise you it will come up.

with my gadgets, i refuse to make a compromise in anything. if a device isnt capable of something i run across however often, then it's silly to use it.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-11, 10:21 AM   #21
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Spot on. Apple does have 2 years on Android.

I agree with that too. Honestly the iOS interface is good enough for me. I never run widgets on my Droid so I don't use them. Other than that, I'm good.

I haven't been on Hulu in months. Comcast On Demand sure is nice lol.
To each his own. I'm not hating on ya for that. All I am trying to do is let you know the android is a good alternative.

I just realized that you are already Apple owned. You have a MBP, and it would be useless to get a 'droid tablet unless you want to just play around with a new o/s.
Old 06-23-11, 10:24 AM   #22
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Why would an ipad2 be $50 cheaper?

Also if you really want an external keyboard go with the Zagg Mate. My wife has it and it is slick as hell. It is $99 though.

Interesting. I may get this for my wife later on. She already have my Galaxy Tab, and I can't get that thing away from her long enough to update the apps. Darn you, Angry Birds!
Old 06-23-11, 10:50 AM   #23
six_storm

Quote:
To each his own. I'm not hating on ya for that. All I am trying to do is let you know the android is a good alternative.

I just realized that you are already Apple owned. You have a MBP, and it would be useless to get a 'droid tablet unless you want to just play around with a new o/s.
I've bene eyeing the Viewsonic G-Tablet, it's >$300 and has Tegra 2 with 10" screen.

Guess you can say I'm Apple owned. I still rock an OG Droid too.
Old 06-23-11, 12:44 PM   #24
six_storm

Ok, after looking even further into it today, the Nook Color has topped my list. It's $250 and it surprisingly does really great when rooted, rom'd and oc'd. I think I can deal with that.

I just don't feel the need to spend over $350 for a tablet right now, I just feel retarded thinking about spending that kind of money when I have an awesome laptop with me all the time.