Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-11, 02:45 AM   #13
Rakeesh

Default Re: Microsoft BUILD - Windows 8 Unveiling

I have mixed feelings about the metro UI, but it looks like they melded it pretty well with regular keyboard/mouse usage in addition to touch. I still don't think I'll ever leave android on mobile devices though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Microsoft failed in the phone market and now they're throwing their UI onto desktops. Neat trick to get you use to their devices.
Yeah so go back to linux which has failed even worse on the desktop. The intent is that microsoft basically doesn't have to compete with itself by essentially writing 3 different operating systems that might be competing for the same users. So microsoft simply made a decision over a year ago, that they wanted to create one OS that would be suitable for all platforms.

As part of that goal, they wanted one common UI and one common kernel. This is why you see (from the video) that microsoft has drastically reduced the cpu/memory footprint as well as reduced the crap out of the power consumption and made boot times nearly instant. That is a huge win for the desktop/laptop space as well.

You effectively get the best of both worlds regardless of the hardware you are using, which is nice.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 03:50 AM   #14
Capt. Picard

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-...ft-tablet.html

Quote:
Software savants unable to attend BUILD will be able to download developer copies of Windows 8 at dev.windows.com beginning at 0300 GMT on Wednesday.
Pardon my stupidity but what is a developer copy. Is that the Alpha version or even earlier than that.
Old 09-14-11, 08:57 AM   #15
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Well MS complained about the slow adoption of Vista and 7 in the enterprise segment. I'd say Windows 8 will break the record for slowest adoption.

This fancy touch interface is nice for a tablet. But on a PC, I don't want the desktop to be an app! At home and at work. According to the Anandtech article, mouse and mouse wheel support is pretty limited in the current build. MS knows how to provide a mouse interface, why change/disable it for this build?

I simply hope that there will be a normal Windows 7 like desktop interface without all the garbage shown at this presentations.

I fear Apple will go in the same direction and Lion was only a first taste.

Post-PC era doesn't mean that the PC is dead. It means that the PC will be used by professionals and those can't work with fullscreen apps and fancy interfaces!

I really hate this current trend!
100% agree.
Old 09-14-11, 09:37 AM   #16
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Crow_Nest

Just downloaded the x64 and x86 developer builds from microsoft. Had them both burned to DVD but im not gonna try it out until tomorrow or so. If mouse wheel support is really crippled in the current build like said in the above post then i doubt im gonna try anything until the RC builds. :/
| Hitachi 1TB SATA3 HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W |
| Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Casing | Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 |

Laptop : Lenovo IdeaPad Y450
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |
| 4GB DDR3 SDRAM | Western Digital 320GB | 14.1' LED Backlit Screen |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Crow_Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 10:07 AM   #17
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Well MS complained about the slow adoption of Vista and 7 in the enterprise segment. I'd say Windows 8 will break the record for slowest adoption.

This fancy touch interface is nice for a tablet. But on a PC, I don't want the desktop to be an app! At home and at work. According to the Anandtech article, mouse and mouse wheel support is pretty limited in the current build. MS knows how to provide a mouse interface, why change/disable it for this build?

I simply hope that there will be a normal Windows 7 like desktop interface without all the garbage shown at this presentations.

I fear Apple will go in the same direction and Lion was only a first taste.

Post-PC era doesn't mean that the PC is dead. It means that the PC will be used by professionals and those can't work with fullscreen apps and fancy interfaces!

I really hate this current trend!
MS is insane trying to push their failing phone UI on their best selling product, this will crippe their os share, no company will be crazy enough to upgrade their PCs to this Metro UI garbage
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 10:17 AM   #18
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Unless anyone hasn't tried, I finally got my install to work with Vbox. Guest additions don't work so it gimps the experience.

Not sure how I feel about the Metro stuff yet. I'm sure someone will find a way for it to boot directly to the desktop instead of the Metro UI. I know that for my work machines, I don't even want to see the Metro interface. I just want my desktop.

Looking forward to seeing what performance changes that have been made. I'd like my Windows installs to be faster, but hey, who doesn't?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 10:34 AM   #19
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post

Yeah so go back to linux which has failed even worse on the desktop. The intent is that microsoft basically doesn't have to compete with itself by essentially writing 3 different operating systems that might be competing for the same users. So microsoft simply made a decision over a year ago, that they wanted to create one OS that would be suitable for all platforms.
Linux never really got started on the desktop and it doesn't matter because Linux is a successful OS on most other platforms anyway. Microsoft make their primary OS part of touch screens, so it's a nice way for them to gain control over that platform, it's what they have always done, with hardly an competition. If you look at platforms that they actually have competition, they nowhere near dominate it like they desktop.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 11:00 AM   #20
mojoman0

Again you guys are missing that if you have the same os on your phone, tablet, and pc, all of your content and applications transfer over from one system to another without any effort. Having everything from the same ecosystem simplifies the experience. I look forward to the app store for pc, I'm just not sure I like the square grid approach
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-11, 11:20 AM   #21
Sean_W

It's got nothing to do with having the same OS on your phone. You can do all of those things without needing the same OS, it's just that Windows uses it's own way and tech for doing it.

The platform should be transparent.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 12:29 PM   #22
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Interface sucks. Don't give me a mobile interface on my computer.

But my MAC is working it's a$$ off

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-09-14 at 10.01.00 AM.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	43207  
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 01:30 PM   #23
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Windows 8, the new biggest failure in windows history.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 01:33 PM   #24
Redeemed

I don't know... I was really impressed when I saw the boot times. Without knowing more however, that is misleading. Was it UEFI instead of a BIOS? Was that with a SSD or a HDD? Lotta' details missing there. If that was a BIOS with a HDD then those were rediculously impressive boot times. I'd imagine a SSD would be faster. How much so is anybody's guess though.

Still not sold on this though. I'll probably upgrade to it regardless simply cause I'll get it through my technet subscription and wont have to pay retail. But if I did have to pay for it I'd likely not upgrade and just rock 7 till the next version came out.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote