Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-25-11, 07:24 AM   #37
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

^

I can't wait until SSDs are a lot more affordable. Can't wait to get a 512GB in my MBP for ~100$.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 07:44 AM   #38
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
^

I can't wait until SSDs are a lot more affordable. Can't wait to get a 512GB in my MBP for ~100$.
DIS R WINDOZE THRED.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 08:45 AM   #39
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

and 512GB SSD for 100, will not happen anytime soon.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 08:51 AM   #40
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I used Vista from beta and Windows 7 from beta all on the same hardware and 7 is easier to use and feel faster all over. Now having moved to SSD I can't go back. Vista lacks 7s SSD feature set. Often it's the small things that can make an upgrade worth it.
I used Vista from beta, but not 7. I'll be keeping my technet sub. up to date though and will be running 8 beta soon as it's released.

On an SSD.
Old 07-25-11, 09:18 AM   #41
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
DIS R WINDOZE THRED.
OH NOESs111!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
and 512GB SSD for 100, will not happen anytime soon.
Sadly, it won't be anytime soon.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 10:25 AM   #42
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I used Vista from beta, but not 7. I'll be keeping my technet sub. up to date though and will be running 8 beta soon as it's released.

On an SSD.
still have not seen anything that "impressed" me about 8. I like the Arm support, but the whole metro UI tile crap
Old 07-25-11, 10:25 AM   #43
Redeemed

Quote:

On an SSD.
We get the beta on our technet subscription? Seriously? So glad I kept mine. Had no idea about that.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 11:36 AM   #44
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
still have not seen anything that "impressed" me about 8. I like the Arm support, but the whole metro UI tile crap
I'm hoping for more under the hood changes, better transfer speeds etc. Far as the UI goes I think I remember reading that's only one option. I just want a clean, fast desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
We get the beta on our technet subscription? Seriously? So glad I kept mine. Had no idea about that.
Aren't they all made available before release? I never paid attention with 7, but it if it isn't then no harm, I'll just dl on release like every other subscriber.

Old 07-25-11, 12:15 PM   #45
Redeemed

Quote:
I'm hoping for more under the hood changes, better transfer speeds etc. Far as the UI goes I think I remember reading that's only one option. I just want a clean, fast desktop.

Aren't they all made available before release? I never paid attention with 7, but it if it isn't then no harm, I'll just dl on release like every other subscriber.
I've not had my technet for much more than a year, so I don't know. It'd be nice to see the beta, if not then like you said no worries. I'll just DL the complete Ultimate version.

So far not very excited about this one though. It seems that, thus far, most changes are for mobile products making it an exceptional OS for those, but with little changes for the desktop environment. Could be wrong, still plenty of time for MS to announce some impressive changes. Personally, I really loved "DreamScenes" from Vista Ultimate and think it'd be great to have the return as a feature of 7 Ultimate. Not only that, a more vigorous approach for supporting Gaming and Game organization. The "Games" folder on the start menu is awesome, but it can be improved much more. Lot's of potential for improvement, just no mention on MS capitalizing on that yet.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 12:39 PM   #46
Bearclaw

No plans on updating at all unless they announce something really worthwhile. 7 suits me fine.
Old 07-25-11, 02:55 PM   #47
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
yes, few days before public release, and they wonly release the public versions, not all inbetween versions.
Old 07-25-11, 03:04 PM   #48
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
yes, few days before public release, and they wonly release the public versions, not all inbetween versions.
Yep that's what I was thinking of - I know I'll run it on a secondary rig anyway so i'm not really worried, but the improvement from Vista (which I didn't have much trouble with at all) to 7 was so nice, I'm hoping for another leap.

Then again it is MS we're talking about.