Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-11, 05:51 PM   #37
Hogrider

Default Re: HP Touchpad with Web OS

I installed the patch to muffle logs as mentioned here http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...-touchpad/3866
I had already enabled developer mode Sunday and installed preware.
I can't get to the phone dialer like it shows in that article because I don't have a HP phone with Web OS to pair with via bluetooth so I can't do that one trick but I did go into preware and install the muffle log patch and maybe it's my imagination but it did seem to speed up things. It is already pretty quick out of the box and applying the latest update but sometimes after clicking an app it hesitates to open. This seems to have sped it up some.
Didn't try anything else as I'm still kind of chicken to mess with patching it through 3rd parties but it does let you uninstall the patches so maybe if you do that it will put it back to the way it orginally was and not be so risky.

I saw on another article that there is a patch to speed up the animations and it is there in preware. Also a patch to take off the bandwidth throttle but remember some of these apps and patches are for the phones too. I don't think there is a bandwidth throttle on the Touchpad. It says the throttle is 64kbps downloads and when I was downloading something off of preware it shows your download speed and mine was 700kbps.

Whenever you touch the screen it makes like a little ripple animation, I saw a couple of patches to get rid of the ripple and another for the screen sensitivity. Didn't install either of those either.

Rakeesh first posted about this here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=82

Rakeesh, did you install all those patches? What is your experience after installing them? The muffled logs seems to have made a pretty good difference.
Old 08-22-11, 06:19 PM   #38
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

come on tracking number...............
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 06:27 PM   #39
Hogrider

Just saw this on another forum (post 202 here http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...o-fast-11.html)

Quote:
I have confirmed that after an update you DO have to ##LOGS# again to reset them back to minimal.

You can also get to theses options thru Device Info | Device Menu pull down | Diagnostics | Diagnostics Menu pull down | Collect Logs
Since I couldn't get to the phone dialer I tried exactly what that said and it worked to . I had no idea all those options and diagnostic tests, logs etc were there.
Old 08-22-11, 06:32 PM   #40
Albo

God Hogrider, is this device that good?

Give us some more info on it.

And 1 question, can you video call on skype with it?
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 06:58 PM   #41
Hogrider

Skype is confirmed working. My step daughter just called my wife's Touchscreen desktop with her Touchpad.
I'm setting up Skype on mine now.
Old 08-22-11, 07:14 PM   #42
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Skype is confirmed working. My step daughter just called my wife's Touchscreen desktop with her Touchpad.
I'm setting up Skype on mine now.
Oh awesome. So it was video right? Or was it just a voice chat?
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 07:19 PM   #43
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Oh awesome. So it was video right? Or was it just a voice chat?
Yep I was playing with skype video chat to my evo 3D last night and it works perfectly.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 07:23 PM   #44
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Rakeesh first posted about this here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=82

Rakeesh, did you install all those patches? What is your experience after installing them? The muffled logs seems to have made a pretty good difference.
I wouldn't know too much because I applied them before even really using the OS that much. I researched each one thoroughly before applying it, and I used the ones that made sense. (don't remember what all those were, though there were about 5 in total)

Most of them seem to have a good purpose, though one I would avoid is the touch sensitivity one. Apparently that can make it annoying because you might have errant touches that you didn't mean to register, but they did anyways because the sensitivity is way up.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 08-22-11, 07:33 PM   #45
Moo
*BANNNED*

How to overclock your HP Touchpad

http://www.webosbuzz.com/webos-infor...e-3-0-2-a.html

Quote:
Touchpad is working fine after WebOS Update to 3.0.2 and overclock to 1.5GHz with Uberkernel.

how to overclock your TouchPad.

1. Install Preware on the TouchPad. Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
2. Install WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Quick Install v4.2.3 - PreCentral Forums
3. install Govnah, can be found in Preware, just search in Preware after installation.
4. Download one Kernel from webOS Internals Testing Feeds Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/3.0.2/
(I took uber-kernel. There are psycho-f15c, uber and warthoc-kernel)
5. install kernel with using WebOS Quick Install
6. reboot the TouchPad
7. After Kernel is installed, open Govnah and select the 1.5GHz option.
Also here:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...;siu-container
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 07:55 PM   #46
Rakeesh

I generally don't like to overclock portable devices because you invariably increase your power consumption so you need more frequent recharges.

Old 08-22-11, 08:00 PM   #47
Moo
*BANNNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I generally don't like to overclock portable devices because you invariably increase your power consumption so you need more frequent recharges.
One of the biggest complaints I've heard is how "slow" the user experience is. Might be partially resolved via killing logs, and remedied further via OC.

When I get mine in the mail, I will post impressions and compare with iPad2.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 09:09 PM   #48
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Got a tracking number. Huzaa!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote