Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-22-11, 07:15 PM   #1
sillyeagle
sillyego

Default Torrents causing modem to drop offline

I can't figure this one out. Torrents and torrents alone cause my modem to drop, and only once the speed ramps way up. Once it gets up to the 10mbit+ range I'm in danger of a drop, and when it gets up to 20mbit its surely going to drop soon.

Levels to the modem are good, and I've tried extra cooling to ensure the modem is not overheating. Tried bypassing my coax splitters to ensure maximum signal to the modem, bypassed router, same issues.

I'm not a big torrent guy, so not all that familiar with utorrent and the various settings involved, but the issue seems specific to torrents if that means anything. I did try reducing the number of permitted connections in utorrent, bu half, but still had the issue.

What do you think, bad modem?
EVGA Intel X58
Old 06-22-11, 07:19 PM   #2
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: Torrents causing modem to drop offline

Sounds like the modem can't handle all the connections... Try reducing them more, or I'd just get a different one.

Maybe your Zen force field is too strong and messing with the Zen of the modem too.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 09:59 PM   #3
JasonPC

It sounds like a packet storm. Try reducing the maximum amount of connections that can be made either upstream or downstream.

Maybe try limiting the maximum speed of the download as well.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 11:00 PM   #4
ICE2K
AMAZON LUVA

Send a message via AIM to ICE2K
Exclamation Re: Torrents causing modem to drop offline

try another torrent program i use bittorrent sumtimes the pc has slow responces when i'm dl a big file....
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 560 TI 1GB
DUAL 17" MONITORS
320,2X 1.5 TB SATA HD'S
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 300R
COOLER MASTER EXTREME 500W PSU

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=342
ICE2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 11:52 PM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
I can't figure this one out. Torrents and torrents alone cause my modem to drop, and only once the speed ramps way up. Once it gets up to the 10mbit+ range I'm in danger of a drop, and when it gets up to 20mbit its surely going to drop soon.

Levels to the modem are good, and I've tried extra cooling to ensure the modem is not overheating. Tried bypassing my coax splitters to ensure maximum signal to the modem, bypassed router, same issues.

I'm not a big torrent guy, so not all that familiar with utorrent and the various settings involved, but the issue seems specific to torrents if that means anything. I did try reducing the number of permitted connections in utorrent, bu half, but still had the issue.

What do you think, bad modem?
like others have said, reduce max connections
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 08:19 AM   #6
mullet

First splitters are not to be used with modems.
what kind of modem is it.
I think your upstream is getting to high and kicking the modem offline.
if you have a Motorola surfboard go to http://192.168.100.1
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 07:10 PM   #7
frenchy2k1

other possibility: your internet provider is cutting you because of the use of torrents.
Comcast used to do that...
Old 07-06-11, 09:21 PM   #8
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
First splitters are not to be used with modems.
what kind of modem is it.
I think your upstream is getting to high and kicking the modem offline.
What do you mean splitters are not to be used with modems? The main line has to be divided up somehow, and splitters are how it's done. The splitters are Regal 5-1000MHz.

I've got my room on the 3.5db side of the 3.5/7.5/7.5 three way splitter on the main line, and within my room there's a 3.5/3.5 two way splitter which is the one I tried bypassing. Running 3.5db off the main line should be more than enough signal.

The modem is an Ambit/Ubee, and the upstream is 45.7dbmv with the two way splitter in my room in use, which should be within the my providers acceptable range of 45-55dbmv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post
other possibility: your internet provider is cutting you because of the use of torrents.
Comcast used to do that...
I used to work for my provider, so I know this one wouldn't apply. My provider doesn't even honor DCMA requests to shut users down.

I have tried cutting the connectionbs in half, but I'll try going down even more. I'll also try another torrent program and see what happens.
EVGA Intel X58

Old 07-06-11, 09:45 PM   #9
Vagabond
Real World Labs

Send a message via ICQ to Vagabond

Either your modem can't handle the maximum number of connections or your line has issues since you say that this occurs only when going over a certain point. First try to reduce the number of connections and if that doesn't help you can either specify the maximum speed used by torrents so it doesnt go over 20mb or you can ask your ISP to lower your downstream connection speed.
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 10:19 PM   #10
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
I used to work for my provider, so I know this one wouldn't apply. My provider doesn't even honor DCMA requests to shut users down.

I have tried cutting the connectionbs in half, but I'll try going down even more. I'll also try another torrent program and see what happens.
Just curious what is the number of connections it's making??? You've halved the total, but didn't tell us the number.
Old 07-07-11, 08:28 AM   #11
mullet

sillyeagle, I glad you got out all figured out.
Old 07-07-11, 11:18 AM   #12
Runningman

Quote:
What do you mean splitters are not to be used with modems? The main line has to be divided up somehow, and splitters are how it's done. The splitters are Regal 5-1000MHz.

I've got my room on the 3.5db side of the 3.5/7.5/7.5 three way splitter on the main line, and within my room there's a 3.5/3.5 two way splitter which is the one I tried bypassing. Running 3.5db off the main line should be more than enough signal.

The modem is an Ambit/Ubee, and the upstream is 45.7dbmv with the two way splitter in my room in use, which should be within the my providers acceptable range of 45-55dbmv.

First off, remove the splitters because when a power spike hits alot of times its the splitters that go out first. Second check all your cabling, IE ethernet cables/coax. Third, if this doesnt work, its either a problem with your modem/router or the nic in your system. First try to flash the routers firmware then if that doesnt work replace the router. Ive seen alot of those toy routers motherboards go bad and when it does, it sends the system into a panic causing it to drop connections and reboot...
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote