Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-11, 03:18 PM   #49
|MaguS|

Default Re: Iphone 4S phone image leaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Just read that. Problem is that IMO it comes down to the OS when you compare those phones. All are pretty powerful, but it's the OS that carries it. Almost an apples to oranges argument here.
Yeah and IOS still fails to offer some basic functionality that I would need, like real multitasking.

A Dual Core CPU in the iPhone is pointless, we've seen more performance boost with more RAM on IOS than processing power. The only increase comes to gaming, standard use sees no benefit, they are adding it for a bullet point.
Old 10-04-11, 03:21 PM   #50
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah and IOS still fails to offer some basic functionality that I would need, like real multitasking.
I multitask on my iPad all the time. Call it app switching or whatever you want, but it works for me. I'm not trying to be a smartarse but someone please explain to me what Android multitasking does that iOS multitasking does not. Seriously. I'll admit to it's faults . . . if there are any differences.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 03:23 PM   #51
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

On the plus side you can compose your own ring tone! They are finally catching up with phone technology from over a decade ago.
Old 10-04-11, 03:32 PM   #52
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

So an 8MP camera huh? How old is my Droid Incredible? 8MP in there. 1GHZ dual core CPU? how old is my Droid Incredible? 1GHZ (single core but in the mobile space meh).

Anyway, I can;t agree that iOS is some kind of god-given mobile platform.

You, mr six, are as jaded as they come. That OG droid you used + the Eris are tainting your perception. I mean, it's no wonder you are so interested considering your phones you currently use are 2+ years old. I would never, in a zillion years, give up my Droid Inc for an iPhone 4s. iOS 5 has pull down notifications! Weeee!! Ah right, android. App access from lock screen? Weee!!! Oh wait, HTC Sense 3.0 and up. iOS 5 has lots of apps! Weeeeee!! Wait, so does android.

Besides all this, the 4s is an incremental update, and once you are in their ecosystem.. you are stuck with...

"This great new feature called Siri will change the world! But.. You gotta buy a whole new device to use it..."

My droid inc can run whatever flavor of Sense I want which means I don't have to keep buying new devices.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 03:33 PM   #53
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I guess real multi-tasking is when it drains your battery

Man, the haters are on it again.
I know I'm asking for a beating from the elitest around here, but I'm serious. I don't see a difference between the two.
Old 10-04-11, 03:34 PM   #54
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I guess real multi-tasking is when it drains your battery

Man, the haters are on it again.
?

I always here this. Android needs to be tailored for battery life.

I have heavy usage every day. Zillions of texts, internet, calling, google talk, scrabble... and i hit 13 hours with 70% battery remaining. Eat that iPhone.
Old 10-04-11, 03:43 PM   #55
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
So an 8MP camera huh? How old is my Droid Incredible? 8MP in there. 1GHZ dual core CPU? how old is my Droid Incredible? 1GHZ (single core but in the mobile space meh).
It's not all about MP, that's just a resolution. Doesn't count for the quality of the pic. My wife's iPhone 4 takes better pics than a couple of the Droid X2 and Incs floating around the office. Jussayin.

Quote:
You, mr six, are as jaded as they come. That OG droid you used + the Eris are tainting your perception. I mean, it's no wonder you are so interested considering your phones you currently use are 2+ years old.
Maybe so, but let's be honest. If I bought a new Android phone today, it would still have the same buggy, half-arsed app carrying, have to root and tinker OS. Just my opinion.

Quote:
I would never, in a zillion years, give up my Droid Inc for an iPhone 4s. iOS 5 has pull down notifications! Weeee!! Ah right, android. App access from lock screen? Weee!!! Oh wait, HTC Sense 3.0 and up. iOS 5 has lots of apps! Weeeeee!! Wait, so does android.
I'll agree that pull down notifications is a rip off. However, it's a good system that works. I'll give Android that. App access from the lock screen, meh, who cares. Lots of apps? Yes sir. iOS has the best selection of quality apps. This is debatable but I hate missing out on games and apps because I have Android. Yes Android is catching up but waiting sucks.

Quote:
Besides all this, the 4s is an incremental update, and once you are in their ecosystem.. you are stuck with...

"This great new feature called Siri will change the world! But.. You gotta buy a whole new device to use it..."

My droid inc can run whatever flavor of Sense I want which means I don't have to keep buying new devices.
Siri looks awesome. Android's voice commands are extremely sloppy and not accurate at all. I've tried to adapt to it and it just keep throwing up crazy words. Unusable IMO. Let's see how Siri does.

What about Airplay? There are no other offerings out there that I've seen that does the same just as easily. I know not everyone has an Apple TV, but it's a sweet combo, especially when showing photos, video, etc.

As for your last sentence, that involves TINKERING. No freakin way, no more. I'm so sick and tired of having to waste time with my devices just trying to get it to work the way it should. I've wasted enough of my time with Android. My wife's iPhone 4 worked (and still works) perfectly out of the box, no hassle and no fuss. Can't do that with Android. BLOATED out of the box! "Oh but you need to root, ADB shell into the phone. . . " Just stop right there. If it involves tinkering, then no thanks.
Old 10-04-11, 03:44 PM   #56
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
?

I always here this. Android needs to be tailored for battery life.

I have heavy usage every day. Zillions of texts, internet, calling, google talk, scrabble... and i hit 13 hours with 70% battery remaining. Eat that iPhone.
More tinkering required. No thanks.

Old 10-04-11, 03:50 PM   #57
zoomy942

In reference to your first post. I will never ever want to play games on my phone. My iPod does fine. What if i play a game for a bit then when I have 20% battery left cause IU was gaming all day, i need to make an emergency phone call?

I destroy my battery life on my main communication device. No thanks to that + 1 hundred billion.

As for tinkering, fair enough.

If you want to be "one of us" then you, my friend, will be warmly welcomed into the iFold.

Old 10-04-11, 03:54 PM   #58
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I multitask on my iPad all the time. Call it app switching or whatever you want, but it works for me. I'm not trying to be a smartarse but someone please explain to me what Android multitasking does that iOS multitasking does not. Seriously. I'll admit to it's faults . . . if there are any differences.
Play a game on Android or run an App that uses a lot of resources and if you switch to another app and try to resume that app later the OS needs to reload all the resources because it just caches a resume mark, not the resources the app requires. With Android you can jump between any app and it will resume instantly without needing to reload the resources. I can have 2 games running, text messaging and email all going without a single ounce of loading in between.
Old 10-04-11, 03:54 PM   #59
ViN86

With all due respect six, your view of Android is seriously flawed. You need to check out newer devices and Gingerbread.

Also, true multitasking allows apps to use CPU cycles in the background, instead of just holding them in memory. For comparison, it's like if you were to minimize your browser with a YouTube video playing, and your computer just froze it in memory (video stops, browser uses no CPU cycles), until you came back to it. It's good for some things (battery life, maybe saving some memory) but many services and other features which are very useful require it. It's kind of a Catch 22.

It is strange that my Samsung Omnia from 3 years ago (Windows Mobile 5.1, yuck) had true multitasking, and iOS still doesn't...

EDIT: Also as magus said, they release some of the cache to save memory

EDIT 2: Here's a good reference http://www.pcworld.com/article/19983...for_users.html
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 04:09 PM   #60
|MaguS|

BTW I just confirmed that the iPhone 4S on AT&T will run on HSDPA+ which means that the phone on AT&T should technically run 3x faster if not more on data. Verizon's and Sprints EVDO service is a joke, I'm guessing this is why they didn't announce it as a 4G device since it would really **** over those two.