Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-11, 06:50 PM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: PSU died. Help me find a replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Not what I expected behind Door Number 3, but a PSU nontheless. It's a Tagan TurboJet 1100W Model TG1100-U96.

Holy Moley!

You lookin' to part with any of those, any time soon?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 09:02 PM   #14
MikeC
Administrator

Talking Re: PSU died. Help me find a replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Holy Moley!

You lookin' to part with any of those, any time soon?
Oh my. Great question to ask!

Let's wait for Pony to respond first, but the PSUs have been idle for over 18 months.

Although they are no longer for sale, the PSUs are not obsolete. To someone else, they are like gold.

When someone is looking for a product that I'm willing to part with, I'll offer my assistance.

The PSUs were terribly expensive when I purchased them.

All I ask is that you prepay packaging and shipping costs up front and the PSU will be yours for free (almost)!

PS: I own prime real estate in Florida and I'm ready to offer you the deal of a lifetime.

See? Here's a pic of my last bitch batch of loyal customers!

Don't they look really ****ing happy?
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 01:00 AM   #15
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Oh my. Great question to ask!

Let's wait for Pony to respond first, but the PSUs have been idle for over 18 months.

Although they are no longer for sale, the PSUs are not obsolete. To someone else, they are like gold.

When someone is looking for a product that I'm willing to part with, I'll offer my assistance.

The PSUs were terribly expensive when I purchased them.

All I ask is that you prepay packaging and shipping costs up front and the PSU will be yours for free (almost)!

PS: I own prime real estate in Florida and I'm ready to offer you the deal of a lifetime.

See? Here's a pic of my last bitch batch of loyal customers!

Don't they look really ****ing happy?

If you're serious, then yes I have a need for a good, solid PSU. But I also agree, let's see what PonyCar says. If you have any other spare, unneeded parts I may have a need as well.

If you're cool with it, let's talk after you've gotten PonyCar taken care of.

Thanks boss!
Old 08-16-11, 03:40 PM   #16
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:

If you're serious, then yes I have a need for a good, solid PSU. But I also agree, let's see what PonyCar says. If you have any other spare, unneeded parts I may have a need as well.

If you're cool with it, let's talk after you've gotten PonyCar taken care of.

Thanks boss!
Of course, I am serious. Don't let my petty jokes trick you

But we might need to put out an APB on Pony though!

Has anyone spotted Pony on the streets recently? This is what his avatar looks like:

Old 08-16-11, 03:51 PM   #17
MikeC
Administrator

Old 08-16-11, 03:52 PM   #18
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Corsair ax1200. The best psu on the market currently.
I'd have to say the Antec High Current Pro 1200W Power Supply is a hair better according to the reviews I've read when deciding between them.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 03:54 PM   #19
MikeC
Administrator

Uh-oh.

PSU wars!

Old 08-16-11, 04:26 PM   #20
grey_1

Heeeeere's Jonny!

Antec High Current Pro
Quote:
Page 4 -
Performance (40% of the final score) - Efficiency was fantastic, ripple suppression was perfect, noise was quite acceptable despite the 80MM fan and voltage regulation, albeit far from perfect, was pretty decent. The HCP 1200 scores a 9.5 here.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - The unit is only partially modular, but all of the fixed cables are cables that someone that needs a 1200W power supply would use. The functionality score here is a 9.5.

Value (30% of the final score) - This unit is expensive at $349, but it's one of only a handful of 80 Plus Gold 1200W units. Value score here is 9.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - This is a nice looking unit. The dark blue is a different look than other power supplies without being something that would be a turn off for some. The cables are fully sleeved all of the way into the PSU housing and the modular cables are all nicely sleeved. Aesthetic score here is 9.5.

If it weren't for the high price, this PSU would get straight 9.5's. With the one 9 thrown in there, our total score is 9.35, which we can round up to give this unit a 9.5 and a jonnyGURU recommended logo!

Total Score

Corsair AX1200

Quote:
Page 5 -

Performance (40% of the final score) - oh, this one's easy. 10.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - Corsair was thinking of pretty much everything when they drew up this unit. It's fully modular, has that nice flat black cabling to help with cluttered cases, and has enough peripheral connectors to satisfy almost everyone. Going to have to do 9.5 here, because I'd like to encourage the addition of a multirail OCP enable switch on units this size.

Value (30% of the final score) - Corsair expects these to hit the streets for around the $300 mark, with the MSRP being $329. Over at Newegg, this would make the unit a fair bit cheaper than the reigning king of the hill in the Silverstone ST1500 and competing a little bit on the high side with the other 1200W+ units being sold there. But, one must also remember that this is currently the only Gold rated 1200W unit being released right now. That makes this unit a very good value indeed. 9.5.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - no complaints here. I like the way it looks a whole lot. 10.

Total Score

Old 08-17-11, 03:46 AM   #21
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
If you have any other spare, unneeded parts I may have a need as well.
Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.

Look at WTF I found!

The broken and POS laptop is for sale!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=165362
Old 08-17-11, 12:01 PM   #22
Redeemed

Thanks Mike, but I don't have a need for a broken laptop. GL with the sale though. If somebody can get that working I'd imagine it'd still be a beast of a computer for basic stuff.
Old 08-17-11, 12:14 PM   #23
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
I'd have to say the Antec High Current Pro 1200W Power Supply is a hair better according to the reviews I've read when deciding between them.
nope.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 02:14 PM   #24
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
nope.
I was referring to this review from HARDOCP...

Quote:
Prior to today's launch of the Antec High Current Pro 1200W (HCP-1200), the Corsair AX1200 ruled the roost as the best 1200W unit on the market. After taking in to account the excellent build quality, the outstanding voltage regulation, outstanding efficiency, and outstanding DC Output Quality results we begin to see a pattern where the HCP-1200 edges out the AX1200 on just about every front. Even when it comes down the Transient Load Testing, which has tripped up many high quality units, we see the HCP-1200 coming up as clearly the best 1200W unit we have seen to date.

Clearly, with the Antec High Current Pro 1200W (HCP-1200) coming in at the same $299 as the recent Corsair AX1200 we have to tip our hat to the new king of the 1200 watt PSUs as Antec has really hit this one out of the park with the HCP-1200 surpassing the AX1200 in almost every way.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote