Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-11, 07:20 AM   #109
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Minecraft

I started running the Bukkit server last night, then my PC decided to reboot on updates. I think it's corrupted now, can't get it to start up without a ton of errors. Argh.

EDIT: Turns out the map was corrupt. Started a new one. Lame.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 08:08 AM   #110
Bman212121

Yup, that's why you need to have world saves. Lots of things can break the server.

Here is the link to bukkits server setup. http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server

There is a link to an init script which will let you run MC as a service if you want to administer it remotely via ssh. https://github.com/Ahtenus/minecraft-init I have a cron job setup to call "/etc/init.d/minecraft backup" every other day which will copy the entire world into a backup folder. You can definitely use one of the backup plugins like Roadhog suggested as well. I'd use that in tandem with the init script and then you wouldn't need to setup a cron job for backups.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 10:54 AM   #111
six_storm

I got really good backup plugin working now. Now I just need to transfer it off of the server to another location for redundancy.

These plugins for Bukkit are sweet.
Old 08-11-11, 11:20 AM   #112
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

when can i play six?

lulz
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 01:14 PM   #113
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
when can i play six?

lulz
When you buyz a copy.
Old 08-11-11, 01:23 PM   #114
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
When you buyz a copy.
Old 08-11-11, 03:22 PM   #115
six_storm

Co-workers here are buzzing about playing MC on a self-hosted server. They love it!

One guy is donating his old workstation to be the new server, instead of me running it through VBox. Awesome.
Old 08-11-11, 03:40 PM   #116
Bman212121

Quote:
Co-workers here are buzzing about playing MC on a self-hosted server. They love it!

One guy is donating his old workstation to be the new server, instead of me running it through VBox. Awesome.
Just make sure it's running Linux. MC Server hates windows for some reason... I'm running mine in a VM on gentoo on top of a windows pc. Runs better than just running it from the windows box.

As for plugins half of the ones I was using didn't get updated, so they are pretty parse right now.

If you like to cheat, I suggest voxel more. It lets you type /more and it will give you a full stack of any item you are holding. Makes it a lot easier to build things than spending the time getting resources. If you're only going to be playing a couple of hours a week you'll probably spend most of your time mining for stuff.

Minecart mania has some really neat stuff to it. It isn't as needed as before now with all of the booster tracks, but it can still provide lots of ways to make traveling easier.

I have another plugin called proper time which is useful for speeding up night time since it takes way too long. Have it set to double time for dusk and night so you don't spend 5 minutes in pitch black just standing there.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-11, 01:48 PM   #117
six_storm

Minecraft is BOGO this weekend only!

http://notch.tumblr.com/

http://www.minecraft.net
Old 08-12-11, 08:40 PM   #118
|MaguS|

HAWP took on Minecraft. o_0

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mi...hd-hawp/718825
Old 08-14-11, 07:23 PM   #119
six_storm

MC Admins:

I've had my Bukkit server running since Thursday night and things have been working well . . . until Friday night. The backup plugin I've been using just stopped working, started getting tons of error messages every time it tried to run. Took that out. Setup a more manually way of copying all MC files over to another workstation and overwriting every hour. This works but does not give the ability to go back to multiple points in time.

So now everything that was done today is now gone. Users are a little pissed because they've spent most of their day building stuff.

What am I doing wrong? I'm going to check and see which version of Bukkit I'm using and see if somehow I got a beta or unstable release, but I think I got the latest stable release.

Also, what plugins are you guys using for backups?

Finally, I know that "spawnjail" is an anti-griefing tool built into the game, but how can you disable it? I've used some spawn plugins that allows me to set my own custom spawn, users just type /spawn and they go there. That plugin works with no problem.

I just hope I can find some stability in this . . .
Old 08-14-11, 10:34 PM   #120
zoomy942

Quote:
MC Admins:

I've had my Bukkit server running since Thursday night and things have been working well . . . until Friday night. The backup plugin I've been using just stopped working, started getting tons of error messages every time it tried to run. Took that out. Setup a more manually way of copying all MC files over to another workstation and overwriting every hour. This works but does not give the ability to go back to multiple points in time.

So now everything that was done today is now gone. Users are a little pissed because they've spent most of their day building stuff.

What am I doing wrong? I'm going to check and see which version of Bukkit I'm using and see if somehow I got a beta or unstable release, but I think I got the latest stable release.

Also, what plugins are you guys using for backups?

Finally, I know that "spawnjail" is an anti-griefing tool built into the game, but how can you disable it? I've used some spawn plugins that allows me to set my own custom spawn, users just type /spawn and they go there. That plugin works with no problem.

I just hope I can find some stability in this . . .

im not into mine craft but its cool seeing you get techy and really into it.