Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-11, 05:11 PM   #61
ViN86

Default Re: Iphone 4S phone image leaked!

I'd still rather have an LTE phone. I should have waited earlier this year damnit...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 05:15 PM   #62
|MaguS|

It will be a while till it goes LTE I think. Our LTE and Verizon's do not run on the same frequency and I doubt Sprints upcoming LTE will do so as well.
Old 10-04-11, 05:16 PM   #63
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Wait, the iPhone has a 3.5" screen?

Droid Incredible = 3.8. I win again.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 05:17 PM   #64
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
Wait, the iPhone has a 3.5" screen?

Droid Incredible = 3.8. I win again.
Please refrain from entering the troll zone.
Old 10-04-11, 05:18 PM   #65
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Please refrain from entering the troll zone.
Okay. sorry.

I just like razing six. we gho back and forth on google talk all day.

/troll eliminated
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 05:42 PM   #66
ViN86

Quote:
Okay. sorry.

I just like razing six. we gho back and forth on google talk all day.

/troll eliminated
Old 10-04-11, 06:01 PM   #67
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
In reference to your first post. I will never ever want to play games on my phone. My iPod does fine. What if i play a game for a bit then when I have 20% battery left cause IU was gaming all day, i need to make an emergency phone call?

I destroy my battery life on my main communication device. No thanks to that + 1 hundred billion.

As for tinkering, fair enough.

If you want to be "one of us" then you, my friend, will be warmly welcomed into the iFold.

Who said that you absolutely had to play games on your phone? That's up to you. I always have a charger everywhere I go, so this is not a problem for me.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 06:07 PM   #68
six_storm

Quote:
With all due respect six, your view of Android is seriously flawed. You need to check out newer devices and Gingerbread.
Maybe so in some people's opinion. But I've owned my OG for 1.5 years, have had Gingerbread for months, tried multiple combinations of ROMs/Kernel/Android versions, yet none really work all that well IMO.

Lots of guys at my work have Evos, DX2s, Incs, and Inc 2s. To me, it's all the same OS with better hardware. Why would I buy a new Android phone if it's got the same ol' OS that I don't want?

Quote:
Also, true multitasking allows apps to use CPU cycles in the background, instead of just holding them in memory. For comparison, it's like if you were to minimize your browser with a YouTube video playing, and your computer just froze it in memory (video stops, browser uses no CPU cycles), until you came back to it. It's good for some things (battery life, maybe saving some memory) but many services and other features which are very useful require it. It's kind of a Catch 22.

It is strange that my Samsung Omnia from 3 years ago (Windows Mobile 5.1, yuck) had true multitasking, and iOS still doesn't...

EDIT: Also as magus said, they release some of the cache to save memory

EDIT 2: Here's a good reference http://www.pcworld.com/article/19983...for_users.html
Thanks for the resources. So maybe iOS does not have "true multitasking". However, not everyone runs 500+ apps at one time. I just got on my iPad, opened Wolfenstein 3D, "multitasked" to Mail, then to Safari, then to Tiny Tower, then back to Wolf3D. It was exactly where I left off. How is that not "multitasking"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Play a game on Android or run an App that uses a lot of resources and if you switch to another app and try to resume that app later the OS needs to reload all the resources because it just caches a resume mark, not the resources the app requires. With Android you can jump between any app and it will resume instantly without needing to reload the resources. I can have 2 games running, text messaging and email all going without a single ounce of loading in between.
Looks like I can do the same thing with no problem on my iPad. Just saying.

This "multitasking problem" may have been a problem in the past for iOS (OMg I can't play Pandora while checking email!!!11 What ever shall I do?!?!!) but it's not that way anymore.

Old 10-04-11, 06:13 PM   #69
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Maybe so in some people's opinion. But I've owned my OG for 1.5 years, have had Gingerbread for months, tried multiple combinations of ROMs/Kernel/Android versions, yet none really work all that well IMO.

Lots of guys at my work have Evos, DX2s, Incs, and Inc 2s. To me, it's all the same OS with better hardware. Why would I buy a new Android phone if it's got the same ol' OS that I don't want?

Thanks for the resources. So maybe iOS does not have "true multitasking". However, not everyone runs 500+ apps at one time. I just got on my iPad, opened Wolfenstein 3D, "multitasked" to Mail, then to Safari, then to Tiny Tower, then back to Wolf3D. It was exactly where I left off. How is that not "multitasking"?
I know six, we've heard the same thing from you many times.

Just check out a new Android device next time you're at the store. You really don't need to tinker with it. It's just like I said before, Android is like Windows XP on these newer phones. There's more than enough hardware to handle it.

Also, I think Android is superior to iOS simply because you can actually use it. You can install unapproved apps, browse files, etc. Most of those things require a jailbreak on iOS.
Old 10-04-11, 06:18 PM   #70
six_storm

Quote:
I know six, we've heard the same thing from you many times.

Just check out a new Android device next time you're at the store. You really don't need to tinker with it. It's just like I said before, Android is like Windows XP on these newer phones. There's more than enough hardware to handle it.

Also, I think Android is superior to iOS simply because you can actually use it. You can install unapproved apps, browse files, etc. Most of those things require a jailbreak on iOS.
Yes, I know I'm rehashing.

I'll definitely check them out.

I think it all comes down to how you use your phone. I don't personally care about widgets, unapproved apps, browsing files, etc. Just don't have a need for it.
Old 10-04-11, 06:40 PM   #71
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Yes, I know I'm rehashing.

I'll definitely check them out.

I think it all comes down to how you use your phone. I don't personally care about widgets, unapproved apps, browsing files, etc. Just don't have a need for it.
I know where you're coming from. I think there is a certain appeal to just being able to do all that I mentioned. Plus, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't browse my SD card. I keep so many files for work on my phone, and if I'm on the road, I will sometimes download files or edit them and transfer them to my PC later.
Old 10-04-11, 08:10 PM   #72
six_storm

Back on topic does anyone think that iPhone 5 is close to completion and they didn't unveil it today? Maybe it was 90% complete, but they wanted to wait, add 4G, etc?

I'm thumbing through the event video right now, I wanna see Siri in action.