Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-11, 12:50 PM   #1
MustangSVTCobra

Default Issue with D-Link Router masking external IP

Hello there. I currently use a D-Link DIR-655 router on a game server I run and I've been having this problem for sometime now. I have the router hooked up to the internet modem, and then my server computer hooked up to the router's first port. I use port forwarding to forward the game ports, as well as my FTP server ports. I have about 80 clients or so logged in at a time on my server.

The issue is the following. Our internet connection has an external IP of 67.23.155.123 (this is just an example). My internal IP is 192.168.0.101.

When I do "netstat" to see all the clients logged in to the game server on this computer or when I run Wireshark, every client logged in to the server (for this game application) is shown as having an IP of 67.23.155.123 (the server's external IP).

On the other hand, for our FileZilla FTP server, if I run Wireshark/netstat, I can actually see the client's external IP (i.e. each individual IP of people logged into the FTP).

If I hook up the server directly to the internet modem, this isn't a problem, and I am able to correctly see the IP of each client logged in to the game server individually.

I figure I must be doing something wrong (maybe) or that something else is happening here. My guess right now is that the router is somehow doing optimization or something like that -because- there's so many (approx. 80) clients logged into the game server, whereas the FTP server generally has 10 logged in at a time at most.

I desperately need this fixed because I really need to be able to see everyone's individual IP that logs in, and without that information, it poses a lot of problems for me and my server. I appreciate any help and I thank you in advance for reading this.

EDIT: I should mention that when power goes down and router restarts, I can see each client's IP for my game application fine for the first few hours, but then it switches to the server's IP (i.e. everyone's IP becomes 67.23.155.123). My guess is that this is building a routing table or something that causes this issue. Anyone else ever experienced this?
MustangSVTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 01:25 PM   #2
Runningman

Default Re: Issue with D-Link Router masking external IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVTCobra View Post
Hello there. I currently use a D-Link DIR-655 router on a game server I run and I've been having this problem for sometime now. I have the router hooked up to the internet modem, and then my server computer hooked up to the router's first port. I use port forwarding to forward the game ports, as well as my FTP server ports. I have about 80 clients or so logged in at a time on my server.

The issue is the following. Our internet connection has an external IP of 67.23.155.123 (this is just an example). My internal IP is 192.168.0.101.

When I do "netstat" to see all the clients logged in to the game server on this computer or when I run Wireshark, every client logged in to the server (for this game application) is shown as having an IP of 67.23.155.123 (the server's external IP).

On the other hand, for our FileZilla FTP server, if I run Wireshark/netstat, I can actually see the client's external IP (i.e. each individual IP of people logged into the FTP).

If I hook up the server directly to the internet modem, this isn't a problem, and I am able to correctly see the IP of each client logged in to the game server individually.

I figure I must be doing something wrong (maybe) or that something else is happening here. My guess right now is that the router is somehow doing optimization or something like that -because- there's so many (approx. 80) clients logged into the game server, whereas the FTP server generally has 10 logged in at a time at most.

I desperately need this fixed because I really need to be able to see everyone's individual IP that logs in, and without that information, it poses a lot of problems for me and my server. I appreciate any help and I thank you in advance for reading this.

EDIT: I should mention that when power goes down and router restarts, I can see each client's IP for my game application fine for the first few hours, but then it switches to the server's IP (i.e. everyone's IP becomes 67.23.155.123). My guess is that this is building a routing table or something that causes this issue. Anyone else ever experienced this?
Are you doing a netstat /ano ? and making sure that those connections are associated with the game server process ?
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 01:43 PM   #3
MustangSVTCobra

Default Re: Issue with D-Link Router masking external IP

When I used Wireshark, they showed up under the game server process.
MustangSVTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote