Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-21-11, 06:52 AM   #109
grey_1

Default Re: Microsoft BUILD - Windows 8 Unveiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
Thanks for this.

I've done my time with this for now. The under the hood changes may certainly be welcome, but the interface isn't for me. I don't want to have to pull anything down to 'glance at my desktop'....desktop is where everything happens for me, I want it up front.

This still being pre beta though I'll just wait to see where MS takes it. Hopefully metro will simply be relegated to an optional sidebar type app or it's own window like the control panel, anything that gives the option of not having to look at it - I don't want it, not at all.

So I stuck linux in my vm....just so I can feel sufficiently geeky.
Old 09-21-11, 11:44 AM   #110
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

So you release your most stable, best version of Windows EVER in years of development in the form of Windows 7 to then scrap the lot and create an abomination.

I hope Windows 8 falls flat on it's face, it is horrendous. Good for tablets, nothing more.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 12:13 PM   #111
ElL33t
Brobama

Same here Grey. I don't like win 8. I can see the possibilities of it but I don't want to use it until it is seamless going from metro to desktop. I want my desktop to be my default, not metro taking over like a invading army out to rape my womenz and livestock.
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 12:21 PM   #112
Rakeesh

It's such a shame too because the backend improvements they made to windows 8 are just phenomenal.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 12:34 PM   #113
grey_1

Well, it's such an early build yet - I'm hoping that by rc metro is given it's rightful place, which is an icon on the start menu at best imo.

I'll dl a later build in a few months and install it straight to hdd rather than in a vm and give it it's fair shake then. But there's nothing in this build but speed and memory management that makes me interested in leaving 7.

Meh - time will tell.
Old 09-21-11, 02:02 PM   #114
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I still haven't had a chance to test it out on my spare PC, but I'm really waiting until the beta or RC is available.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 04:43 PM   #115
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Well, it's such an early build yet - I'm hoping that by rc metro is given it's rightful place, which is an icon on the start menu at best imo.

I'll dl a later build in a few months and install it straight to hdd rather than in a vm and give it it's fair shake then. But there's nothing in this build but speed and memory management that makes me interested in leaving 7.

Meh - time will tell.
I will be honestly shocked to not see a DT environment that looks like windows 7 when 8 RTM gets here.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 04:57 PM   #116
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
I will be honestly shocked to not see a DT environment that looks like windows 7 when 8 RTM gets here.
Yeah me too. Thing is I can't rally say Metro is a "bad" idea, given the popularity of social networking and everything else it involves, but put it somewhere easily accessible and out of sight, maybe even a removable feature via the Programs and Features panel.

I'd be good with that.

EDIT: It's actually not so bad once all the garbage is removed from Metro. There's still very little control over icon placement, none over background and appearance of metro - but if that comes it may not be to painful to get used to.

Old 09-21-11, 06:17 PM   #117
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

"start" menu that takes up entire screen, is just a horrible idea.

"given the popularity of social networking" and about that, that might be ok with some, but there are people that simply don't want to be part of it, and considering how many windows pc are used at companies, **** like metro and social networking has no place in work enviroment.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 06:50 PM   #118
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
"start" menu that takes up entire screen, is just a horrible idea.

"given the popularity of social networking" and about that, that might be ok with some, but there are people that simply don't want to be part of it, and considering how many windows pc are used at companies, **** like metro and social networking has no place in work enviroment.
You left out the other part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
but put it somewhere easily accessible and out of sight, maybe even a removable feature via the Programs and Features panel.
Old 09-22-11, 02:23 AM   #119
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Well not entirely, social networking sites like LinkedIn are quite useful for businesses, and sales or otherwise customer facing people find a lot of use in the remainder of social networking media.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 06:13 AM   #120
mullet

This is going to be Vista all over again. People will stay with windows 7 like they did with XP.