Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-11, 05:37 AM   #61
Rakeesh

Default Re: Microsoft BUILD - Windows 8 Unveiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
By the looks of it, your right.

Sharing the same code base over different platforms is smart and makes sense. iOS is based on OS X. Android runs on different platforms and so on.

Sharing the same UI however is simply put a horrible idea. The first tablets used the normal desktop interface, that was a failure. Give it a great touch interface like Apple and Google did and they're a huge success!
Now their trying to force the tablet UI on the PC. It's bound to fail. There has to be an option for a classic desktop interface.
What are you talking about? That is EXACTLY what they're doing. Even the mobile versions of Windows 8 will have available a desktop that looks just like Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Or you and everyone else can keep spreading foolishness. Windows 8 was demoed on 4 year old netbook with a 1st gen atom with a gig of ram. It used about 360mb and had only 30 some processes.
This is actually what I find interesting about Windows 8. They demonstrate that it will have all of the same features as Windows 7, plus some extras, while using less hard disk space and less RAM.

They made those optimizations for the express purpose of making it a more viable mobile OS, and I think that is a good thing since the OS will perform even better on high end systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
integration is fine, but forcing (yes forcing) a failing UI unto people is just stupid, and I really hope this will turn out worse for MS then windows ME.

OS boots into metro, then you have to click on desktop to go back to normal UI, that is forcing.
I would imagine that could be easily changed; you don't even have to use explorer as the default UI in windows 7. Hell, some versions of 2008 R2 (the enterprise edition of windows 7) don't even include explorer by default.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 11:42 AM   #62
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
What are you talking about? That is EXACTLY what they're doing. Even the mobile versions of Windows 8 will have available a desktop that looks just like Windows 7.

This is actually what I find interesting about Windows 8. They demonstrate that it will have all of the same features as Windows 7, plus some extras, while using less hard disk space and less RAM.

They made those optimizations for the express purpose of making it a more viable mobile OS, and I think that is a good thing since the OS will perform even better on high end systems.

I would imagine that could be easily changed; you don't even have to use explorer as the default UI in windows 7.
I welcome new ideas even if they don't work. It leads to new products out of failed products. I am not saying windows 8 will fail. I have no idea at this point. As it stands right now I did not like the preview build I played with. I know it is not a real good product to compare to the final. It may be that it was completely new to me and I didn't know my way around it. I hold an open mind though because I can see what it is capable of.

Most PC people are a bunch of Archie Bunkers.
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 03:37 PM   #63
mullet

I will not upgrade to win 8 I see no reason to.
Old 09-16-11, 04:35 PM   #64
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Yeah with Windows 8 they're offering both interfaces on both tablets and PCs. I don't think that's smart. Those platforms are completely different, from the input method, over the target group to the tasks they're made for.

Otherwise you suddenly have two interfaces to maintain on the same platform. Plus it's confusing (tablet case) or annoying (pc case) for the user.
There is nothing to maintain. Have you used windows 8? It isn't two interfaces, it's one. The metro part is the start button. You can pull it back down at any time to see the desktop as you can in win7.
Old 09-16-11, 04:35 PM   #65
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
I will not upgrade to win 8 I see no reason to.
same here, i don't want to support this metro **** on desktop.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 05:07 PM   #66
Sean_W

Basically, the start menu brings up the metro UI where you can do stuff. This idea is already what the one of the Linux desktop environments use. GNOME Shell replaces it's menu with an overview of windows and apps, which is pretty much what MS as done.

Not saying Microsoft are copying but well, it's on the same lines.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 05:11 PM   #67
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElL33t View Post
There is nothing to maintain. Have you used windows 8? It isn't two interfaces, it's one. The metro part is the start button. You can pull it back down at any time to see the desktop as you can in win7.
Yes its actually an application for each UI. Metro or classic desktop. Run either or both.

I think performance increases will make this a worthy upgrade, but we will have to see once it gets out of development. We have heard news of being able to play xbox games nativity as well, but who knows how that will work out.

Hopefully there are lots of goodies that will be in 8 that will make us want to upgrade. You babies can whine till the sun don't shine about metro on DT. No one is making you use it including MS. So beat that drum till you go deaf no one is listening.

You really should learn about the platform before you speak foolishly.

Also wanted to add that MS confirmed no flash on Metro IE10 yesterday. Yes there will be two IE10's one for DT and one for Metro.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...sh-plugins.ars
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 05:22 PM   #68
Sean_W

So basically Microsoft have done an Apple like they did on their iphone and iPad. LOL, this just keeps getting better and better.

After supporting the plugin mess and even creating their own media plugins, they drop them all together in the metro UI.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-11, 05:25 PM   #69
bacon12

It was the right decision when you consider battery life, and security/stability. Plus it will also make the transition to html 5 go so much faster. Which needs to happen.

Silverlight was to be a more secure option to flash for MS, and it is. For protected streams it seems there is still an issue though, and no way to use HTML 5.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 05:38 PM   #70
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Yes its actually an application for each UI. Metro or classic desktop. Run either or both.

I think performance increases will make this a worthy upgrade, but we will have to see once it gets out of development. We have heard news of being able to play xbox games nativity as well, but who knows how that will work out.

Hopefully there are lots of goodies that will be in 8 that will make us want to upgrade. You babies can whine till the sun don't shine about metro on DT. No one is making you use it including MS. So beat that drum till you go deaf no one is listening.

You really should learn about the platform before you speak foolishly.

Also wanted to add that MS confirmed no flash on Metro IE10 yesterday. Yes there will be two IE10's one for DT and one for Metro.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...sh-plugins.ars
I didn't think what I said was foolish at all. I was just saying what I experienced. It felt like one UI with a expanded start menu.
Old 09-16-11, 07:06 PM   #71
mojoman0

Photos, Mail, People, Calendar, and Messaging Metro app demos

mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 10:36 PM   #72
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
Photos, Mail, People, Calendar, and Messaging Metro app demos

simply horrible, windows with social bs integration, great, just ****ing great, when they finish the setup it will probably ask your for facebook acount.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote