Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-26-11, 04:40 PM   #49
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: debating a second gtx 590 or two gtx 580 3gb's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
AMD equals lower minimums, lower fps, and sometimes lower scaling due to limiting very high end graphics.
You're really missing the point. He has a 990 chipset, which means he can get bulldozer when it is out with all the features. Why would you compare the scaling of an old cpu vs a brand new one? Of course the old one is going to be slower.

Should he ditch his cpu and mobo and waste money on a 2500k+ and mobo, or stick with what he has, deal with the few fps less, and get just a cpu when bulldozer is out.

What you are looking at isn't a difference in scaling, it is just a faster cpu.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 11:30 PM   #50
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
You're really missing the point. He has a 990 chipset, which means he can get bulldozer when it is out with all the features. Why would you compare the scaling of an old cpu vs a brand new one? Of course the old one is going to be slower.

Should he ditch his cpu and mobo and waste money on a 2500k+ and mobo, or stick with what he has, deal with the few fps less, and get just a cpu when bulldozer is out.

The topic of the thread was new graphics, and he needs a new CPU before he does graphics because of the Phenom II being slow for his GTX590.

Whether he waits for Bulldozer and decides then, or gets a new cpu now, I guess is a matter of how long till Bulldozer launches and how annoyed is he that he's looking at costly CPU upgrades.

IIRC the weaker cpu was actually affecting the percent of scaling I got. I'll run that FC2 bench tomorrow to check it out. Must....sleep.....now....

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 10:32 AM   #51
SirPauly

Quote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI...ing,10742.html

http://www.elitebastards.com/index.p...ases&Itemid=34

ATI relevant gaming cards for multi-monitor....
1GB: 6770, 6790, 6850, 6870, 6950
2GB: 6990, 6970, 6950

Hell, I could even go back to the 5 series for multi monitor support on a single GPU if I wanted.

Though, even you said that 1 gpu is worthless for eyefinity and surround gaming... So, that leaves us with... hmm... 6990 and 590... 2GB vs 1.5GB. Also, don't you need SLI for surround gaming too? So that pretty much removes every gpu from your list except the 590.

Also, what are you talking about excluding previous gen? Hard to exclude something that is already featured. Unless you want to go all the way to the 4000 series. lol.
I shared that data in my 3d stereo thread awhile back. The key wording is demonstrating and nVidia is offering this to the consumer. But, it's wonderful to see Sapphire demonstrate this and another example of the industry trying to promote 3d stereo and reasons why it improves immersion and the gaming experience.

It's wonderful to have multi-monitor gaming on one card and hopefully future cards from nVidia will have this option. Thankfully, there is multi-GPU and having more performance for these resolutions is certainly welcomed, too.

Kyle's methods may not be agreed upon, but I am glad his site offered more awareness about the memory limitations at the higher resolutions because now nVidia and some partners are offering more ram choice for their Sku's.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 11:22 AM   #52
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12

Quote:

Roadhog, I couldn't have said it better myself. I am still kicking myself for not getting the ud7 mb though.
gigabyte z97x gaming gt mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, zotac gtx 970 4gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0,evga 1200p2 1200watt 80 plus platinum psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,lg 16x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, zalman zm-gm3 8200 dpi mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,adata 16gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech z906 5.1 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 01:17 PM   #53
Rollo

OK Wheeljack, here's why I posted about the AMD scaling (to date):

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...i-sli-review/5

Notice how Guru3d gets almost perfect scaling going from single to SLi at 25X16 8X16X using an i7 at 3.7GHz?
53fps to 100fps

I just ran that bench with my 2GB GTX560Tis at 25X16 4X16X, all maxed, on a Phenom II at 3.4GHz and went from 58fps to 84fps.

That's only 44% scaling. I can try it at 8X, but I don't think my scaling is going to more than double adding 4XAA.

That is why I said you should buy a cpu, not GPUs. Whatever GPU you put will be a good deal slower on the 1100.

As far as waiting/gambling on Bulldozer, yes, I might as well having just spent the money on the motherboard. I was only answering the question based on what currently exists, not what will someday and may or may not be good.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
Used 8XAA like Guru3d, 49fps to 78fps, 59% scaling for AMD, 88% on Intel.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 06-27-11, 02:40 PM   #54
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
OK Wheeljack, here's why I posted about the AMD scaling (to date):

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...i-sli-review/5

Notice how Guru3d gets almost perfect scaling going from single to SLi at 25X16 8X16X using an i7 at 3.7GHz?
53fps to 100fps

I just ran that bench with my 2GB GTX560Tis at 25X16 4X16X, all maxed, on a Phenom II at 3.4GHz and went from 58fps to 84fps.

That's only 44% scaling. I can try it at 8X, but I don't think my scaling is going to more than double adding 4XAA.

That is why I said you should buy a cpu, not GPUs. Whatever GPU you put will be a good deal slower on the 1100.

As far as waiting/gambling on Bulldozer, yes, I might as well having just spent the money on the motherboard. I was only answering the question based on what currently exists, not what will someday and may or may not be good.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
Used 8XAA like Guru3d, 49fps to 78fps, 59% scaling for AMD, 88% on Intel.
So, he should go waste money on a new motherboard and cpu, to maybe gain 30% in scaling at best. Instead of just waiting to see how bulldozer does, and if it's good then all he would have to do is buy a cpu? Your logic is retarded.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 08:56 AM   #55
wheeljack12

well, I took a plunge towards glory. I saw ud7 mb at the right price and got it and am giving the ud5 to my brother so can also be bullozer ready. Mind you he only has a gtx 580. I also got a second gtx 590 for quad sli damage. I don't gamble on tech. I know Bulldozer is going to kick ass. And when I am right, watch Rollo get all of a sudden get real quiet about this when sandy bridge is getting a run for it's money. BTW, they didn't just recall Bulldozer because of low yields, they are also going back to the drawing board to get more horsepower out the cpu. In other words, AMD knows that they have get better per clock on the cpu. I read this in a article somewhere that it was cpu horsepower related being the recall. I like when someone doesn't see that their product isn't good enough to go to market yet and perfects it. Now if AMD would do this for their graphics.. and Nvidia wouldn't release a card (gtx 480) that wasn't ready in terms of heat instead of perfecting it with Vapor Chamber cooling in the gtx 480, they would have had no reason to make a refresh for quite some time.
gigabyte z97x gaming gt mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, zotac gtx 970 4gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0,evga 1200p2 1200watt 80 plus platinum psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,lg 16x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, zalman zm-gm3 8200 dpi mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,adata 16gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech z906 5.1 speakers

Old 06-29-11, 09:38 AM   #56
SirPauly

Offering you don't gamble on tech yet you offer like fact you know what future products may hold.

Old 06-29-11, 10:26 AM   #57
wheeljack12

then why don't you and Rollo just be honest you want AMD to just die so intel can monopolize and price gouge the market. who would stop intel with a antitrust of monopolization, no one! I was a intel fan up until I had a 980x cpu. Even with the non extreme hex core cpu's(980 and 970), they are still way out to lunch on price especially if snb is half the cost of a hex core and outmatches it. $600 for 1366 hex core cpu's, really? And I won't even get into the extreme at $1000 for just unlocking the multiplier over the $600 ones! if intel were smart, they would get rid of 1366 quad core completely and sell $3-400 hex core to compete meaing more models to along with 980 and 970. They can also keep the extreme edition for benchmarkers and big wallets. I was a inch away fromn getting snb but the chipset fault that had to be repaired with b3 stepping was the reason I didn't go for one. I didn't have a pc since I sold off the 980x,mb and ram, so I chose the next best thing. And now the money I have invested in AMD, why would I take a loss in selling of my stuff that is future upgradable. What I wish is somebody would get a hold of a engineering sample of 8 core bulldozer so we can see what it can really do in multi gpu scaling.

Old 06-29-11, 12:05 PM   #58
SirPauly

I don't know where that is coming from. Anyone with any kind of logic understands that the market needs strong competition, from a consumer point-of-view, to continue to bring innovation and value.

If you desire to have an AMD chip-set or CPU, don't have any problem with your choices and grateful for choices to consider. The key that is odd is your statement, " I don't gamble on tech!" but you're gambling on prospective, future products that are not offered yet. You simply don't know as fact. It may be and you're gambling on this.
Old 06-29-11, 12:43 PM   #59
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack12 View Post
well, I took a plunge towards glory. I saw ud7 mb at the right price and got it ... I also got a second gtx 590 for quad sli damage. I don't gamble on tech. I know Bulldozer is going to kick ass
How do you know that? Only employees and perhaps NDA folks have this info now. Unless you're one or the other other, your "plunge to glory" might be a "fools rush in" situation.

Only one thing is certain- with your current costly quad setup you're more cpu limitd than you need to be until Bulldozer launches.

I wish I could have found the article I first thought of when I saw your post which had Phenom 2 vs Intel, I think on 3 way Sli.

Personally, I have nothing but admiration for AMD the CPU company, and have been a steady customer of theirs since 486 days with multiple purchases in each generation.

Rig 2:

Old 06-29-11, 12:45 PM   #60
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack12 View Post
then why don't you and Rollo just be honest you want AMD to just die so intel can monopolize and price gouge the market. .
Think about what you just wrote- unless we work for Intel or own a lot of Intel stock, it makes no sense. We get gouged too, so where is the advantage for us if AMD goes under?

Rig 2: