Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-29-11, 04:43 PM   #133
theone123

Default Re: Linux backlight driver

Hmm I also wonder, why no version after 0.60 works for my configuration! Does anyone know why? I know i posted it before, but I just wanted to know if there's a progress on this question.

Sony VAIO VPCCW1S1E
theone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 12:39 PM   #134
XjCook

What's difference between this driver and Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1" in xorg.conf?
XjCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 01:37 PM   #135
rohandhruva

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjCook View Post
What's difference between this driver and Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1" in xorg.conf?
The latter doesn't work for most people.
rohandhruva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 08:17 PM   #136
alessandro_ufms

The brightness control still not working on 275.09. When Nvidia will resolve this problem? Is this problem confirmed at least? Any developer here? Are you take a look on nvidia-bl module to try implement it directly on your driver? Nvidia-bl module works here, but the nvidia driver change back to maximum brightness when running a GPU accelerated application. The nvidia-bl devs is tied because he doesn't have access to "privileged information", so the official developers is the only ones that we can ask for this. Please, implement this.
alessandro_ufms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 11:05 AM   #137
alessandro_ufms

Still reproducible on 275.09.04. Nvidia bug attached.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (71.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-14-11, 01:00 PM   #138
alessandro_ufms

Still reproducible on 275.09.07.

I don't know if this is related with the problem but there is a warning on the system log:
WARNING: at drivers/video/backlight/backlight.c:314 backlight_device_register+0x1cd/0x210()
Hardware name: VPCCW27FX
nvidia_backlight: invalid backlight type
Modules linked in: nvidia_bl(+) aesni_intel cryptd aes_x86_64 aes_generic ipt_REJECT ipt_LOG xt_multiport xt_limit xt_tcpudp xt_addrtype xt_state ip6_tables nf_nat_irc nf_conntrack_irc nf_nat_ftp nf_nat rfcomm nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_defrag_ipv4 nf_conntrack_ftp nf_conntrack iptable_filter bnep ip_tables x_tables snd_hda_codec_hdmi uvcvideo usbhid videodev hid media v4l2_compat_ioctl32 btusb bluetooth snd_hda_codec_realtek nvidia(P) snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec joydev snd_hwdep sg arc4 snd_pcm ecb snd_timer ath9k ehci_hcd usbcore mac80211 ath9k_common firewire_ohci firewire_core iTCO_wdt psmouse snd sdhci_pci sdhci mmc_core iTCO_vendor_support sky2 crc_itu_t serio_raw pcspkr ath9k_hw sony_laptop intel_ips soundcore i2c_i801 intel_agp intel_gtt snd_page_alloc i2c_core thermal evdev ath fuse video cfg80211 rfkill wmi ac button battery vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxdrv cpufreq_ondemand acpi_cpufreq freq_table processor mperf ext4 mbcache jbd2 crc16 uvesafb cn sr_mod cdrom sd_mod ahci libahci libata scsi_mod [last unloaded: nvidia_bl]
Pid: 16444, comm: modprobe Tainted: P W 2.6.39-ARCH #1
Call Trace:
[<ffffffff8105b8ef>] warn_slowpath_common+0x7f/0xc0
[<ffffffff8105b9e6>] warn_slowpath_fmt+0x46/0x50
[<ffffffff812e0439>] ? dev_set_drvdata+0x39/0x50
[<ffffffff81269f7d>] backlight_device_register+0x1cd/0x210
[<ffffffffa10a8000>] ? 0xffffffffa10a7fff
[<ffffffffa10a8351>] nvidia_bl_init+0x351/0x369 [nvidia_bl]
[<ffffffff81002040>] do_one_initcall+0x40/0x180
[<ffffffff8109b023>] sys_init_module+0xb3/0x200
[<ffffffff813e9b42>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
---[ end trace 1ea678c9c95a37fa ]---
Old 07-08-11, 06:16 AM   #139
bhb192

Okay you guys, I have some good news!

After fooling around with getting backlight controls to work on my Sony Vaio VPCCW17FX for a little over a year now...I've finally found the ideal solution. This should work with most other Sony Vaio users on here who are having this backlight issue, and best of all it works with the Gnome Brightness Applet without any ACPI scripts!

1) Get the latest version of nvidiabl from guillaumezin's github page. Using the .deb installer should work fine, but if your model is not supported then you may need to download the source, add your model's details to the laptops.h file, and compile it yourself.

2) Download the source code for Gnome Power Manager by typing this in a terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install git (if you haven't already installed git)
git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-power-manager
3) Open ~/gnome-power-manager/src/gpm-backlight-helper.c in a text editor. On line 63, replace "sony" with "nvidia_backlight", so that the section looks like this:
Code:
	/* available kernel interfaces in priority order */
	static const gchar *backlight_interfaces[] = {
		"nv_backlight",
		"asus_laptop",
		"toshiba",
		"eeepc",
		"thinkpad_screen",
		"acpi_video1",
		"mbp_backlight",
		"acpi_video0",
		"fujitsu-laptop",
		"nvidia_backlight",
		"samsung",
		NULL,
	};
4) Compile (but don't install!) the new gnome-power-manager by typing this into the terminal:
[WARNING] This package has a lot of dependencies! It will tell you if you are missing something, but you may have to go through this multiple times before you get all of the dependency packages installed. If apt-get says it can't find one, remember to replace the version number with * or possibly add the asterisk onto the end of the package name.
Code:
cd ~/gnome-power-manager
./autogen.sh
make
5) Remove anything from /etc/acpi and /etc/acpi/events that could cause unwanted behaviors with the backlight. For example, nvidia_backlight_down.sh, sony-brightness-down, etc.

6) Temporarily stop gnome-power-manager by going to System Monitor (Under System Settings in 11.04, under the System>Administration menu otherwise). Go to the Processes tab and select gnome-power-manager, then click on the End Process button. This should remove the battery/charging icon from the task bar (just for a minute!).

7) Replace the old gnome-power-backlight-helper with the new one by typing this into the terminal:
Code:
cd ~/gnome-power-manager/src
sudo rm /usr/sbin/gnome-power-backlight-helper
sudo cp gnome-power-backlight-helper /usr/sbin/gnome-power-backlight-helper
rm ~/gnome-power-manager (if you wish to delete the source files)
8) Restart Gnome Power Manager by going to System Settings (or the System>Preferences menu) and selecting Power Management. You can close the window as soon as you see the battery/charging icon re-appear in the task bar.

That should do it, test your brightness up/down hotkeys to see if they correctly adjust the backlight! Hopefully this works for all of you who have been just as frustrated about finding a real-deal solution as I have!
bhb192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 12:44 PM   #140
XjCook

@bhb192 your solution is very complicated
For me it's working this:
1) Download and install nvidiabl
2) Add to GRUB settings (GRUB1:/boot/grub/menu.lst GRUB2:/etc/default/grub) kernel parameter acpi_backlight=vendor
That's all :-)

GRUB2: after modification run sudo update-grub

Old 11-04-11, 12:23 PM   #141
piotrly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhb192 View Post
3) Open ~/gnome-power-manager/src/gpm-backlight-helper.c in a text editor. On line 63, replace "sony" with "nvidia_backlight", so that the section looks like this:
Is it working for Ubuntu 11.10? I've downloaded source code for Gnome Power Manager but I can't find file gpm-backlight-helper.c

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjCook View Post
1) Download and install nvidiabl
2) Add to GRUB settings (GRUB1:/boot/grub/menu.lst GRUB2:/etc/default/grub) kernel parameter acpi_backlight=vendor
It's not working for me
piotrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 03:33 AM   #142
XjCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrly View Post
It's not working for me
Sorry, it's working only for KDE4
Old 11-24-11, 11:17 AM   #143
TaylorT

Quote:
Okay you guys, I have some good news!

After fooling around with getting backlight controls to work on my Sony Vaio VPCCW17FX for a little over a year now...I've finally found the ideal solution.
I'm glad to see someone else with these Vaio's working on this problem! Thanks for the write up.

Quote:
4) Compile (but don't install!) the new gnome-power-manager by typing this into the terminal:
[WARNING] [b]This package has a lot of dependencies![b] It will tell you if you are missing something, but you may have to go through this multiple times before you get all of the dependency packages installed. If apt-get says it can't find one, remember to replace the version number with * or possibly add the asterisk onto the end of the package name.
Code:
cd ~/gnome-power-manager
./autogen.sh
make
It may be overkill but I find it much simpler to just do the following to get the proper dependencies installed.
(Add sudo to the begining if you aren't root):
Code:
 # apt-get build-dep gnome-power-manager
ps. For anyone doing this now, I had to checkout an older version of gnome-power-manager just to even get the file mentioned. For current Debian Testing, do git checkout GNOME_POWER_MANAGER_3_0_2.
TaylorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 01:08 PM   #144
lonestar_italy

hi

nvidia_bl v0.71 doesn't compile against kernel 3.2.0:

make -C /lib/modules/3.2.0/build M=/usr/src/nvidiabl/nvidiabl modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.2'
CC [M] /usr/src/nvidiabl/nvidiabl/nvidiabl-module.o
/usr/src/nvidiabl/nvidiabl/nvidiabl-module.c:37:3: warning: #warning USE_BACKLIGHT_SUSPEND
CC [M] /usr/src/nvidiabl/nvidiabl/nvidiabl-models.o
/usr/src/nvidiabl/nvidiabl/nvidiabl-models.c:214:41: error: expected ) before numeric constant
/usr/src/nvidiabl/nvidiabl/nvidiabl-models.c:215:25: error: expected ) before string constant
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/nvidiabl/nvidiabl/nvidiabl-models.o] Errore 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/nvidiabl/nvidiabl] Errore 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.2'
make: *** [modules] Errore 2

I think syntax of module_param_named and MODULE_PARM_DESC are changed, but I don't know because I'm not a programmer.
any patch available?
lonestar_italy is offline   Reply With Quote