Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-11, 11:43 AM   #13
gar37bic

Default Re: Some icons of Cairo-Dock look ugly (or transparency) after wake-up from suspend

I wonder if this is an NV bug. If it is, it's also an ATI bug (at least for older drivers.) It occurs on both my Ubuntu boxes, one of which is a four year old Lenovo Z61M running Ubuntu 10.10 with ATI x1400 video, the other is a newer Dell T3400 running 10.04 with an NVidia Quadro FX 750. I'm also running Compiz on both machines.

I will double check when I get home tonight to make sure I'm not confused about the laptop!
gar37bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 07:54 AM   #14
gar37bic

Default Re: Some icons of Cairo-Dock look ugly (or transparency) after wake-up from suspend

Bump... Hello, NV!!! Hello ... Interesting that they don't even respond to the Cairo-dock team. Is there a separate bug reporting facility?

I'm still running Ubuntu 10.04 but with all the updates to date. NV driver is 195.36.24, Quadro FX 570
Old 05-03-11, 08:12 AM   #15
gar37bic

I just upgraded my driver to 270.41.06, still running Ubuntu 10.04. The problem seems to have gone away. Thanks to all who participated in the fix. I think it was the new driver, because it was still a problem a few minutes ago using the old driver.
Old 05-03-11, 08:49 AM   #16
matttbe

Yes it seems this bug is fixed with the latest version of NVidia drivers!
Thank you.
matttbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 08:36 AM   #17
gar37bic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar37bic View Post
I just upgraded my driver to 270.41.06, still running Ubuntu 10.04. The problem seems to have gone away. Thanks to all who participated in the fix. I think it was the new driver, because it was still a problem a few minutes ago using the old driver.
OOPS. Not so fast. Turns out it's still broken!! For some reason it seemed to be working, but this morning when I came back from suspend, it was back the same way. I will also note the following:

1. Not all icons are broken. the ones that consistently come back wrong are Firefox, Vim, Evince, and Gnome-Terminal, all in the dock section of running programs. The icons in the 'application' section (to launch new programs) are always fine, and the ones in the applet section (clock, trash, folders, etc.) are also OK.

2. The way I usually fix the icons is not to restart the dock, but to open another example of the particular program. For example, if I start another Vim instance, the icon for the running Vim instances is fixed (but NOT for the running GView instances - I have to run gview from the shell to fix that one.)
Old 05-05-11, 10:48 AM   #18
Licaon

270.41.06 too?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 11:21 PM   #19
Tsu Jan

Default Is the bug in nVidia?

We've reported the bug here. But are we really sure that the bug is in the nVidia driver and not in Cairo-Dock itself? What about the above report by "gar37bic"?
Tsu Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 06:06 AM   #20
matttbe

Default Re: Is the bug in nVidia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu Jan View Post
We've reported the bug here. But are we really sure that the bug is in the nVidia driver and not in Cairo-Dock itself? What about the above report by "gar37bic"?
It seems there is no problem with free drivers.
matttbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-11, 10:02 AM   #21
Tsu Jan

Default Re: Is the bug in nVidia?

Has anyone tried the unstable version of Nouveau? I haven't yet because I found no easy and reversible way to do so. And I don't think there's another free driver for GeForce that supports 3D.

It seems that we have to wait until Nouveau gets mature enough.
Old 06-22-11, 04:23 PM   #22
lesebas

Same problem for me, Ubuntu 10.04 and 11.04 Driver 260.19.06,

see the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDbglAgw1I8
lesebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 11:10 AM   #23
Tsu Jan

The problem has got worse with nvidia 275.09.07. Now, after wake-up, even Cairo-Dock itself isn't painted correctly but appears as a small rectangle. Entering the mouse cursor into its area corrects that.

The previous issue still persists.

Now I really believe that the problem is with the nVidia driver.
Old 06-28-11, 12:06 PM   #24
ledoc

I haven't read the whole thread, but have you guys tried 'force sync of x and glx' in the compiz workarounds settings? There was a time that helped against some kind of screen update problems.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote