Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-27-11, 01:49 PM   #85
shadow001

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I have fans on my video cards?

I see you finally went to water cooling on your video cards from the last picture you posted, though the cardboard at the top looks cheasy to be honest....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 02:09 PM   #86
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
And now he speaks about the potential of 8 cores on that new release and how great it'll be when 4 cores are used in gaming scenarios.....Seriously pathetic.
First off, I never said anything to that effect (bold), don't put words in my mouth, jerk. When did I talk about the potential of anything? I said it would be good if there was an 8 core processor and that's all I said.

I'll tell you what's pathetic, your reading comprehension skills.

Now, moving on, I never made any argument about cores, you did, you unmitigated buffoon.

I merely stated that nobody develops games for dual CPU setups. I only ever countered your schizophrenic assertion that your 12 cores are good (or will be at some point) while anyone who buys a 6 core is making a bad decision.

Don't project your puerile and ill contrived arguments onto me please.

Unlike you, I actually use my machine(s) for more than gaming and showing off to the random internet populace.

Again, stop posting in this thread about an unrelated topic (AKA your toy benchmarking box).

Tx in advance Shadduh
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 02:18 PM   #87
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
I see you finally went to water cooling on your video cards from the last picture you posted, though the cardboard at the top looks cheasy to be honest....
Rather have some cardboard for a temp solution than having the radiator suck in hot air off the other one... Kind of like how stacked radiators work, you know? Or I mean... Don't work. rofl.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 02:19 PM   #88
Slytat

Quote:
Rather have some cardboard for a temp solution than having the radiator suck in hot air off the other one... Kind of like how stacked radiators work, you know? Or I mean... Don't work. rofl.
ROFL - priceless!
Old 07-27-11, 02:44 PM   #89
shadow001

Quote:

Well it does work just fine and looks far better in the process....

I will love to see your final solution though.....Being functional and still looking good is harder than it looks....
Old 07-27-11, 02:47 PM   #90
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Well it does work just fine and looks far better in the process....

I will love to see your final solution though.....Being functional and still looking good is harder than it looks....
If you read my post in the thread you would see I already had a nice aluminum shroud, but I added 3 more fans to the radiator which made the shroud no longer fit... So I have to remake it.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 07:19 AM   #91
AdamK47

I've had my 980X since April of last year. Even at $1000 it has been one of the best CPU buying choices I've made in the 15+ years I've been building my own PC. This CPU and an X58 board is still one of the best platforms for a 3-Way SLI system. The three GTX 580s I have now run great with it.

I'm really looking forward to getting a 3960X and an X79 motherboard when it's released in November.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 10:47 AM   #92
Slytat

Ditto bud. I'm glad they are going to get it out the door this year as well

Old 08-02-11, 11:12 AM   #93
Slytat

The EVGA 3GB are solid cards and I stayed away from Pailt and Gainward because I wasn't a fan of their cooling.

I noticed also that when my old 1.5GB cards hit the memory limit, they would heat up alot. This doesn't happen with the 3GB cards and since they are essentially exactly the same cards, I can't help but think that the heat had something to do with the bottleneck.

As with yourself, Intel chipsets play a huge role in my decision to stick with Intel.

Here's hoping Kepler shows up sooner rather than later as well (although that appears to be up in the air at present).
Old 08-02-11, 11:26 AM   #94
Slytat

Yep, I remember you saying that at the time. I tend to stick with EVGA so I waited as I had not made the jump to 2560 at that point anyway
Old 08-03-11, 03:21 PM   #95
shadow001

Seems that the sandy bridge E chips are running into difficulties with the built in PCI-e 3.0 controler according to some sites, wich may cause delays with it's introduction....Just a rumor,but could be real:

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/08/02/i...to-slip-again/

It kinds makes sense since it seems bulldozer is no threat to the current higher end 6 core processors in performance terms, so there's no reason to rush the sandy bridge-E to the market, especially if there's still issues with the PCI-e 3.0 feature, but then again, it makes it tempting for intel to skip sandy bridge-E's and go straight to 8 core,22 nm ivy bridges....
Old 11-18-11, 03:42 PM   #96
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

so would the x79 / 3930k and 16 gigs of DDR3 2133 be a noticeable upgrade from my current setup in my sig?

Just wondering if it's worth forking over a grand for it.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote