Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-11, 01:25 PM   #49
shadow001

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Actually all that will happen with SNB-E already.

According the the latest rumor I posted today, the CPUs will have two x16 PCIe 3.0 that can be used for the graphics cards. So 4 slots with x8 each are possible and that would equal PCIe 2.x x16 bandwidth all without those NF200s. That is of course if the Marketing morons don't get in the way in case they want to still sell the "x16" over the "x8" wording

And the CPUs and the chipset will have enough remaining, some even dedicated, PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 2.x lanes to support additional storage and interface solutions.

Also the SNB-E DP and MP Xeons will be available in 8 Core/16 Thread versions right from the start. Just the desktop versions will only be 6 Cores. No info on Xeon UP yet.

So if a typical workstation board manufacturer like Tyan or Super Micro would suddenly decide to license their board/BIOS for SLI, the SR-3 would almost be on the market already. But with much better reliabilty of course. OC would not be possible but the Turbo would take over which is ok for that target group. And it would fit in an industry standard form factor.
That alone shows that something like the SR-2 is nothing special. But the company behind it needs to have the guts to do it.

If i'm reading this picture right, the PCI-e 3.0 controler is built into the patsburg chipset, not inside the CPU core itself, wich i was under the impression that would be reserved for Ivy bridge chips?....

As for my board, with the use of a pair of NF 200 bridge chips, it adds another 32 PCI-e lanes to the 40 that come with the chipset....72 lanes in total...

I told you this board is nuts....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 01:30 PM   #50
shadow001

Quote:
Like I said before, the SR-2 is a great budget choice because it's possible to overclock the cheaper Xeons instead of getting the higher clocked models.

If a company wants this much CPU power but doesn't need reliability and doesn't want to spend too much money, the SR-2 is a good option.

That's not possible when choosing its competing products like boards from Tyan or Super Micro or also workstation systems from Apple, HP or Dell for example.

Overclocking makes this board different from other dual socket boards and therefore also changes it's target group. But if someone still wants to use it as a conventional dual socket board, it becomes a great budget solution.

Keep in mind that the cheapest 6 core/12 thread Xeons(X5650's) are still 1100$ a pop, so that's 2200$ for the CPU's alone, wich is what i'm using right now....Budget is a relative word here, and makes the extreme series of CPU's for single socket boards like the 980x or the 990x look affordable by comparison....

The fastest chips this board supports are the X5690's, wich retail for 1700$ each, so that's 3400$ for a pair...1200$ more and would allow overclocks up to 4.5 Ghz, rather than settle for the 4 Ghz i'm able to hit reliably...
Old 05-01-11, 01:48 PM   #51
shadow001

Quote:
That's what I mean. If you can't overclock, like on normal dual socket boards, you have to invest a lot more for the CPUs. So for a company that wants to save a bit cash, the SR-2 is a nice budget option.

btw, I'm not sure where you're shopping but all the prices you mentioned seemed a bit high. Even in Switzerland, where hardware prices are always higher than in the US, that stuff is cheaper

True, at the company level, the money involved is a relative thing, but this is my own personal system for my own personal use, so 1200$ for another 500Mhz overclock isn't exactly a great deal here...

I might still pick up a pair of X5690's once they get a lot cheaper after socket 2011 systems are released for that little extra kick, but not at their current prices.....2200$ of my own personal money for a pair of CPU's is plenty, thank you very much...
Old 05-01-11, 01:52 PM   #52
shadow001

Quote:
Read the text as well
Intel supports PCIe lanes from CPU for a while with the mainstream CPUs. That will finally cary over to the workstation world as well. So there are PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU for the expansion slots but also as a dedicated connection to the chipset. The chipset then also provides more lanes.

NF200 doesn't add lanes, it's more like a PCIe switch. It works but it also adds latency.

I see, but that only applies to the storage then or devices using narrower busses.....I'd be interested if the CPU talked to the video cards directly, meaning all 32 lanes, wich ivy bridge will have that feature built into the CPU core...

True, the NF200 is a switch ,and it's also used as the switch inside the GTX590 cards between both GPU's, but hey, it works and that's what matters in the end...
Old 05-01-11, 02:02 PM   #53
shadow001

Quote:
I'm sure you did the right thing. Apparently you need so many threads so your software won't be heavily benefitting from a few MHz more.
I went the other way around for my Mac Pro. I can use the higher frequency quite a bit better so I did get the 3.33GHz 6 Core model over the 2.66GHz 12 Core system. The Dual 3.33GHz Six Core would be overkill. There is no overclocking because these are traditional workstations and not benchmark workstations

I was actually surprised when i ran 3Dmark 11 and scored the same physics results and combined rendering tests that takes a 980x running at 6.2 Ghz using liquid nitrogen to acheive...LOL

So at least those tests make use of all 24 threads(perhaps even more), as i'd never be able to match that score when my CPU's are running 2.2 Ghz slower than his 980x...And yes, he had hyperthreading enabled...
Old 05-01-11, 02:11 PM   #54
shadow001

Quote:
Well I sure hope you use it for more useful tasks beside crappy 3D Mark lol

Of course, it was just an unexpected bonus(if we can call it that)....

Though if the graphics engine/ physics in 3Dmark 11 gets uses in an actual game, at least it offers a glimpse that developers may already be starting to seriously look beyond 4 core processors for future games...
Old 05-01-11, 02:54 PM   #55
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolbourn View Post
I do for my sound card
Me too, I have a high end sound card, and don't see me replacing it any time soon.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 06:47 AM   #56
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Someone made a good point recently that with software demands not advancing as fast as they once were, there's reluctance to push boundaries like they use to.

The fact that Windows 8 will run on a machine spec'd for "old" Vista pretty much sums it up. Two OS' back on the same hardware, quite strange.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-11, 07:08 AM   #57
walterman
Rayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
Someone made a good point recently that with software demands not advancing as fast as they once were, there's reluctance to push boundaries like they use to.

The fact that Windows 8 will run on a machine spec'd for "old" Vista pretty much sums it up. Two OS' back on the same hardware, quite strange.
Each version of a new OS should run 'better' than the previous version, and not being a resource hog like we have seen in the past.
ASUS Rampage Formula X48 | Xeon 3350 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8/1.26v) | 4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 @ 900 MHz 3-4-4-15 | 1 x eVGA GTX 285 SSC | 1 x ASUS EN8800GTX (PhysX/CUDA -> Burnt by nVidia 196.75 driver) | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe | 1 x Intel X25-M G2 80GB | 2 x 750GB WD RE2 7500AYYS SATA2 16MB | Samsung SH-B083L SATA | Enermax Revolution 1250W | Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" 1920x1200 | Thermaltake Black Armor | BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch
walterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 07:42 AM   #58
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12

the one thing you have to keep in mind is board makers like asrock and msi have already begun future proofing their snb boards with pci-e 3.0 for ivy bridge. I know asrock is doing it with a plx pci-e chip, not sure how msi is doing it. But don't you think that it would somehow give intel the hint that pci 3.0 is necessary even though they can't test with hardware yet? Otherwise, asrock and msi are about to lose a lot of money from their pci-e 3.0 boards if they fail when 3.0 hardware comes out.

Quote:
New and very confusing rumors:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-mi...ear/12991.html

This downgrade might be ok for most.
But the confusing part starts with the CPU PCIe 3.0 lanes for the expansion slots. Some sites are reporting a downgrade to PCIe 2.0 as well, other side are saying that those are not affected. Such a downgrade would be horrible for the platform with such a long lifecycle.

We have to wait and see. Not sure if a downgraded but fast to market version is a smart choice for customers. Ok the motherboards are cheap but still...

There is probably one positive thing to all of this. With so many changes and different directions, we might see a 8 Core Extreme Edition after all
gigabyte g1.sniper 5 mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790k 4.0 ghz quad core cpu, asus gtx 780 3gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0 (intel raid),antec hcg-850 850 watt 80 plus bronze psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,pioneer bdr-208 15x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, logitech g502 mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech s120 2.0 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 10:47 AM   #59
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterman View Post
Each version of a new OS should run 'better' than the previous version, and not being a resource hog like we have seen in the past.
The only problem is that isn't even close to reality because every OS uses more resources over time. I could probably boot into DOS 6.22 on my I7 in about 3/4 of a second and it would consume less than 1MB of ram. The main thing is that with each iteration more features are added and the code becomes more complex.

If there were a feature freeze and each release was to optimize the exisiting code, I could definitely see that happen. That's kind of what Windows 7 is in relation to Vista. It will be interesting to see what Windows 8 does bring in comparison. They will have to slim some of the processes and try to optimize as much as possible to get into smaller hardware. I have 16 tabs open in IE consuming 760MB of ram. That wouldn't even be possible on most tablets today.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 04:00 PM   #60
shadow001

It's always an improvement i guess, but if that's the average for SNB-E over the 990X, Then my current setup has absolutely nothing to worry about( 12 cores at 4 Ghz FTW...)

EVGA built a monster motherboard with the twin socket 1366 pin SR-2 that also overclocks like a demon, so wake me up when there's a setup that can beat this by at least 50% in real world benchmarks(preferrably more)....