Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-11, 06:32 PM   #721
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: Battlefield 3 News/Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Wrong actually because everytime you play a game installed using Steam, you have to connect to it and it runs in the background. Origin works like retail disks, I can play Crysis Warhead like a retail disk but I brought it on Origin.
Wrong, I have tons of games I can open without steam. I can even copy the game folder to another hard drive and open them. You should learn about steam before you bash it. You just look more like a fool.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 06:50 PM   #722
mojoman0

steam also forces you to download updates before playing games, often huge ones
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 07:13 PM   #723
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
steam also forces you to download updates before playing games, often huge ones
Also wrong. You can disable automatic updating.
Old 08-13-11, 08:22 PM   #724
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Wrong, I have tons of games I can open without steam. I can even copy the game folder to another hard drive and open them. You should learn about steam before you bash it. You just look more like a fool.
So why when I tried to play all my Steam games does it load the client then? Steam logs in everytime.

Instead of calling me, why don't you just except that this is just what I do, instead of making assumptions I'm an fool? So defensive you cannot even construct a conversation without attacking someone.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 08:46 PM   #725
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
So why when I tried to play all my Steam games does it load the client then? Steam logs in everytime.

Instead of calling me, why don't you just except that this is just what I do, instead of making assumptions I'm an fool? So defensive you cannot even construct a conversation without attacking someone.
What games are you trying? I said it doesn't work for steam works games, or games that use steam cloud.
Old 08-13-11, 08:50 PM   #726
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
What games are you trying? I said it doesn't work for steam works games, or games that use steam cloud.
can you mention some that work for you? all the ones (8 of them ) i am trying open up steam.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 09:01 PM   #727
Sean_W

Quote:
I'm talking about Steam, that's the point. Games brought from Steam need Steam to login and open to play. This is general usage, adding your own none Steam games doesn't have anything to do with it.

The point is, games brought on Origin don't need the Origin client to run and only if you run the game inside the Origin client does it keep running, obviously.
Old 08-13-11, 09:02 PM   #728
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Out of the 10 games I have installed, 6 can be opened without steam.
Il-2 1946
Company of heroes
Batman AA
Mass Effect 2
Portal 2
Settlers 7

Basically, any game that don't have a "Steam_API.dll" in the same folder as the game EXE will work without steam. There's also other ways to get them to open without steam, but if I tell you how, this thread would get locked. You know the way i'm talking about anyways.

Old 08-13-11, 09:03 PM   #729
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
I'm talking about Steam, that's the point. Games brought from Steam need Steam to login and open to play. This is general usage, adding your own none Steam games doesn't have anything to do with it.

The point is, games brought on Origin don't need the Origin client to run and only if you run the game inside the Origin client does it keep running, obviously.

So am I.. I told you that only steamwork and steam cloud games require steam to run. There are TONS of other games that you can buy through steam that don't need it to run.
Old 08-13-11, 09:14 PM   #730
Sean_W

None of my Steam games run without the client and I have about 16 and about half don't support Steam Cloud.

Point is you can buy BF3 from Origin without the need to run Origin everytime to play it. Just add BF3 to Steam then like any other game, it's that simple.
Old 08-13-11, 09:18 PM   #731
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
None of my Steam games run without the client and I have about 16 and about half don't support Steam Cloud.

Point is you can buy BF3 from Origin without the need to run Origin everytime to play it. Just add BF3 to Steam then like any other game, it's that simple.
Did you try any of the games I listed? lol

How can you say BF3 wont require origin to run when it's not even out. Silly to make claims like that.
Old 08-13-11, 09:26 PM   #732
Sean_W

Quote:
Did you try any of the games I listed? lol

How can you say BF3 wont require origin to run when it's not even out. Silly to make claims like that.
Because games now don't, so why would BF3? Why do you assume it works like Steam? Origin works like installing retail disks, I even brought BFBC2 Vietnam from Origin without needing BFBC2 from Origin, unlike how Steam works where you need the Steam version of BFBC2 to play Vietnam.

Only have Portal 2 from that list. I've not played it in a while so I'll have to try it.