Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-11, 11:04 AM   #13
jlippo

Default Re: New Graphics Technology for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmith View Post
You know, I just had a thought: what do CGI in movies, particularly the Avatars of the world, use?
Micropolygons using REYES rasterizer and limited ray-tracing.
Ray-tracing is usually used for creating GI data for renderer, but is rarely used for actual rendering as it has tendency of increase the needed amount of surface shading. (shaders can be tens of thousands of lines long.)
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 08:04 AM   #14
AthlonXP1800

Very impressive engine, if a new game released today based on Unlimited Detail engine then it would put CryEngine 3 to shame. The models and the terrain system is stunning, it so much better than in Crysis which used voxel rendering on terrain system.

It not a scam, the developer Euclideon received $2 million Australia government grant to funded the project and the tech demo hopefully will be release in the next few months so we all will have to see how well it run on our systems.

http://www.euclideon.com/

The link below have some listing of games used Voxel rendering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel

Wow Duke Nukem 3D got voxel add on pack, never tried it. Checked on youtube, seem that voxel pack are much better than High Resolution pack.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 08:43 AM   #15
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post
Very impressive engine, if a new game released today based on Unlimited Detail engine then it would put CryEngine 3 to shame. The models and the terrain system is stunning, it so much better than in Crysis which used voxel rendering on terrain system.
We might have to wait a while for that.. we have waited a while already as the tech was first shown in 2003.
http://www.agdc.com.au/about/archive...expos.php#expo

So, a tech from 2003 with no single presentation of moving, rotating objects or environment which is made from something else than 90' degree blocks.
We are talking about complexity of Wolf3D and ROTT levels.

Also Crysis doesn't directly render voxels, as they are converted to standard polygons and then rendered.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 01:50 PM   #16
AthlonXP1800

HardOCP interviewing Euclideon in 40 mins video clip to proved it not scam.

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/08/1...dell_interview

It showed the demo engine running smooth on ASUS G73SW laptop with Core i7 2630QM CPU, Windows 7 x64, 8GB DDR3 and Geforce GTX 460M 1.5GB. I hope to see the demo release soon.

I dont know whether we will ever see games using Euclideon's unlimited detail engine in a few years time but I noticed in other forums that John Carmack had figured out how to replaced the triangle in geometery with voxels and he was very suprised no one figured out. R&D on ID Tech 6 started July last month and voxel will be incorporated into ID Tech 6 new rendering engine. Not sure about voxel in the next Unreal 4 engine, we will play game based on ID Tech 6 engine in around 5 years time.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 02:27 PM   #17
abcgamer

Hopefully Crysis3 will come with something big. But it seems Crytek are more interested on consoles and licensing their engine to various developers. Even next gen consoles are not going to be very powerful? Rather than amount of detail, GI or even ray tracing should be aim for realistic graphics
abcgamer is offline   Reply With Quote