Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-01-11, 03:52 PM   #13
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Need some comments on this deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
The I5-2500k or I7-2600k will outperform any of the triple channel (X58 motherboard) chips for gaming. The 2600k apparently outperforms even the expensive six core Gulftown CPUs for most (not all) applications. The k suffix (unlocked multiplier) Sandy Bridge CPUs are also easy to overclock above 4 GHz. (Get a third party CPU cooler.)

The memory controller performance on the Sandy Bridge CPUs is also better than on the first generation chips, so that will partly make up for the dual channel limitation.

My main complaint with the P67/Z68 motherboards is that it appears to be easier to brick them than for the older boards. I don't know why, it may have something to do with uEFI. (MSI uses a hybrid BIOS/EFI system that is still supposed to support booting from GPT disks.) I'm on my third board. I'd never rendered a motherboard unbootable before, in 14 years of BIOS updates.

I guarantee you that my rig will still play any games out now, and any games that will come out in the next 8 months.

Having a SB rig is nice, but I don't need one right now. Heck, I might not need one by this time next year. If (big "if") I decide to upgrade in the next year, it won't be because I can't play any games on max....it will be because I want to.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 04:06 PM   #14
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I'm running a 5770 as well I like how nice and cool it runs so I haven't wanted to upgrade it just yet because these console ported games don't really take advantage of anything faster. I'll probably upgrade it around the time that skyrim comes out. The nice thing about the 2600k is that it has a lower tdp than my q6700 so it will run cooler while being much faster.
This is pretty much my situation as well. Loving this 5770.

Hoping to upgrade to the 7770 later this year though, pretty much for Skyrim, BF3, and a few others coming out later. And unless I can get a 970 for cheap, I've no plans on upgrading this CPU. The RAM and mobo I'm considering replacing, mostly so I can get 24GB of RAM, my HDDs I'm hoping to "revamp" mostly for larger storage, but also for some better SSDs. All of that I'll be doing simply because I want to, not at all because I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post

I guarantee you that my rig will still play any games out now, and any games that will come out in the next 8 months.

Having a SB rig is nice, but I don't need one right now. Heck, I might not need one by this time next year. If (big "if") I decide to upgrade in the next year, it won't be because I can't play any games on max....it will be because I want to.
Pretty much my stance. The few games I cannot max, I can get pretty darn close to it. Good enough for me.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 04:35 PM   #15
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post

It's ok son just save your pennies and you can get a rig as good as daddys someday

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 05:08 PM   #16
bobkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I still laugh at people whom hint that an x58 platform is insufficient for gaming.
As I didn't suggest anything like that, it seems like a non sequitur.

(I suppose that there are many Socket 775 systems out there that are more than adequate for gaming.)

I've read postings by compulsive people who are peeved that SB gives the best performance at the moment, even though it isn't a high-end system like X58. Sad.
Old 07-01-11, 07:03 PM   #17
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
I've read postings by compulsive people who are peeved that SB gives the best performance at the moment, even though it isn't a high-end system like X58. Sad.
Whats meant by sandy bridge not being a high end system? I don't get it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 07-01-11, 07:07 PM   #18
Redeemed

Quote:
Whats meant by sandy bridge not being a high end system? I don't get it.
Even though SB can offer comparable performance to the best LGA1366 chips, it technically isn't Intel's "high-end" offerent. That's SNB-E, which will likely be out early next year.

Which means Intel doesn't really have a high-end at the moment per se, as there's very little reason to buy an LGA1366 system with SB being so much cheaper yet either as fast or faster in 90%+ situations.
Old 07-01-11, 07:50 PM   #19
Rakeesh

Well I think it is pretty cheap, and from the sound of things my system is going to be a beast.

Old 07-01-11, 08:19 PM   #20
Redeemed

Quote:
Well I think it is pretty cheap, and from the sound of things my system is going to be a beast.
It will be. It'll keep up with the best x58 based systems out there. SB is no slouch.

But for this already rocking an x58 based rig, no real reason to go SB yet. More of a side-grade than an upgrade.

Old 07-01-11, 11:00 PM   #21
Rakeesh

Woot, finished upgrading in an hour, windows 7 is pretty good about detecting and reconfiguring for an entirely new system without crashing like windows xp always did. I'll reformat once my new SSD gets here.

Pretty interesting configuration, I didn't know that sandy bridge doesn't have an FSB. It seems that they learned from AMD as well and finally integrated the memory controller into the CPU.

This motherboard has a beautiful bios btw, boots up fast and is totally UEFI compliant.

Old 07-01-11, 11:02 PM   #22
Redeemed

Quote:
Woot, finished upgrading in an hour, windows 7 is pretty good about detecting and reconfiguring for an entirely new system without crashing like windows xp always did. I'll reformat once my new SSD gets here.

Pretty interesting configuration, I didn't know that sandy bridge doesn't have an FSB. It seems that they learned from AMD as well and finally integrated the memory controller into the CPU.

This motherboard has a beautiful bios btw, boots up fast and is totally UEFI compliant.
Intel has had an IMC since the first i7 on LGA1366. Still don't understand the "ooh" and "ahh" over the GUI on a UEFI system... GUI interfaces were available back on old 386 and 486 based systems.

Anyhow, once you get it all together, post pics.
Old 07-02-11, 12:14 AM   #23
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Intel has had an IMC since the first i7 on LGA1366. Still don't understand the "ooh" and "ahh" over the GUI on a UEFI system... GUI interfaces were available back on old 386 and 486 based systems.

Anyhow, once you get it all together, post pics.
UEFI isn't about a gui, in fact don't think that having a gui is even part of the UEFI spec.

The benefits of UEFI are numerous, many of which we probably won't see anytime soon. For example, eventually we won't need drivers anymore. The hardware will establish an CPU independent interface with the UEFI, and the OS won't need to deal with the hardware directly, it can interact solely with the UEFI instead. This can mean, for example, that upgrading to a new version of windows won't obsolete any of your old hardware because the manufacturer won't write a new driver.

Current benefits we can take advantage of though, include obsolescence of MBR in favor of GPT, which among other things, has a virtually unlimited partition limit, and supports hard drives far greater than the 2.2TB limit of BIOS.

In addition, UEFI no longer requires POST, in fact unlike BIOS, it doesn't even have any specification for self test, so none is necessary. This means a huge reduction in the time required to start your computer from a cold boot.

EDIT:

Old 07-02-11, 12:35 AM   #24
mullet

Big brain strikes again. dude you got that system together yet?