Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-03, 10:40 PM   #1
dqubed

Unhappy Loading Graphics driver in text mode????

I purchase a new PC the other day ... well the pieces to make another one at least. ECS Motherboard 800FSB, 80 Gig HD, Asylum GeForce Fx5200 video card, RW DVD ROM, and a 2.5 GHZ Celeron processor.

I installed all the hardward and split the partition 50/30 Gig. I have loaded XP on the 50 Gig no problem. I tried to load Linux on the remaining 28+ Gig. Tried to run in graphical mode, no dice ... blank screen. So I ran it in text mode and installed all 3 disks. rebooted, selected Linux and still the blank screen. I assume it is a problem with the video card, like that it needs driver updates. So I called Asylum and they told me to download the latest drivers for Windows and Linux.

I have downloaded the latest drivers 4 both. I also bought a 256MB USB Flash Drive, but have no floppy drive. Both drivers will be contained on that drive. The Windows update is no problem. Linux is the famous chicken before the egg dilemma. How am I going to install the new video driver for Linux if I do not have the graphical interface? Will it be able to read it off my USB stick? I am doubting the last one.
Old 12-14-03, 04:34 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Depending on your linux distro, and its USB options in the kernel, yes your USB stick should work. However, even if it does not you can still get the driver installed rather painlessly.

First, since you didn't mention the distro you're using I'm guessing a bit, but the process is similar with them all. You need to boot into text mode, or into single user mode. Do this by adding (temporarily) a 3 or a 1 to the end of the kernel parameter line in grub. Mine reads:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.0-test11-bk8 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=792 rhgb

To force the system to boot into runlevel 3 (normal text mode) I would push p in grub, enter password, push e to edit the linux entry, push e on this line, then add the number and push enter. push b to boot after that.
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.0-test11-bk8 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=792 rhgb 3

Ignore any other differences in your setup and mine, simply add the number. When you get into text mode, you should first try to get the graphical mode working using the basic drivers supplied with linux, the nVidia drivers will be a major pain if the basic ones don't work at all. The blank screen problem is caused by the distro choosing the wrong one, if you choose the right one it should work (here I am assuming lots.. if its not as I suggest here post what was different!). Edit files in textmode either with vi, emacs, joe, or pico (in order of my preference).
In the file, /etc/X11/XF86Config, in the Device section, you should find the line:
Driver "vesa"

Change this line to read:
Driver "nv"

And then you should be able to boot X, either by rebooting your computer, or using the command 'telinit 5'. As you might expect, if things go wrong use the command 'telinit 3' to return to textmode.

You can attempt to get the driver off the USB, or off another partition (if your distro can mount your XP drive, you might need ntfs support which most leave out in standard kernels), or just download it fresh from the site. If you have networking setup by the installer, you can download the driver with wget to the current directory with:
wget full_url_to_file
Old 12-14-03, 11:39 AM   #3
dqubed

Default more rudementarty ... I think

Thanks for the quick response. For starters, I am running Linux 9.0.

what do you mean when you say press p in grup? What is grub. Here is what I try: boot up into Lilo where it prompts me for linux or windows. I highlight linux and use 'contol x' to get into text mode. In text mode, the prompt is boot: and the only think it will allow is linux or windows. So I type "linux text".

The boot starts and I see this "INIT: Entering runlevel: 5". I try to get into interactive mode before this comes up, but it will not let me do anything until after this point.

Knowing this, any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek
dqubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-03, 02:11 PM   #4
dqubed

Question Ok changed boot loader to Grub ...

Have done a ton. I uninstalled and reinstalled. The installer prompted me for the Video Driver. I chose the NVidia GeForce FX generic driver. Their were a few other NVidia but none were th 5200.

Even after that, it tried to use the vesa driver when it was booted.

So I went through the steps you provided and modified the /etc/X11/XF86Config as you suggested. Then I rebooted, tried to bring it up in Graphics mode and the screen goes to login prompt, blinks off twice, then a popup saying it couldn't start the x server.

I look at the log file and there is no screen found and has a problem with NV(0). This used to say it had a problem with VESA(0), or something along those lines.

So I then tried to plug in the USB Flash Drive. It then tells me there is no driver claiming that type of device, maybe not exact wording.

Let me know if anything else comes to mind. I can not put this thing on our network.

Thanks,
Derek
Old 12-14-03, 04:00 PM   #5
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

You could simply reinstall it all if you prefer, this time do NOT select the generic FX card, select instead the generic GeForce 2, and then select not to probe the video card. You can do monitor setup normally in the installer.

The are several versions of linux that use the # 9.0, they are Slackware, Suse, RedHat, Mandrake, maybe more. If you could tell me which of these you're using it will help. I'm glad you figured out the difference, grub is an equivalent to lilo, so your distribution of Linux chose to use lilo instead (or you did when installling). That is fine.

Perhaps someone with lilo experience can correct this if its not right. The command I gave you works with grub, but to get lilo to boot into single user mode you want to give one of the commands (at the lilo prompt):
init 1
linux init 1

You may also be able to use:
linux single

Hopefully you can now get to the root prompt to edit files without the errors. I've attached my current full XF86Config so that you can view the main format of one that works, setup to use the nv driver that should work with your card. You need to have the correct monitor setup with refresh ranges that work. Again if you can specify what linux you're using I can help you with a config tool for doing this.

Without specific warning messages it is difficult to help you trouble shoot the crash of X. The file /var/log/XFree86.0.log contains very useful messages, if you can get this file by any means and post it that would help. I haven't used a USB microdrive myself, but I'll look for the proper configuration if its simple enough to explain. Before doing so, distro specifics and the exact microdrive you have are necessary to know.
Old 12-14-03, 07:09 PM   #6
dqubed

Post Linux RedHat 9.0 ...

Thank you so much for spending the amount of time you already have.

USB error message when I login to text mode, and then insert the USB 2.0 Flash Drive from SimpleTech:
[root@localhost root]# usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4e8/0x100) is not claimed by any active driver.
Vendor: SIMPTECH Model: USB DRIVE Rev:1.12
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Without being able the get the /var/log/XFree86.0.log here is a little snippet at the end of the file. I looked for warnings and errors and captured info up to and through the warnings:

(--) NV(0): VideoRAM:131072 kBytes
(==) NV(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(II) NV(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 50.00-61.00 kHz
(II) NV(0): Monitor0: Using vrefresh value of 31.50 Hz
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "640x350" (hsync out of range)
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (bad mode clock/interlace/doubles can)
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)
(WW) NV(0): Mode pool is empty
(EE) NV(0): No valid modes found
(II) NV(0): UnloadModule: "nv"
(II) NV(0): UnloadModule: "i2c"

unloading some more modules then this:

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Do not know if it matters, but thought I would also mention that I have been installing the workstation (second selection after personal pc).

In the mean time I will try the reinstall specifying GeForce 2 generic driver. No worries about Lilo, on my last install I selected Grub as the preference.

Again, Thanks for your help,
Derek

PS maybe I am loosing it, but I couldn't find the attachment? Is it there and I am blind?

Last edited by dqubed; 12-14-03 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-14-03, 07:35 PM   #7
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

The errors suggest the monitor setup may not be right if it cannot find any modes that will work, however its normal for the driver to reject 20-30 modes or so in the log. Just try to verify your monitor setup, horizontal and vertical refresh rate ranges (perhaps from the monitor's specification sheets from the manufacturer). Select a generic monitor of the proper size if you can't check these values.

To attach a file, right underneath the typing area you'll see a textfield (for local filename), and a button.
Old 12-15-03, 09:49 AM   #8
rednuht
GeForce FX5600 (1.0-5336)

Default usb drive

in a console type
lsmod
(usually as root)

it should list various USB things including
usb-storage

if not try
modprobe usb-storeage
(again, as root)