Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-11, 06:29 PM   #169
Deanjo

Default Re: Optimus support for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
If not at least be like ATI, having one integrated Nvidia and one discrete Nvidia in the system.
That isn't to likely since Nvidia is out of the chipset business because of intels refusal to allow anyone but themselves to create QPI bus chipsets.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 10:31 AM   #170
mooninite

We're back to the days of 2D-only cards and 3D-only cards (Voodoo2).

Didn't we learn that we needed only one card to do everything? (Voodoo3+) It's beyond my control, but NVIDIA needs to invest R&D into 2D/3D power gates on their GPUs. It would crush the competition if they did.

I hope NVIDIA has gotten at least one OEM requesting Optimus support.

If you buy Quadro cards and read this thread, please ask your NVIDIA rep to support Optimus.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 07:23 PM   #171
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
Didn't we learn that we needed only one card to do everything? (Voodoo3+) It's beyond my control, but NVIDIA needs to invest R&D into 2D/3D power gates on their GPUs. It would crush the competition if they did.
Doubtful that they would crush the competition with every modern chipset out there having an IGP solution integrated already. All that would mean is additional cost that the OEM would have to eat or it would put their product out of a targeted price range.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 04:14 PM   #172
epsilon72
Gentoo User

I hope nVidia can get their act together with linux. The AMD Brazos APU's are looking really appealing!
epsilon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 02:45 PM   #173
Divided

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
I wonder why Nvidia does not choose to invent the optimus inside the GPU but instead choose to integrate with Intel IGP causing OS incompatibility, writing extra driver code and what is this??? having two different drivers Intel and Nvidia in the system? I do not believe this is a simple clean design.

Integrate power saving inside the GPU, use the 3d power when opengl call is detected. If not at least be like ATI, having one integrated Nvidia and one discrete Nvidia in the system.
I don't know much about this, but I thought it was that Intel was trying to compete with AMD in integrating a GPU into the CPU and nothing more. If Nvidia did that but in their GPU, it would cost them more? Cause if not, I imagine this would have happened a long long time ago. I know the idea for integrating it into the CPU is that it has better theoretical benefits in terms of power and efficiency; and I think this was AMD's intention in buying ATI so that they could dominate the laptop market.
Divided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 01:23 AM   #174
pavanShinde

pavanShinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 01:25 AM   #175
pavanShinde

I brought Asus K53SV laptop six months ago. I tried hard to get Nvidia drivers working on Ubuntu 11.04. later I found that Nvidia does't support Optimus on Linux at all. Now I'm using Ironhide though the performance is not very good.
Shame on Nvidia developers, who cannot even develop drivers for their own Optimus technology. /*Nvidia s*/
pavanShinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 09:33 PM   #176
LLStarks

Ironhide is long dead.

http://www.bumblebee-project.org/

Nvidia is going to be screwed since most of the GTX 600m series is going to be Optimus.
LLStarks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-12, 03:50 PM   #177
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

I think this is outrageous. All the work that went into the NVidia Linux drivers goes to hell because somebody decided that they have some secret to guard about an A/B switch?

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 04:09 PM   #178
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
I think this is outrageous. All the work that went into the NVidia Linux drivers goes to hell because somebody decided that they have some secret to guard about an A/B switch?
Umm, what exactly are you talking about here?
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 06:44 PM   #179
ViN86

I use bumblebee on Ubuntu. Works great.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 02:10 PM   #180
ruslan

Angry Re: Optimus support for Linux

I registered here just to express my big disappointment and outrage at this situation.

I wonder, should the manufacturer provide _working_ drivers for one of the most popular and dynamic platforms? Do the maintainers really stay on Windows or Mac?! Can't believe it.

There are only three main OSes: Windows, Mac and GNU/Linux. As far as I know, the latter is at least not more buggy than the others(I'm a developer), and far more free, flexible and reliable(IMHO).

This is very frustrating. I've just bought a laptop for 1000 dollars with GT 630M discrete card. And it is just NOT WORKING under any GNU/Linux distro! I merely can't understand your point. Marketing considerations? But I've just bought your video card(!), and I would buy more if it was not for this disappointment.

Farewell.
ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote