Using pc software and hd capture card.

http://ptbi.metaclassofnil.com/

Pretty cool stuff
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 02:52 AM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Nvidia FXAA in console games using capture card

Wow, cool. The cards reasonably priced too. I might have to try this out. My release 360 needs a boost.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 12:41 PM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Wow, cool. The cards reasonably priced too. I might have to try this out. My release 360 needs a boost.
$200 for the capture card... wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just buy the game for your PC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 02:14 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
$200 for the capture card... wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just buy the game for your PC??
If you can find me a place where I can buy Uncharted or God of War 3 for PC then sure!
Old 07-31-11, 03:32 AM   #5
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
If you can find me a place where I can buy Uncharted or God of War 3 for PC then sure!
Didn't both Uncharted 2 and GoW3 use some kind of msaa?
anyways
If it's working good then i really don't mind paying for such a capture card. I got my consoles connected to my 24" computer display so i dont sit very far away from it, the aliasing is rather annoying in most console games.
Old 07-31-11, 05:13 AM   #6
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

Let me get this - with this software, I can use my pc gpu to give a boost to my ps360 through a capture card?
Old 07-31-11, 07:30 AM   #7
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
Didn't both Uncharted 2 and GoW3 use some kind of msaa?
anyways.
U2 2xMSAA and GoW3 MLAA.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 11:00 AM   #8
EciDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3avyM3tal View Post
Let me get this - with this software, I can use my pc gpu to give a boost to my ps360 through a capture card?
Yes sir
FXAA is a post process AA filter designed primarily to reduce aliasing in differed rendering engines where msaa isn't compatible.

Having used it a lot in Age of Conan I think its pretty darn nice filter with a very small performance hit (less then 2x msaa) while still looking pretty good.

EDIT: HardOCP did a nice analysis of fxaa recently and compare it with the equivalence from Ati. It's some good read linky

Old 07-31-11, 02:05 PM   #9
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
Yes sir
FXAA is a post process AA filter designed primarily to reduce aliasing in differed rendering engines where msaa isn't compatible.

Having used it a lot in Age of Conan I think its pretty darn nice filter with a very small performance hit (less then 2x msaa) while still looking pretty good.

EDIT: HardOCP did a nice analysis of fxaa recently and compare it with the equivalence from Ati. It's some good read linky
This is done while playing? Or after capturing footage? I mean is it done live or is it like an effect I add to a video file.
Old 07-31-11, 02:40 PM   #10
JaylumX
Something Else

It is done in real-time because i am hypothersizing that the software applies the FXAA algorithm over the streamed image much in the same way ATI implementation of MLAA works on their GFX cards though FXAA maybe more forgiving on HUD elements.

While the ATI technique is done at a driver level and the 2D image is analysed and processed, it is the same with the Capture card FXAA method. The 2D image is analysed and processed in real-time and again i am hypothersizing that that is how it is done on games that support FXAA natively (Duke Forever, Age of Conan, Hamilton's Great Adventure).

EDIT: Beat me to it

i5 760 @ 4.0 | P7P55D-E | 8GB DDR3 | 60 & 120GB SSD - 1TB SATA 2 | HD 7950 @ 1200/6300 | HDAV 1.3 | HD598

Xbox 360 120GB | PS3 40GB | Wii 8GB | Sony KDL-32EX723BU
JaylumX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 04:08 PM   #11
EciDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3avyM3tal View Post
This is done while playing? Or after capturing footage? I mean is it done live or is it like an effect I add to a video file.
it's real time while playing like a real time post process effect directly on the captured stream.
Kinda what you can do with media player classic or vlc by adding various effects in real time.

nvidia FXAA is very similar to Ati's MLAA but fxaa is universal and works on both brands
It's a real time single pass shader compatible with both cards using edge detection algorithms. In the HardOCS article there's a link to nvidias whitepage in pdf format about fxaa and how it works.

fxaa cant really see any difference between geometry, it treats the entire picture softening aliased edges, but it works pretty well in the games i've seen it

with nvidia inspector you can force fxaa on a driver level, but it only affects open gl so far.
I've tried it with some old gl games and dolphin emulator using the open gl render path.
I like it a lot there as you get the added bonus of transparency anti aliasing for "free"
Old 07-31-11, 04:24 PM   #12
JaylumX
Something Else

Sort of related even if it is a PC game

[OT]If you want a very good example of FXAA (for the curious) then try Hamilton's Great Adventure and you can find the demo and game details here. You need DX11 software installed and a minimum DX10 class hardware to run. Also your sound cards sample rate must be set at 48khz or you will not get any sound.

Any ways, the game is gorgious and the AA exteremly smooth without the ugly blur. At some point i was convinced that the game was using some sort of super-sampling technique (like Trine) until i chanced on the nature of FXAA and looked closely at the game GFX settings.

Anyway give the game a go. This is the sort of last resort AA i certainly would like in my games.[/OT]

i5 760 @ 4.0 | P7P55D-E | 8GB DDR3 | 60 & 120GB SSD - 1TB SATA 2 | HD 7950 @ 1200/6300 | HDAV 1.3 | HD598

Xbox 360 120GB | PS3 40GB | Wii 8GB | Sony KDL-32EX723BU
JaylumX is offline   Reply With Quote