Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-19-11, 07:35 AM   #1
Rakeesh

Default Samsung alone is eclipsing Apple, nevermind Android as a whole

Soon Apple will probably no longer be the top smartphone vendor. No wonder they are desperately trying to sue Samsung.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Samsung launched the hugely successful Galaxy S II, which has set sales records for the company and helped propel it to a close rivalry with Apple. During second quarter, Apple shipped 20.3 million smartphones, with Samsung following close behind with 19.2 million units, according to IDC. A year earlier, Samsung shipped just 3.1 million smartphones. Do the math -- that's 520 percent year-over-year growth.
http://betanews.com/2011/09/18/iphon...t+Feed+-+BN%29

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 09:00 AM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

That's awesome that an underdog is coming up in the mobile sales realm.

But remember, iPhone 5 is yet to be unveiled and the demand for that phone is going to be huge. Android, IMO, still has a ways to go. Still buggy and still lacking on the apps side. But again, my opinion.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 10:01 AM   #3
Q

Default Re: Samsung alone is eclipsing Apple, nevermind Android as a whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post

But remember, iPhone 5 is yet to be unveiled and the demand for that phone is going to be huge. Android, IMO, still has a ways to go. Still buggy and still lacking on the apps side. But again, my opinion.
But it's a very common opinion. I chose an Android device knowing that it wouldn't be as polished as the competition. Of course, Google has been trying to make Android all things to all people and that's why it's such a mess. I had a specific need that could only be filled with Android - SSH tunneling with RDP. It fits my needs.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 10:35 AM   #4
|MaguS|

Quote:

I don't agree with that. I think as a Cellphone OS it has exceeded the iPhone in how robust it is. What makes it "buggy" is the stupid **** the manufacturers do with it. If you get a great device and put stock Android 3.2 on it, its stable as a rock with some of the best battery life available on the market. I don't know how anyone can say Android is lacking on the app side of things, it has apps that would never make it on the Apple Marketplace due to Apples draconian policies. Yes it might not have the games the iphone has but thats because of the target audience... I see more adults and tech savy people with android with kids (14-19) and moms going with the iphone.
Old 09-19-11, 02:41 PM   #5
Yaboze

Apple's last iPhone and major OS update was over a year ago, that's an eternity for mobile and computing in general. Meanwhile, there's a new Android phone from several different manufacturers every few months it seems.

Every Android phone I've used just feels sloppy. Ugly icons and isn't very smooth. Granted, I haven't tried the Galaxy S II, it does look nice, but still, it just isn't as polished. My friend just got a Droid Bionic and it's very thick and feels cheap.

The iPhone 5 is due out along with the new iOS 5. Things will change, again.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 06:55 PM   #6
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Apple is the company making the most money right now and that's the most important number.
Important to whom? You the consumer paying for gear, or a share holder looking for a better return on your investment?

This is a tech forum, we like cool things from companies who aren't total douche's. Its doubtful anyone here posting on a regular basis has that much of a portfolio to make you rich off Apple.

So a 10% margin for a hardware maker or 30% for Apple I could give two sh!ts.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 07:47 PM   #7
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I don't agree with that. I think as a Cellphone OS it has exceeded the iPhone in how robust it is. What makes it "buggy" is the stupid **** the manufacturers do with it. If you get a great device and put stock Android 3.2 on it, its stable as a rock with some of the best battery life available on the market. I don't know how anyone can say Android is lacking on the app side of things, it has apps that would never make it on the Apple Marketplace due to Apples draconian policies. Yes it might not have the games the iphone has but thats because of the target audience... I see more adults and tech savy people with android with kids (14-19) and moms going with the iphone.
To each his own. I want a phone I can take out of the box and get a good, smooth experience and stability. After having a Droid, rooting, trying hundreds of ROMs and kernels, and tons of hours tinkering, I'm done with a complicated phone OS that doesn't give me the results I want.

When I bought my wife an iPhone, it was day and night how much better iOS was than Android. I could actually type quickly, not have a laggy keyboard and lots of corrections. And even after 4 months of heavy use by my wife, the phone is still as fast and stable as it was out of the box. That's what I want.

December cannot come fast enough. Dang you VZW and your upgrade rules!
Old 09-19-11, 08:35 PM   #8
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

After playing with the samsung galaxy s2, Im thinking of doing the switch, having had the Iphone 3gs and 4, im kinda bored with the UI, main reason Ive stayed with iphone is how smooth and slick IOS was, but the S2 is the first android phone I can honestly say that caught my interest, its insanely smooth even with plenty of widgets out, it never slowed down once. Unfortunately the phone was sold out everywhere I went

Old 09-20-11, 03:19 PM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
To each his own. I want a phone I can take out of the box and get a good, smooth experience and stability. After having a Droid, rooting, trying hundreds of ROMs and kernels, and tons of hours tinkering, I'm done with a complicated phone OS that doesn't give me the results I want.

When I bought my wife an iPhone, it was day and night how much better iOS was than Android. I could actually type quickly, not have a laggy keyboard and lots of corrections. And even after 4 months of heavy use by my wife, the phone is still as fast and stable as it was out of the box. That's what I want.

What Android phone did you have? Honestly, Android is like Windows XP now. All phones have much more power than is required to run the OS.

And you don't have to run custom roms and you don't have to root it. Maybe you shouldn't have been messing around with those things. Gingerbread stock runs great on all devices made within the past year.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 05:27 PM   #10
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
What Android phone did you have? Honestly, Android is like Windows XP now. All phones have much more power than is required to run the OS.

And you don't have to run custom roms and you don't have to root it. Maybe you shouldn't have been messing around with those things. Gingerbread stock runs great on all devices made within the past year.
I had the OG Droid from Motorola. Great phone but it went downhill about 8 months ago.

I know you do have to but just having Clockwork/nandroid is totally worth it. GB never came out for the OG officially so Froyo it was, unless you use custom.
Old 09-20-11, 07:40 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

wow, some people just need to leave things alone.

my atrix is only rooted because i wanted titanium backup and adfree app. and its faster then my friends iphone 4 at similar tasks.

unexperienced user messings with things can just make things worse.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 08:27 PM   #12
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I'd say that's the most important number for any company and all market sectors
There is where you loose me. You aren't a company you are a consumer.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote