Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-04-11, 08:11 PM   #25
TheSwissKnife

Default Re: GF100 VDPAU performance is really not good

I am not sure there is much purpose of this forum when it comes to support from NVidia. I don't think I have ever got a reply for anything posted. It is such a shame!

Regarding the Shuttle XS35GT at least I suspect the issue might be related to the power source being incorrectly reported as battery and something is not allowing battery mode to go to max speed.
TheSwissKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 08:27 PM   #26
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwissKnife View Post
I am not sure there is much purpose of this forum when it comes to support from NVidia. I don't think I have ever got a reply for anything posted. It is such a shame!
I don't see any of the requested info that is stickied at the top of these forums provided from you. It isn't surprising you are not getting replied to.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 07:36 AM   #27
TheSwissKnife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
I don't see any of the requested info that is stickied at the top of these forums provided from you. It isn't surprising you are not getting replied to.
Well if that is the way these guys work good for them. I happen to be asking questions where not all the information is relevant (or important) or just adding to others observations with similar setup. If every comment needs war and peace from every single user then it will only make threads more difficult to read. If something in particular was required to help then someone could ask - does not take more than a few seconds. Anyway why use me and my poor issue logging as an example when this thread is a shining example of Nvidia's lack of interest in Linux (though the Windows support is almost the same).
Old 07-05-11, 08:16 AM   #28
artem

TheSwissKnife

AMD doesn't even have official or unofficial support forums.

These forums, even though NVIDIA representatives visit them, are not meant to be the official support channel. Forward your questions to NVIDIA linux support e-mail and pray you issue to get noticed.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 08:46 AM   #29
TheSwissKnife

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
TheSwissKnife

AMD doesn't even have official or unofficial support forums.

These forums, even though NVIDIA representatives visit them, are not meant to be the official support channel. Forward your questions to NVIDIA linux support e-mail and pray you issue to get noticed.
Yes I know AMD is awful too...but that is no excuse. Support via email...hmmm...more chance than via this forum?
Old 07-06-11, 08:28 AM   #30
Gusar

Quote:
Well if that is the way these guys work good for them. I happen to be asking questions where not all the information is relevant (or important) or just adding to others observations with similar setup. If every comment needs war and peace from every single user then it will only make threads more difficult to read. If something in particular was required to help then someone could ask - does not take more than a few seconds. Anyway why use me and my poor issue logging as an example when this thread is a shining example of Nvidia's lack of interest in Linux (though the Windows support is almost the same).
There are stickies in this forum that explain what info you need to provide in order to get assistance. One of the stickies specifically in regards to vdpau issues. Instead of writing this post, which I must admit I have difficulties fully comprehending, you should go and provide that info.

But even if you posts the info the stickies request, you might not get a response. Because what I see in this thread is posts again and again by the same small group of people. Which means this is a very localized phenomenon. Which means that if there's any chance nvidia could reproduce it, they'd need very exact specs of all the hardware in your machine (and possibly software), then go out and fetch the very same hardware. Something I don't see is likely to happen unless you have a support contract.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:35 AM   #31
camelreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
We have repro'd this issue, but it is not yet fixed.
Just to remind commenters here that the issue has been reproduced...

Nico
camelreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 11:38 AM   #32
Deanjo

Quote:
Well if that is the way these guys work good for them. I happen to be asking questions where not all the information is relevant (or important) or just adding to others observations with similar setup.
With out proper data it is impossible to tell if your issue is the same or not. I can't tell you the amount of times someone has tagged onto another bug report because they thought they had similar issues but the root cause turned out to be something entirely different.

Quote:
If every comment needs war and peace from every single user then it will only make threads more difficult to read. If something in particular was required to help then someone could ask - does not take more than a few seconds.
It doesn't take more then a few seconds to read the stickied guides either. They have already told you in those what is needed to properly diagnose an issue. If you can't follow that then it is not surprising that you talking to deaf ears. Posting proper information does not make a thread harder to read, if anything it makes it much simpler as all the pertinent information that is needed is available.

Quote:
Anyway why use me and my poor issue logging as an example when this thread is a shining example of Nvidia's lack of interest in Linux (though the Windows support is almost the same).
Because the issue isn't if they are interested in linux or not, but if they bother wasting time responding to reports of issues for which the person has provided no data that they require. Every single bug report that I have filed in nearly a decade has been answered either though their email support or these forums. Why? Probably because I provide a complete bug report and not just a "blah blah blah no workie" post/email.

Old 07-06-11, 11:39 AM   #33
Deanjo

One other thing as well, it is summer, people do go on vacation.
Old 07-08-11, 05:24 AM   #34
TheSwissKnife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
With out proper data it is impossible to tell if your issue is the same or not. I can't tell you the amount of times someone has tagged onto another bug report because they thought they had similar issues but the root cause turned out to be something entirely different.

It doesn't take more then a few seconds to read the stickied guides either. They have already told you in those what is needed to properly diagnose an issue. If you can't follow that then it is not surprising that you talking to deaf ears. Posting proper information does not make a thread harder to read, if anything it makes it much simpler as all the pertinent information that is needed is available.

Because the issue isn't if they are interested in linux or not, but if they bother wasting time responding to reports of issues for which the person has provided no data that they require. Every single bug report that I have filed in nearly a decade has been answered either though their email support or these forums. Why? Probably because I provide a complete bug report and not just a "blah blah blah no workie" post/email.
Good for you - I am so happy but I am quite sure you are more than lucky then. This is not my thread and I am not hijacking it. I am commenting that I have the same or at least very very similar issue as the others because I am very sure I do. That should help this thread when someone from NVidia decides to given some feedback - ie more than one person with the issue. It would not take long for someone from NVidia to say.."issue repro'd, happens in the following cases, fix available probably in next 3-6 months" or something like that. It could at least appear in the known issues of each driver.

In another post (my own) I asked a simple question about vdpau - and how it is designed to work in a particular case - 3 posts...long wait...no response from anyone at all...I have been patient...so please stop preaching.
Old 07-14-11, 11:52 AM   #35
pilouface

I totally agree with SwissKnife. It's a shame that this bug hasn't been fixed yet...
Nvidia has all the information needed, the bug has been repro'd a long time ago, and they know that it appeared in 256.x...
pilouface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 03:13 PM   #36
camelreef

280.13, still the same
camelreef is offline   Reply With Quote