Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-19-11, 12:49 AM   #13
Lfctony

Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I don't want to customize anymore, I don't want to "tinker" and root and jailbreak. I just want my phone to work like it should, quickly and smoothly.
It works quickly and smoothly even if you do jailbreak, as long as you don't keep installing crap on it... Even if only to install SBSettings. The functionality the tweak offers should have been there from day one in the OS...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:28 AM   #14
Rakeesh

Quote:
Apple makes some fine hardware, so why not keep doing what you do best?
Technically Apple doesn't really make the hardware, foxconn and samsung do.

Quote:
As for the lawsuit, I think Apple can get a little overkill with this kind of stuff. But I'm sure that it won't affect either side that much in the end.
Yeah it will. I don't think apple actually believes they'll prevent HTC from importing phones. However they do believe they can put such a financial burden on HTC, that they buckle under legal pressure. It wouldn't be the first time apple has done this. It's a really dirty tactic but people out there think apple is this wonderful company that is full of marshmallow dreams and gumdrop smiles.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 03:24 AM   #15
Lfctony

Jailbreak Innovation: Jailbreakers first, then Apple follows...

http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/16/team-...reak-benefits/

Rakeesh. Apple is a company. Profit is their main concern. They use what they can to maximise it. Its as if they're the only ones... Nokia has sued everyone for God's sake. I don't see people hating them...

Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 04:15 AM   #16
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Jailbreak Innovation: Jailbreakers first, then Apple follows...

http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/16/team-...reak-benefits/

Rakeesh. Apple is a company. Profit is their main concern. They use what they can to maximise it. Its as if they're the only ones... Nokia has sued everyone for God's sake. I don't see people hating them...
I'm not trying to imply that they're the only ones, rather that apple fans tend to look at apple as this underdog company that gets picked on by the likes of say, microsoft, when in fact the opposite tends to be true.

BTW that pic is a bit inaccurate, I know that for example, HTC and Samsung both have countersued apple as a means of offensive security.

EDIT: lol, just realized from that article, that apple stole androids notification system in iOS 5.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 07:51 AM   #17
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
It works quickly and smoothly even if you do jailbreak, as long as you don't keep installing crap on it... Even if only to install SBSettings. The functionality the tweak offers should have been there from day one in the OS...
I don't have an iPhone (yet) so I can't say much on SBSettings. And yes, iOS is a very fast and smooth OS, actually the fastest and smoothest IMO.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 08:06 AM   #18
bacon12

Um I disagree, WM7>iOS.

Imagine how much better windows 7 would be if there were only a handful of computers available that MS had to optimize the os for.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 08:55 AM   #19
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Um I disagree, WM7>iOS.

Imagine how much better windows 7 would be if there were only a handful of computers available that MS had to optimize the os for.
WM7 = no 3rd party apps, no games. iOS has the best selection IMO.

I think limiting what hardware selection means you get a better OS, phone or computer. It would be better tweaked and optimized.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 09:59 AM   #20
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
You forgot the iPad and iPad2, but you also should include Android tablets too.

But you bring up a point I've always wondered about.

Why doesn't Apple ditch the hardware, and just sell the OS? They would make a killing, and possibly surpass MS. I think the hardware is holding back Apple.
1 reason: Stability.

By doing the hardware themselves they control stability. They don't have to worry about drivers, etc.

Old 07-19-11, 10:42 AM   #21
ViN86

Quote:
Apple makes some fine hardware, so why not keep doing what you do best? I think the iPhone 4 is the best looking/feeling phone I've ever used. Thin, light and has an awesome screen. Apple knows they make some of the world's best devices so why would they Not limit their OS on their hardware?

I currently have my beef with Android and I honestly think the whole platform is sloppy, not to mention the lack of apps. I've yet to use an Android device that is real smooth, it's always laggy in some form or fashion (laggy keyboard, laggy web browsing, etc). Also I hate that Google and other companies still support such a wide range of versions. Why? Why not standardize across the board? This might not matter to the enthusiast that roots, but what about the average joes? What about the people who just want a phone that works and operates smoothly?

This is the phone that I want to own and honestly, iPhone/iOS is the only phone that fits the bill. I don't want to customize anymore, I don't want to "tinker" and root and jailbreak. I just want my phone to work like it should, quickly and smoothly.

As for the lawsuit, I think Apple can get a little overkill with this kind of stuff. But I'm sure that it won't affect either side that much in the end.
That's fine. I have used both iOS and Android, and honestly iOS feels like it has kid gloves on when dealing with the user. I can't browse my files, I can't install 3rd party software. The devices are run like 1930's Germany. I personally don't want to sacrifice freedom for "smoothness", which is subjective. My Droid X is very smooth and I can actually do what I want to do with the device, instead of what the developer allows me to.

Deal breakers on iOS:
  • All apps MUST come from app store
  • Can't use a different keyboard (swype, swiftkey)
  • Not true multitasking
  • No widgets
  • Changing settings takes 10 menus (e.g. SBSettings is required)
  • No file management on the device (need iTunes)
  • iTunes (super bloat)
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 11:32 AM   #22
bacon12

Quote:
WM7 = no 3rd party apps, no games. iOS has the best selection IMO.

I think limiting what hardware selection means you get a better OS, phone or computer. It would be better tweaked and optimized.
I agree on everything but maybe games. Of course limiting hardware = better os optimization. But you don't have a choice of hardware. Unless you count more storage, a different color, or the pro version with a faster cpu and memory as a choice.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 11:38 AM   #23
ViN86

Quote:
I think limiting what hardware selection means you get a better OS, phone or computer
No offense, but that's complete bull****.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 12:47 PM   #24
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

I'm using a D1 right now and I like being able to do whatever I want on my device. For exampl,e a stock D1 gets about 12 hours battery life, but with what I've done, ig et around 2 days or so. thats only a small example.

ios is easy, sure. but controlled.

windows phone 7 sure has my attention. that HTC Trophy comes down in price a little i might jump on it.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote