Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-11, 09:05 PM   #1
jkmetal

Default Games for windows live needs to die

I had to reformat so I had to reinstall all my programs. Of course, before doing so I back up all my data+save games. I decide to load up my 80% complete dirt 2 save game. Turns out though, now just saving my game saves wasn't enough. I had to save my ****ing games for windows folder and parts of my app data folder also. So now I just lost countless hours because of ****ing games for windows live. Its needs to die now.

Rant over.
Old 06-25-11, 09:14 PM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Games for windows live needs to die

Agreed. All this security just to protect achievements... What's worst, some games don't even have achievements and they are subject to the save and single player protections.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 09:36 PM   #3
Roadhog
Resident Alien

GFWL is the worst.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 10:25 PM   #4
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

yea gfwl is ok until you need to format.. by choice or not. That it is the spawn of satan.
Old 06-25-11, 10:29 PM   #5
jkmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
yea gfwl is ok until you need to format.. by choice or not. That it is the spawn of satan.
I had to reformat due to a virus that was the spawn of satan lol.
Old 06-26-11, 01:04 AM   #6
jkmetal

Still can't get my saves back after trying a few tricks. Really? I mean, seriously, they're gone?.. With no cloud back up either?... Its the principle of the thing more than anything. I'll have dirt 3 by the end of the month and dirt 2 will be a distant memory; but still... I mean really? Is skyrm going to be gfwl game? (if there is a god, hear my prayer.... lol)

First time I loaded up half life 2 and had to make a steam account I couldn't have cared less. (2004 lol) I had been entering cd keys for years for various software and this didn't seem too much different. First time I had to activate online it didn't matter to me. ( activation limits). When I had to create a gfwl account for fallout 3 I named it, no joke, a variation on "this is really stupid" (couldn't wait a sec to boot it up lol). But my save games were still intact and transferable. (they let me use it lol). Constant online connection to play single player? (ubisoft games!!) Weird, but whatever my computer has wireless and lan so I'm always connected. No biggie, still got my saves. (seriously, how weird is the be online to play single player thing?) Hard earned saves ****ed over=first ever rage face over drm. Seriously, just delete my game but let me keep my saves. Besides the gaming hardware I would think that save games were the most valuable gaming material to a gamer. Or if not a save game than a rank or whatever, some marker of your progress. This has really turned me around on gfwl and the future of drm.
Old 06-26-11, 06:39 AM   #7
General Lee

When part of the game includes jumping through hoops just to manage your game's files alone, it's time to re-evaluate the definition of gaming.

I say we go back to the days where First Person Shooter means you pick up your gun and blast the bastards that made the game that sent you on a rampage.

Oh wait...that wasn't the way it used to be. That's the way it's GOING to be. KILL THE PROGRAMMER!!!
Old 06-27-11, 02:26 AM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
When part of the game includes jumping through hoops just to manage your game's files alone, it's time to re-evaluate the definition of gaming.
You do not remember the DOS days of himem, sound card and mouse drivers? The crap I went through each format to get all my DOS games working with full sound and midi on my AWE64. I like to think I've earned my right to be a grumpy old PC gamer. With 2 hot console gfs... Oh yeah!
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-11, 02:56 AM   #9
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
You do not remember the DOS days of himem, sound card and mouse drivers? The crap I went through each format to get all my DOS games working with full sound and midi on my AWE64. I like to think I've earned my right to be a grumpy old PC gamer. With 2 hot console gfs... Oh yeah!

So true.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 08:56 AM   #10
General Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Oh, I remember those days well. However, a lot of hot games back then were worth the trouble. Back then, it wasn't about the graphics or sound, but the storylines and freedom. I give you exhibit A...which is my only one, but it's a good one.

Old 06-27-11, 02:39 PM   #11
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Bahahahaha that's the almighty map from DOOM, E1M6!
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 04:32 PM   #12
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmetal View Post
I had to reformat so I had to reinstall all my programs. Of course, before doing so I back up all my data+save games. I decide to load up my 80% complete dirt 2 save game. Turns out though, now just saving my game saves wasn't enough. I had to save my ****ing games for windows folder and parts of my app data folder also. So now I just lost countless hours because of ****ing games for windows live. Its needs to die now.

Rant over.
Its a new plan by Microsoft so that people get there moneys worth from their games....
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote