Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-11, 01:06 PM   #25
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
That's fine. I have used both iOS and Android, and honestly iOS feels like it has kid gloves on when dealing with the user. I can't browse my files, I can't install 3rd party software. The devices are run like 1930's Germany. I personally don't want to sacrifice freedom for "smoothness", which is subjective. My Droid X is very smooth and I can actually do what I want to do with the device, instead of what the developer allows me to.
Fair enough. I know I've said it a thousand times, but I'm so over doing the "advanced/geeky" stuff on my phone. That to me equal to tinkering, which is something I don't want to do. I want to turn my phone on, have some stability, have it run smoothly and have a wide variety of apps/games. Done. Android doesn't offer this IMO.

Quote:
Deal breakers on iOS:
  • All apps MUST come from app store
  • Why is this a problem? Are there really that many apps outside the Android Market you have installed? Besides Swype, Firefox and a few small apps, all of my apps came from the Android Market; and all of those apps I mentioned are no longer installed, therefore I'm running strictly off of Market apps.

    Quote:
  • Can't use a different keyboard (swype, swiftkey)
  • Swype is in Cydia, but I think it's oveerrated. The standard keyboard is fine enough for me. Also, since I'm a fast typer, the iPhone keyboard doesn't lag like the Android keyboard does.

    Quote:
  • Not true multitasking
  • The multitasking on my iPad works just fine.

    Quote:
  • No widgets
  • Widgets are overrated too IMO, most of them are just a pretty hyperlink to the actual app itself. Some being Tapatalk, Market, Music, etc. I quit using them since they tend to slow down my phone UI.

    Quote:
  • Changing settings takes 10 menus (e.g. SBSettings is required)
  • I can see this being a problem and maybe worth jailbreaking. I don't have an iPhone yet so I can't really comment on this.

    Quote:
  • No file management on the device (need iTunes)
  • I don't do any real file management on my Android phone, don't see any need in it. On my iPad, all of my files are in Dropbox.

    Quote:
  • iTunes (super bloat)
  • iTunes is kind of a crappy program. I hated using it in Windows but it's a different scene on a Mac.

    My iPad decided to take a dump this morning and I had to restore from a backup. Backups on iTunes are pretty darn painless, just like Android. With iOS 5, it will make it that much better (cuttin the cords).
[/quote]
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:22 PM   #26
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
No offense, but that's complete bull****.
Haha.

I just see it this way: Apple obviously limits where their OS can go to certain pieces of hardware, less than 5 different kinds of devices. This way, the OS can be further optimized to that hardware and run even better. Same thing with OS X and it's a pretty darn polished OS.

Android on the other hand is the exact opposite, hence my comment about Android getting sloppy. Too many versions rolling around, no standardization.

I can run Gingerbread on my OG Droid all day but it doesn't run anywhere near as good and stable as Froyo. And trust me, I've done the tests (and the flashing - @zoomy).
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:40 PM   #27
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Fair enough. I know I've said it a thousand times, but I'm so over doing the "advanced/geeky" stuff on my phone. That to me equal to tinkering, which is something I don't want to do. I want to turn my phone on, have some stability, have it run smoothly and have a wide variety of apps/games. Done. Android doesn't offer this IMO.
Gingerbread has definitely been a step in the right direction. I mean also you have to realize that there are a lot of phones 2+ years old running the latest version of Android. It's natural to expect a slowdown. It's the same with Windows on older machines.

Quote:
Why is this a problem? Are there really that many apps outside the Android Market you have installed? Besides Swype, Firefox and a few small apps, all of my apps came from the Android Market; and all of those apps I mentioned are no longer installed, therefore I'm running strictly off of Market apps.
Mainly development. In order to develop apps and deploy them on your device on iOS you have to drop $100/year. On Android, you check a box that enables you to install 3rd party programs, then just move the apk file to your SD card and you can test it.

Quote:
Swype is in Cydia, but I think it's oveerrated. The standard keyboard is fine enough for me. Also, since I'm a fast typer, the iPhone keyboard doesn't lag like the Android keyboard does.
How old is the phone you're using? My Droid X keyboard doesn't lag. Plus I prefer Swiftkey because it has smart prediction. Most of my text messages take minimal key presses as it learns from my previous messages what words to expect.

Quote:
The multitasking on my iPad works just fine.
Not true multitasking though. It's just app switching.

Android does have a service feature, but it has pro's and con's.

Quote:
Widgets are overrated too IMO, most of them are just a pretty hyperlink to the actual app itself. Some being Tapatalk, Market, Music, etc. I quit using them since they tend to slow down my phone UI.
Actually I was referring to quick buttons. I can turn on/off WiFi, 3G, Airplane mode, Bluetooth, Screen brightness, Sync features, etc. with one click.

Quote:
I can see this being a problem and maybe worth jailbreaking. I don't have an iPhone yet so I can't really comment on this.
See above. I use SBSettings on my iPod Touch. Turning WiFi on/off without it is a pain in the ass.

Quote:
I don't do any real file management on my Android phone, don't see any need in it. On my iPad, all of my files are in Dropbox.
I have Dropbox on my Droid X as well. But I also just drag and drop photos, videos, and music onto my SD card, along with any PDF's I may need and they are at my disposal. Plus I can download files from the Internet and save them to my SD card and transfer them to my PC later.

Quote:
iTunes is kind of a crappy program. I hated using it in Windows but it's a different scene on a Mac.

My iPad decided to take a dump this morning and I had to restore from a backup. Backups on iTunes are pretty darn painless, just like Android. With iOS 5, it will make it that much better (cuttin the cords).
Backups on Android are even more painless with Bootstrap Recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Haha.

I just see it this way: Apple obviously limits where their OS can go to certain pieces of hardware, less than 5 different kinds of devices. This way, the OS can be further optimized to that hardware and run even better. Same thing with OS X and it's a pretty darn polished OS.

Android on the other hand is the exact opposite, hence my comment about Android getting sloppy. Too many versions rolling around, no standardization.

I can run Gingerbread on my OG Droid all day but it doesn't run anywhere near as good and stable as Froyo. And trust me, I've done the tests (and the flashing - @zoomy).
I know what you mean, but none of us would be on these forums if we were content with the company telling us what hardware we can and can't use. That's the main reason why I run a hackintosh (although I haven't run it in a while, honestly I got bored with the OS, and there are too many programs on Windows I can't do without and their Mac counterparts are **** lol). And honestly, I believe it's the main reason Apple will never overtake MS.

I'm sorry for such a long post.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 05:45 PM   #28
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

iOS5 is very nice. Makes backups and restores NICE. I turn on the device, click the date of the backup I want and it boots it and I go.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 07:17 PM   #29
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default

I would like to add that the retina display is by far the nicest mobile screen I have seen. My iPod touch doesn't even have the IPS version and the resolution is amazing.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 09:23 PM   #30
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Apple makes some fine hardware, so why not keep doing what you do best? I think the iPhone 4 is the best looking/feeling phone I've ever used. Thin, light and has an awesome screen. Apple knows they make some of the world's best devices so why would they Not limit their OS on their hardware?

I currently have my beef with Android and I honestly think the whole platform is sloppy, not to mention the lack of apps. I've yet to use an Android device that is real smooth, it's always laggy in some form or fashion (laggy keyboard, laggy web browsing, etc). Also I hate that Google and other companies still support such a wide range of versions. Why? Why not standardize across the board? This might not matter to the enthusiast that roots, but what about the average joes? What about the people who just want a phone that works and operates smoothly?

This is the phone that I want to own and honestly, iPhone/iOS is the only phone that fits the bill. I don't want to customize anymore, I don't want to "tinker" and root and jailbreak. I just want my phone to work like it should, quickly and smoothly.

As for the lawsuit, I think Apple can get a little overkill with this kind of stuff. But I'm sure that it won't affect either side that much in the end.
I should have clarified that I meant on the PC side. Would you rather sell 100,000 iMacs a year, or sell 100,000,000 copies of OSX? If they sold OSX to the general public for any machine, I would be running it now. I do not want to buy a certain mobo, with only certain ram, with Apple approved video card, and a certain brand (or size) hard drive to make a clone.

As for your Android problems...that's why it's a problem, you keep tinkering with it. Mine is stock on my EVO and I never have a problem with it. If it does stutter, it's my fault. If I want to zoom down a list of 100 pictures or so, as fast as my thumb can fling it, WHILE it's still loading, it might stutter, but it catches up instantly. If I let it finish loading it never does that.
__________________
They're after me Lucky Charms!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 07:12 AM   #31
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I should have clarified that I meant on the PC side. Would you rather sell 100,000 iMacs a year, or sell 100,000,000 copies of OSX? If they sold OSX to the general public for any machine, I would be running it now. I do not want to buy a certain mobo, with only certain ram, with Apple approved video card, and a certain brand (or size) hard drive to make a clone.
I got what you were saying and I agree, they would make a killing on sales. However, it goes back to the "limited hardware/more optimized OS" model that they would have to scrap. I didn't mind one bit paying the so called "Apple tax" for my Macbook Pro (same thing for my wife's MBP) because I got a killer looking machine, amazing keyboard and trackpad and a great OS with great software. I think it's worth every penny to have this and to have OS X optimized to this set of hardware. Works beautifully. Start putting OS X on just any machine/PC and you start running into problems. I tried to run a Hackintosh many times but there was always something broken: sound, wifi, etc. Just not worth it to me. Fortunately some others have been pretty lucky around here with their Hackinstosh. Kudos.


Quote:
As for your Android problems...that's why it's a problem, you keep tinkering with it. Mine is stock on my EVO and I never have a problem with it. If it does stutter, it's my fault. If I want to zoom down a list of 100 pictures or so, as fast as my thumb can fling it, WHILE it's still loading, it might stutter, but it catches up instantly. If I let it finish loading it never does that.
The only reason I rooted my OG Droid is because when Froyo first came out, it slowed my phone down SO BAD. It basically made my phone a paperweight. I rooted, had some custom ROMs going for a while, but I've recently started noticing that I'm getting sick and tired of flashing ROMs and kernels ALL the time. Once I stuck with a GPA of Froyo, things got more stable for me.

But this goes back to my point: my OG Droid stock with Froyo is a disaster. It should work right out of the box without me having to root it.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 08:52 AM   #32
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I got what you were saying and I agree, they would make a killing on sales. However, it goes back to the "limited hardware/more optimized OS" model that they would have to scrap. I didn't mind one bit paying the so called "Apple tax" for my Macbook Pro (same thing for my wife's MBP) because I got a killer looking machine, amazing keyboard and trackpad and a great OS with great software. I think it's worth every penny to have this and to have OS X optimized to this set of hardware. Works beautifully. Start putting OS X on just any machine/PC and you start running into problems. I tried to run a Hackintosh many times but there was always something broken: sound, wifi, etc. Just not worth it to me. Fortunately some others have been pretty lucky around here with their Hackinstosh. Kudos.
If Apple would concentrate on software instead of hardware, they would probably get more software developers to talk to them and get more games/apps that would be on par with PC games, imo.




Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
The only reason I rooted my OG Droid is because when Froyo first came out, it slowed my phone down SO BAD. It basically made my phone a paperweight. I rooted, had some custom ROMs going for a while, but I've recently started noticing that I'm getting sick and tired of flashing ROMs and kernels ALL the time. Once I stuck with a GPA of Froyo, things got more stable for me.
My android phone is rooted, and I've never had a problem with it. I run custom ROM's on my phone, and I like the fact that I can control the amount of bloatware that I want on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
But this goes back to my point: my OG Droid stock with Froyo is a disaster. It should work right out of the box without me having to root it.
Different tastes for different folks. I love being able to customize a phone. I love tinkering with my phone until it's just the way I want it. Some people would rather have the phone ran at stock and leave it like that.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-11, 09:05 AM   #33
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
If Apple would concentrate on software instead of hardware, they would probably get more software developers to talk to them and get more games/apps that would be on par with PC games, imo.
That's probably true.

Quote:
Different tastes for different folks. I love being able to customize a phone. I love tinkering with my phone until it's just the way I want it. Some people would rather have the phone ran at stock and leave it like that.
After being in IT for 3.5 years, I'm pretty burnt out TBH. I'm tired of tinkering and thus breaking stuff. It's just more I have to fix. I'm glad I can come home to my Macs and have 0 problems. I know that I might be considered a Mac fanboi around here but one fact is true: I come home to a problem free home every night. I've actually been doing that for a few months now and it's wonderful. I want to leave my computer problems behind at work, not take them home with me.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 09:18 AM   #34
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
That's probably true.



After being in IT for 3.5 years, I'm pretty burnt out TBH. I'm tired of tinkering and thus breaking stuff. It's just more I have to fix. I'm glad I can come home to my Macs and have 0 problems. I know that I might be considered a Mac fanboi around here but one fact is true: I come home to a problem free home every night. I've actually been doing that for a few months now and it's wonderful. I want to leave my computer problems behind at work, not take them home with me.
There's nothing wrong with being a fanboi.
To be honest, unless my kids mess with one of my pc's, I don't come home to a problem, either. As for my phone/tables, the only problems I come across are with different ROM's that not stable. I never have a problem out of an app/game that I want to play. My computers do what I want them to do, and they get jiggy with it.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 09:24 AM   #35
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
The only reason I rooted my OG Droid is because when Froyo first came out, it slowed my phone down SO BAD. It basically made my phone a paperweight. I rooted, had some custom ROMs going for a while, but I've recently started noticing that I'm getting sick and tired of flashing ROMs and kernels ALL the time. Once I stuck with a GPA of Froyo, things got more stable for me.

But this goes back to my point: my OG Droid stock with Froyo is a disaster. It should work right out of the box without me having to root it.
If Froyo did that, then it's not Android that's the problem, your phone is too slow. Would you blame MS for releasing a new Windows version that runs slowly on old computers?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 09:34 AM   #36
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
If Froyo did that, then it's not Android that's the problem, your phone is too slow. Would you blame MS for releasing a new Windows version that runs slowly on old computers?
Phone isn't that old or slow, it was the crappy release Verizon has for 2.2. I'm currently running a GPA stock version of Froyo right now and it's running pretty good.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.