Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-11, 11:53 PM   #1
k_ozz

Default Windows and Programs Partitions

On a 500gb drive is it better to partition it into 2 drives and install Windows on one and all my programs / games on the other. If so if I need to reload windows will I also have to reload all my programs or will they still work.

Thanks,

K
k_ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 12:16 AM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Windows and Programs Partitions

Having multiple partitions on a single drive is pointless anymore, in my opinion. If you're only installing one OS then just have one partition that's the full size of the drive. The only reason I can see for having multiple partitions is if each partition had a different OS on it. Even then that seems kinda' pointless when you could just run those different OSs in VMs.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 10:42 AM   #3
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Having multiple partitions on a single drive is pointless anymore, in my opinion. If you're only installing one OS then just have one partition that's the full size of the drive. The only reason I can see for having multiple partitions is if each partition had a different OS on it. Even then that seems kinda' pointless when you could just run those different OSs in VMs.
I don't partition any more either. I do run an OS hdd (SSD), a 500Gb "other stuff" hdd and a 1Tb backup so i don't have to dl games and apps over and over if I run into trouble, plus I keep a separate backup image of a fresh install.
Old 09-25-11, 06:36 PM   #4
k_ozz

So if you have to reload your OS hdd, do you have to reload all your programs again that are on the other drive or will the continue to work?
Old 09-26-11, 12:09 AM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ozz View Post
So if you have to reload your OS hdd, do you have to reload all your programs again that are on the other drive or will the continue to work?
You'll have to re-install the programs.

If you're worried about Steam that's easy- all of the games can be backed up to a seperate drive so all you do is re-install steam then copy over the game folders. Pretty straight forward.

Other wise you'll have to re-install each app. The only away to avoid this is with a program like Acronis True-image but that's going from one drive to a new one.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 12:26 AM   #6
k_ozz

That is what I thought...

Its such a pain having to reload..

Thanks Again.
Old 09-26-11, 12:39 AM   #7
Redeemed

NP.