Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-16-03, 01:57 AM   #1
juggler

Exclamation resolved the problem with GeForce FX

Hello,

I've been using a GeForce 2 MX 400 in my Athlon XP 2600+ running Gentoo with vanilla source 2.4.23. When I replaced the card by an GeForce FX 5200 Ultra the horror begin. The problem was when I started X the console got scrambled, the nvidia logo never appeared and the machine got very very slow. When I logged in over the network I could kill X but then the machine went totally dead. But at a second try I could issue a succesful reboot.

Anyway the problem could be the card, the driver or the agp (I guess). Well since I also used a GeForce 2 MX 400 beforce, the AGP seems to be ok. Also the driver might be oke. Anyway after trying a lot. With agpgart and without. With 8x or 4x. With fastwrite and without. Without AGP at all. Nothing helped. Some would get me into the nvidia logo and then crash X.

Well today I solved the problem, because a couple of weeks ago suddenly the configuration worked (without me chaning anything). So happy I was I tought well let's just enjoy this moment and figure out what it was until it stoppes working. In these weeks I rebooten into XP to play some games. Even upgraded to 2.4.23 and it kept on working. Until yesterday. I just played some CS in XP reboot the machine and my X crashes. WHY? Well after tweaking some settings, rebooting a couple of times nothing helped. After sleeping a night I suddenly figured that after the last failing moment I never turned off the computer. I only issued 'reboot'-s until yesterday I clicked the wrong button in XP and instead of a reboot the computer went off. After turning on and booting Linux my X wouldn't start.

So I started into Windows XP then issued a reboot, started Linux and YES X works!

I hope this helps, it might be an initialization bug, so that the XP driver has to init the card first for the Linux driver to operate properly.

Bye, Lourens
juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-03, 03:32 AM   #2
oquinena

actually that sounds very strange. I have a Geforce FX 5200 to and have never had any problems with that. Could you be a little more specific on your hardware setup and driver version. Posting your log file would also help in figuring out the problem. You really shouldn't have to boot into windows every time you want linux,

Cheers
Daniel
oquinena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-03, 09:49 AM   #3
courtrrb

See the tread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=19801
this fix did fix the same problem I was having. P.S. When he say change the vga he means the one at the top of the file.
courtrrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-03, 10:36 AM   #4
juggler

My configuration:

MSI K7N2 Delta mainboard
Athlon XP 2600+
1 GB Ram
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, AGP 8x enabled, FastWrite disabled.
2x TFT screen with VGA connection, one connected using DVI->VGA converter.

Gentoo 1.4, with Vanilla sources 2.4.23 (also tried 2.4.22)

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.22 i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 05 October 2003

nvidia-glx version 1.0.4496
nvidia-kernel version 1.0.4496-r3

Bye, Lourens

P.S. The logfile shows the same when X failes. In other words; X does start, but the screen output failes and the machine gets very very slow and unstable.

P.S. I don't have to start Windows XP every time I want Linux. I only have to do this once every time the machine has been powered off.

Attachment: config and logfile
Attached Files
File Type: txt both.txt (35.6 KB, 108 views)
juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-03, 09:27 AM   #5
oquinena

Since neither the log nor the config file show's anything wrong really I have say it's problably a driver íssue...

You might wanna try the latest nvidia driver 4620. A lot of ppl have been using it without trouble. I would also suggest you upgrade the kernel to 2.6-test11... I've been using it since it was released without a single problem. It also contains a lot of updates for nforce2 chipsets so it might be worth a try.
I hope any of this will be of help.
Cheers
Daniel
oquinena is offline   Reply With Quote