Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-26-11, 04:14 PM   #13
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12
Default Re: Recommend a computer for Mom

why not get one of those shuttle mini systems and build with that. Small, yet can be as powerful as you need.
gigabyte z97x gaming gt mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, zotac gtx 970 4gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0,evga 1200p2 1200watt 80 plus platinum psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,lg 16x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, zalman zm-gm3 8200 dpi mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,adata 16gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech z906 5.1 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 04:44 PM   #14
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack12 View Post
why not get one of those shuttle mini systems and build with that. Small, yet can be as powerful as you need.
I'm against this only because of how much you'll pay for the case. For this type of build, a super cheap mid-ATX case will run $30-$40. Unless size is a priority, I would spend the money elsewhere at this budget.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 11:13 AM   #15
john19055

If she just uses it mainly for a browser then just get a motherboard that has the build in graphics and sound card .Then get a AMD athlon II for around $60 or a Intel Pentium E5700 Wolfdale 3.0GHz for around $65.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 11:06 PM   #16
Hogrider

Just got back from vacation and seeing my mom. She doesn't know crap about computers but she can control my sister's ipad easily. If I had the money I'd buy my mom an ipad.
Old 07-10-11, 07:05 AM   #17
XDanger
Whaaat?

Barns&Noble thing and do the thing on it ..you know... that thing
Old 07-10-11, 05:59 PM   #18
Rakeesh

I'd just stick to the basics. Get any CPU made within the last 3 years, and 4 gigs of ram, with a minimum 100 gig hard disk. If you do that, you can find something very cheap, and will definitely handle anything she will want to throw at it. Get an OEM copy of windows 7 and call it a day. You'll probably spend less than $300 on the whole thing.

If you go with anything fancy, you complicate things. Complicating things for people who aren't tech savvy leads to problems. I highly recommend against any kind of tablet, and anything apple, because the fact is, EVERYBODY knows how to operate a PC, so the people she can go to are virtually infinite.

Let's look at an example. Suppose she has a problem with her internet connection, and she needs to call her ISP to have them help her solve it, and you aren't available to help. They aren't going to help her troubleshoot an ipad, I'll tell you that much right now.

Let's say either you or her move, and the distance between you increases. You're going to be around a little less so you can't always help with her problem. Well a good neighbor of hers probably owns a PC and can help with that. He doesn't own a macintosh though; nobody does. And in spite of what apple claims, macintoshes don't "just work," they have their own share of problems, believe me.

Especially stay away from linux. Who is going to help her when say she tries to start firefox, and one day it just says "segmentation fault" and the problem is related to a faulty driver (a common problem in linux.) Good luck having her find out which one it is. And lets not forget the fact that her neighbors and her ISP probably don't know linux, so she'd have to always come to you for help.

Trust me on these things. I have to help people who know nothing about computers figure them out all of the time. You have no idea how complicated they think that, say for example, setting up a wireless connection can be. Hell, I regularly have to explain the difference between a web browser and a search engine to these kinds of people all the time, and even after doing so, they still don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post
Thanks for recommendations guys. Of course now she tells me she doesn't want a new computer, she just wants hers to go faster...

Nope, sorry, I'm not overclocking a dinky little Atom...
In that case, reformat the thing with a stock copy of windows. Do NOT use any kind of recovery disk or recovery partition. OEM's like to include a bunch of little crapplets that slow down computers because they get paid to do so. Reformatting with a stock copy of windows however eliminates that.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote