Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-10, 04:40 PM   #13
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation
 
AaronP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,487
Default Re: Can't I run 2 X servers on the one card

It's much more than just "grabbing video outputs"... the whole driver would need a lot of careful planning to be able to have multiple instances work reliably together, and it would require a lot of work to make it an officially supported feature. The fact that it's even allowing you to do it at all sounds like a bug.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 12:57 PM   #14
mpaganini
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6
Default Re: Can't I run 2 X servers on the one card

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
It's much more than just "grabbing video outputs"... the whole driver would need a lot of careful planning to be able to have multiple instances work reliably together, and it would require a lot of work to make it an officially supported feature. The fact that it's even allowing you to do it at all sounds like a bug.
Well, that's a bit sad really. Most modern Linux distributions provide a "switch user" option that fires up another X server. This is very useful when a single computer is used by more than one person (I'd say a very common situation).

How are people dealing with this problem? In previous versions of the driver, everything worked fine, but the latest one is crashing two of my computers at home. I'd say not being able to have more than one person use the computer is a negative selling point for nVidia.
mpaganini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 04:08 PM   #15
artem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 704
Default Re: Can't I run 2 X servers on the one card

What Aaron just says is that NVIDIA doesn't currently officially supports multiseat (NVIDIA GPU driving different video outputs).

Running two X servers which share the same configuration and the same output has been always possible (in fact I'm running such a configuration without any problems - switching between users using Ctrl + Alt + F7/F8 buttons).

I suppose nouveau developers will make multiseat possible (if it's not available already).
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 10:17 PM   #16
mpaganini
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6
Default Re: Can't I run 2 X servers on the one card

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
What Aaron just says is that NVIDIA doesn't currently officially supports multiseat (NVIDIA GPU driving different video outputs).

Running two X servers which share the same configuration and the same output has been always possible (in fact I'm running such a configuration without any problems - switching between users using Ctrl + Alt + F7/F8 buttons).

I suppose nouveau developers will make multiseat possible (if it's not available already).
Hello,

That's a relief to hear.

However, it brings back my original problem: Exiting any of the X servers while any of the other X servers (or itself) is in the foreground crashes the machine entirely. This was not the case with older versions of the driver. "nvidia-173" (ubuntu parlance) exhibits this problem. This happens with different video cards even. I tried submitting a debug dump, but there seems to be no interest in this. I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem.

-- MP
mpaganini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 03:37 PM   #17
Tatui
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: Can't I run 2 X servers on the one card

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauos View Post
Not entirely true.

(...)

The trick it seems is to start both X servers as close in time as possible to one another.

(...)

To make it easier on myself, I have written two simple bash scripts that wait until the other script is running before they start the X servers. This ensures both start very close together.
Hi,

Is it possible to share that two simple script? I have been started to run a setup like this and got some trouble http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg01712.html

I think that the trick is like yours.

Thank you very much!

Marcelo
Tatui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 11:10 AM   #18
AireTamStrm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 49
Default Re: Can't I run 2 X servers on the one card

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
What Aaron just says is that NVIDIA doesn't currently officially supports multiseat (NVIDIA GPU driving different video outputs).
To clarify, multiseat on -one card-. I've run multiseat on my workstation before (2+cards) playing all sorts of WINE and Linux games against someone else running on the other seat. It works perfectly. The problem the OP is running into, is that you cannot reasonably divide a card up to do two things at once that are unaware of eachother. This requires very complex driver support, and there are few use cases for such a solution.

If you're looking for massive multiseat, look elsewhere. Matrox makes cards supporting MANY seats and you can get alot of users on one beefy workstation that way.
AireTamStrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 11:27 AM   #19
Tatui
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: Can't I run 2 X servers on the one card

Quote:
Originally Posted by AireTamStrm View Post
If you're looking for massive multiseat...
No. I only need two head in one card. One head in VGA and another head in DVI (with VGA adapter).

I asked kauos about their two scripts. Now, I ask again:

Quote:
The trick it seems is to start both X servers as close in time as possible to one another.

(...)

To make it easier on myself, I have written two simple bash scripts that wait until the other script is running before they start the X servers. This ensures both start very close together.
Is it possible to share this two scripts?

Thank you very much!
Tatui is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.