Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-11, 05:24 PM   #1
Bman212121

Default MS 360 about halfway through its lifecycle

Saw this article on [H]

Quote:
Xbox 360 is about "halfway through" its lifecycle, estimates Xbox's EMEA VP, Chris Lewis.

Speaking to trade mag MCV in a new interview, the Microsoft man claimed Kinect has provided a "shot of adrenaline" for the six-year-old home console, which is rumoured to be seeing a successor as soon as next year.

Asked if Xbox is still growing at this "late stage in a console lifecycle", Lewis said:

"We see it as about halfway through. But yes you are right, Xbox is defying the normal curve you might expect. There's no doubt that Kinect put a huge shot of adrenaline into the business.

"What we are now seeing is massive swathes of families and younger audiences flocking to it. As you saw at the press conference, we are now in line with what we projected at E3 2010."

Lewis went on to explain that Microsoft deliberately focused on families and kids first with Kinect, and now it's moving on to provide "complimentary" experiences for core gamers.

"What you won't see is us contriving that," he said. "What you will see is us using Kinect to enhance the experience and not detract from it. I don't think our core gamers will tolerate anything else from us."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...its-lifecycle/

Not exactly sure what this will mean for games. On one hand it's possible that a lot of games will just stick with the same formula as now and have average graphics. But if in a couple of years the gap between pcs and console is so large it might make some developers decide to go for a better looking game with the pc in mind.

One good point is that like the PS2, there could be overlap between the Xbox 360 and the next console. So it might only be 3 years before the next console comes out, and the rest is overlap.

Also, one thing that occured to me is there is a good chance that there is going to be serious shifting in the market soon. With all of the talk about tablets and smartphones lately, I could see the next console possible being ARM powered and running an MS hypervisor much like the PS3 does. Then devs could make a game that would run on the pc, console, phones and tablets. Given the huge push in smartphones and integrated graphics processing power in a few more years they might be on par to where a game could potentially run on anything. Graphics won't being going up much if that's the case, but it would allow for cross platform usage. I can basically bet that the next xbox would be running Windows 8 and have access to the "app" store. On top of that MS acquistion of Sykpe for universal VoIP. The 360 is already a glorified computer, so it's not that much of a stretch to bridge the gap between gaming pc and HTPC or possibly even pc replacement.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 07:01 PM   #2
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: MS 360 about halfway through its lifecycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Saw this article on [H]

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...its-lifecycle/

Not exactly sure what this will mean for games. On one hand it's possible that a lot of games will just stick with the same formula as now and have average graphics. But if in a couple of years the gap between pcs and console is so large it might make some developers decide to go for a better looking game with the pc in mind.

One good point is that like the PS2, there could be overlap between the Xbox 360 and the next console. So it might only be 3 years before the next console comes out, and the rest is overlap.

Also, one thing that occured to me is there is a good chance that there is going to be serious shifting in the market soon. With all of the talk about tablets and smartphones lately, I could see the next console possible being ARM powered and running an MS hypervisor much like the PS3 does. Then devs could make a game that would run on the pc, console, phones and tablets. Given the huge push in smartphones and integrated graphics processing power in a few more years they might be on par to where a game could potentially run on anything. Graphics won't being going up much if that's the case, but it would allow for cross platform usage. I can basically bet that the next xbox would be running Windows 8 and have access to the "app" store. On top of that MS acquistion of Sykpe for universal VoIP. The 360 is already a glorified computer, so it's not that much of a stretch to bridge the gap between gaming pc and HTPC or possibly even pc replacement.

I think the devs are chomping at the bit to get some DX11 console hardware to work with but MS and Sony have no intention of moving forward at this point. I think we are going to see a shift to more PC designed games and scaled back ports to the consoles.

Microsoft wants people to believe this so that they sell more units... and just when they get a good demographic they will screw everyone and put out new hardware expecting everyone to upgrade. Games like COD won't survive on the PC if they don't overhaul the engine soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 09:00 PM   #3
Yaboze

MS and Sony know that cell phones and tablets are really eating into consoles as well as laptops and PC's, so I don't think they'll rush out new consoles anytime soon.

I read an article saying that these companies (MS, Sony) are trying to position their consoles as entertainment centers to help extend the life and continue sales. Hulu, Netflix and other services on the consoles as well as streaming music and all the other stuff they can do.

Their point was that companies are trying hard to get people to spend $50 on a game where people with iPads can get a game without getting off of their couch (download) for $5 that gives them just as much entertainment. I must admit, I have had a ton of fun with some of these mobile/tablet games like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Infinity Blade and some of the others...and they are cheap.

People don't always want to spend $60 on a game like Crysis 2 that's 10 hours long.

By waiting out the next gen console game, it gives MS/Sony time to see how the cell phone/tablet thing is going to play out.

Last edited by Yaboze; 06-27-11 at 09:23 AM.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 10:36 AM   #4
Bman212121

Very good points guys!
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 12:12 PM   #5
Zelda_fan

I think nico just had a heart attack.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 11:34 AM   #6
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
Damn you beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2
I think the devs are chomping at the bit to get some DX11 console hardware to work with but MS and Sony have no intention of moving forward at this point. I think we are going to see a shift to more PC designed games and scaled back ports to the consoles.
Oh man I really hope this is what happens. I've been happy that all new games run flawlessly at max settings on this 2 year old rig (especially since money is tight right now and upgrading isn't an option) but it just illustrates the fact that not many games have really pushed the envelope in terms of PC performance. Maybe Witcher 2 and Metro 2033? I can't really think of anything else.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 03:10 AM   #7
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I think the devs are chomping at the bit to get some DX11 console hardware to work with but MS and Sony have no intention of moving forward at this point.
While Devs are always wanting newer/faster hardware, the game companies in general don't like hardware changes because it eats into their profits while they pay people to learn the new stuff and adapt what they have. Besides, as the Wii clearly showed us, it isn't always about the graphics but it is about the gameplay, and it isn't like the Wii-U is pushing the envelope.

Also given that the world is still in somewhat of a recession, I don't think a lot of people are particularly interested in going out and buying a new $400-$600 console.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 03:06 PM   #8
nicorulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
Haha, funny Zelda . I got no hate. Just think it is sad that we appear to be stuck in 2nd gear when it comes to consoles. Oh well, at least I have my pc. If there was never new hardware, then the genius of Carmack and like would have never been exposed. Oh well, XB720 in 2016
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-11, 03:48 PM   #9
ViN86

I still can't believe we are only halfway through its life. Console lifetimes are only supposed to be about 6-7 years. At least that's what everyone has been telling us.

Imagine how outdated the 360 will be in another 6 years.

Gaming PC's will probably average 8GB of DDR4, 8 cores/threads, and GPU's that will put today's latest models to shame, but the 360 will still be sporting hardware from 2005. It's actually kind of funny when you think about it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 04:01 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I still can't believe we are only halfway through its life. Console lifetimes are only supposed to be about 6-7 years. At least that's what everyone has been telling us.

Imagine how outdated the 360 will be in another 6 years.

Gaming PC's will probably average 8GB of DDR4, 8 cores/threads, and GPU's that will put today's latest models to shame, but the 360 will still be sporting hardware from 2005. It's actually kind of funny when you think about it.
And we'll be playing games on three monitors, 2560 x 1600 each, single GPU, 32xAA and averaging 120fps on the latest titles.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 04:09 PM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
And we'll be playing games on three monitors, 2560 x 1600 each, single GPU, 32xAA and averaging 120fps on the latest titles.
and still getting ports from consoles thanks to continuing weak sales on the PC Platform.

Sony has stated that the PS3 had a 10 year lifespan, that does not mean they wont release another console within those 10 years. The PS3 launched 6 years into the PS2s lifespan, who's to say that Sony wont announce another console next year at the 6 year mark for the PS3.

PCs will always play second fiddle to consoles until the always connected or free model takes over. The PC industry is heading towards the Free to Play Micro-transaction system.
Old 07-13-11, 08:42 PM   #12
nicorulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
and still getting ports from consoles thanks to continuing weak sales on the PC Platform.

Sony has stated that the PS3 had a 10 year lifespan, that does not mean they wont release another console within those 10 years. The PS3 launched 6 years into the PS2s lifespan, who's to say that Sony wont announce another console next year at the 6 year mark for the PS3.

PCs will always play second fiddle to consoles until the always connected or free model takes over. The PC industry is heading towards the Free to Play Micro-transaction system.
Magus,

Sadly you are correct. Crysis 2 which should have been most prominent on the pc has been totally demolished by the XB360 and even PS3. Sad that now with the inclusion of DX11 and the high resolution pack which make the game look SWEET!!!! , the pc still lags way behind. I hope you are wrong that not all the major players will abandon the pc market, because the guts of all consoles usually starts from the pc. Oh well, I am envisioning the day where the consoles will have upgradeable GPU's; jk lol. Take care guys. Sad state we have in pc gaming.

http://www.destructoid.com/crysis-2-...s-197396.phtml

Nico

PS...Zelda please don't come on board and say I told you so
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote